Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, Thoroughbred are good hats as far as I'm concerned. I know they were built by Langenberg at one point, but don't know if it was just Langenberg. Check out that thread, you'll see it on the poster of Langenberg brands.

John Galt

Vendor

John Galt

Vendor
yes the hat was called the boss of the plains. In the book that i have about the history of stetson. Supposedly one night while with a bunch of horsemen he dug a hole in the dirt, and shaped the crown of the hat in the hole and from their the boss of the plains was made. He wanted a hat that would keep the sun off of those out in the elements.
Now i could be wrong but this is what i've read. Most people think that old west hats were large brimmed hats. They weren't, they were actually top hats, homburgs, and derbys, until the boss of the plains.

I have read a lot about this. My understanding is that after selling the first cowboy hat, JB Stetson returned East and made gentleman's hats with little success, and that it was not until he sent out free samples of the Boss of the Plains and demanded a high price for the unique hat he had created, that he really had success. This topic is discussed in detail elsewhere in this forum.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I also read somewhere, that it was actually British Christy's, that made the first wide brimmed hat of that design, and that JBS lost a lawsuit and had to pay license to Christy's. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it's an interesting story :)

There were German and Austrian hats that had a similar look and were earlier. Hecker (led the failed Baden Revolution) wore such a hat and he came to America in the 1850s.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks for the encouraging words, gentlemen. Be a long time before I even begin to think of myself as a pro, JG. Maybe more like the mythical "barefoot hatter" that I've seen referred to elsewhere in these pages. As for the sweatband (one of JW's by the way), it should be good, you showed me how to do it.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I also read somewhere, that it was actually British Christy's, that made the first wide brimmed hat of that design, and that JBS lost a lawsuit and had to pay license to Christy's. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but it's an interesting story :)

Ah, you have to be skeptical to be an historian. The story is almost certainly false. If you Google the story, every single website quotes it almost verbatim. I dug to the bottom of it by contacting Professor Moore a few years ago - the very same gentleman from the Internet stories. He informed me that he came across the information in the Christys archives in the 1970s, on a handwritten scrap of paper. That's the sole source for the story. Since then, his researchers have been unable to find a court case in the U.K. involving Stetson and Christys, and I have been unable to find a court case in the U.S. Additionally, the handwritten scrap of paper has mysteriously disappeared