Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Andy. David makes a mean Indy hat that's for sure.

Mine's probably taken more abuse than any of my hats and is up to the job.

I finally got around to adding a "Indy" hat to my collection thanks to a fellow lounger. i love the hat, it was advertised as a Heritage Fed IV, but the sweat says Federation Deluxe and I swear it's at least 1/4" taller than my carbon grey Fed IV imperial quality (and it's sweat says Fed IV" )

the bow work is very different too, not sure if it's from a different production era or if it's the difference between the Imperial vs Heritage quality. Regardless, I love it! and it fits great!

1024131817a.jpg

1024131853.jpg

1024131854.jpg

xxTvcDaIWKSUpyNGtU3P563EwCPOtKFDb1FPyxYv7fY=w927-h985-no

Purplesage

One Too Many
Nick Dermand, The Hatter Extra Quality Blue Velour Fedora

This is an interesting navy blue velour I acquired not too long ago for a very reasonable price. Sweatband indicates that hat was made by "Nick Dermand The Hatter, Webster City Iowa." Besides saying "Extra Quality" on the liner that is the only information I could find on the hat including behind the sweatband. The back taped seam of the 2" plus sweatband is cut a little crooked but I believe it is the original. I guess since this was a small town Hatter he wasn't too particular about the seam being perfectly straight! I believe it's from the 20s or 30s. Maybe someone on the forum could help me pin down a date (and no I'm not selling it) it was likely made. It has a 2" raw edge brim and a high 5 1/4" untaperd crown as shown and a 1 1/8 grosgrain ribbon with frayed edge on the trailing end of the bow. A very nice fall hat.

abe86836-4b7c-490c-b7fb-126172fbd54f_zps226a04cb.jpg

b2bc0cd9-8f68-4350-842e-e2e2ddff25ff_zps34d98d3f.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh589/Moveoetproficio/Blue%20Velour/947f8241-f336-45b9-8b52-01271ebafa60_zps9d018a09.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh589/Moveoetproficio/Blue%20Velour/ccd22307-acd3-4990-bd17-4adc68ac47ac_zpsfc3791fa.jpg
14182163-0ef8-447f-89c0-c7c3c4946c0e_zps12a94616.jpg

ae021173-2aa0-4e86-81ba-ae30509a3db3_zps03831402.jpg

photo1-85_zps359030f1.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Wow Andy nice hat! What was the turnaround on that and are there head shots yet?

Roger - head shots coming today, though perhaps not typical Indy shots. Turnaround was a bit over two months. I opted for the bunny felt at $200. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone with the beaver. That being said, the hat is extremely comfortable. The sweat is a very soft sweat, perhaps not fully leather - which may sound like a negative, but it's not. Since the hat is "turned" to bring the bow to the front of the left ear once placed on the head, a more traditional full leather sweat would be a bit stiff and would probably chafe the forehead. This hat feels comfortable even with the Indy Turn. Definitely recommended, and a great alternative at around the same price to the a Fed Deluxe delivered to the States - and I love my Feds.

Robfedorafield, What a find! Sweet hat, and you look delighted with it, sir!

Purplesage, that looks like a spectacular specimen.... Is it possible that the hat was manufactured by someone else, and renovated by Mr. Dermand later on? It IS a real beauty.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Nick Dermand The Hatter Newspaper Articles

Here are a couple of articles I found that Mention Mr. Dermand.

Kossuth County Advance, March 27,1952

Algonian Has Hat-Making Hobby; Makes New Shapes j Everyone's talking about the G--Algona (Iowa) Advance Thursday, March 27, 1952 Dormar; Jones shapss a felt hat which he is rebuilding. Jones' profitable hobby is mailing men's hats, and his shop is filled with forms for every shape and size of head. ' Dorman Jones doesn't '..worry when a March wind blows away his hat. He just sits down and makes another one. Jones makes men's hats as a sort of profitable hobby, when he isn't working as a u i v clcsncr at the Algona Laundry. He learned this trade about 10 years ago in Webster City from Nick Dermand who' was once a hatter in Greece. Jones formerly owned a dry cleaning plant in Webster City. ' Jones also repairs and rebuilds old hats, turning them inside out and front to back, reshaping them and putting in new sweatbands and lining. · In his shop. Jones has a different "block" for every shape and size of crown, and a "flange" for every different -brim. He also has a brim-cutter, which he can adjust to the size and shape o .the brim. Jones makes the hat exclusively for the head of the individual buyer, and orders the material of the buyer's choice. The material for the crown Comes in a roughly conial shape, and Jones turns it on a rotating block and press- es it with steam, shringing it to the finished shape of the wear- j er s head. The brim is made in I the same manner, and cut to h shape with the brim-cutter. Then the parts are assembled and the trim is added. Jones said that he makes his i hats only as a hobby, and does i not advertise his work. However, he has made hats for several people in Algona, and takes great pride in a good job. He said that there are not many people in Iowa who follow the same hobby, but that it is a highly interesting one. Publisher Geo. H. Williams, of j the Spencer Times, is still adher- I ing to his no-smoking program, i but confesses that abstinence re! quires a 'rugged' period now and then. "People who say they never want a cigarette after the first week or so," he says, "are putting out so much malarkey j as far as we are concerned. Our i desire to smoke has not been f nearly so great as when we first j quit, but the yen really comes I back now and then." Like so many other foods ffbodU Value "SHOW MOWN"' }? VALUE P E R C I V A L M O T O R S 800 S- Phillips St.' ALGONA. IA. Art The Order of the Day · ·-* ' v'.,.;'' ' · · · * \ ' · . . ' · " ' Give Your Car a Complete Spring Servicing You Will Be Repaid In Added Mileage and Too bad. Someone tried to call - and look at that phone I No ring, no answer, no telephoning for anybody on the line. So please make sure the receiver is firmly resting where it belongs, not propped up by a book so that no calls can cone through. NORTHWESTERN BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY Chrome Service Station Highways 18 and 169 Clements Sinclair Service Ki E. Stats Wagner's D-X Service 304 N. Jones Wallburg s Texaco Hi-ways 18 and 169 Russ Ky's Super Service 302 E. Stale Storm Hopkins Super Service 400 E. State _,,, iNEWSPAPERl

OBITUARYS Arthur Ferdinand Kelting
Born: January 27, 1917
Passed: July 9, 2012
Funeral Home: Foster Funeral and Cremation Center - Webster City, Iowa
Arthur Ferdinand Kelting was born near Downer, Minnesota on January 27, 1917. He was first named William Henry after the Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. When the United States declared war on Germany during April of 1917, the German community marched to the house and demanded the family change the name or they would place a yellow ribbon around the house to isolate them. Although his name was changed, the family forgot to change the name on his birth certificate. It wasn't until he tried to enter the Army Air Corps and needed his birth certificate did his mother realize they had not officially changed his name.
The Kelting family moved to Webster City in 1924 where Art was educated and graduated with the class of 1936. Growing up in Webster City during the Great Depression, he worked at Dermand's Café, delivered papers and shined shoes for Nick Dermand. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1941 and became a B-17 bomber pilot stationed in England and Italy. After his discharge, he married Darlene Delores Johnson on April 22, 1946. He worked for Allied Mills and purchased Middleton Produce in 1954 from Lee and Georgia Middleton. Later he worked at Kautzky's Sporting Goods store and then became part owner of Sports World with Ted Williams....

Latoso

Familiar Face
I posted these on the Optimo Southside Mobsters Thread. But since I'm new here, I'll post them here as well.

I bought my first two "real" hats back in August, which are the first two you'll see. The last one I just got in October and I have one in the oven, so to speak, which will be ready in November. I really don't take good pictures, so I hope they came out ok.

Here is my Steel Color Lightweight Trilby:

IMG_5640_zpsffb835b2.jpg

Teardrop Fedora Montecristi Panama:

IMG_5643_zpsafdcf51e.jpg

And my Space Color Optimo 1000 Rush Street:

IMG_5645_zpsaa9be4ff.jpg

I also have one being made right now. It's going to be a Medium Weight, Ash Color Trilby with a flecked finish. And I'll probably have a Milan made in the spring when I can decide on a ribbon. Tiffany showed me so many beautiful vintage ones that it's difficult to decide.

sufidancer

New in Town
Royal_Stetson_liner.jpg
[/IMG]Greetings lads and ladies, I pulled the trigger yesterday on this Stetson Royal in mink.
It looks to be in decent shape but I can not seem to get a idea of its age. Any thoughts?
Royal_Stetson_Left.jpg

I'd like to add that I have been lurking here for years so I thought I'd join the fray.
I paid 74 total for the hat which I thought was fair.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Disney 15

Got this hat today in the mail from bond, and it's a real beauty! It's a Disney 15 in a light green/sage color. 2 3/4 brim, 5 1/2 open crown. The felt is dense and soft.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The stitching in the sweat is incredibly tight:
image.jpg

A 15 for $15.
image.jpg

The only other label in the hat:
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Cross-posting to the Disney Diner.

A

Purplesage

One Too Many
Nice looking Disney. Great color combination. Looks sage in the photos sitting on the sofa but brown on your head. Amazing what lighting will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW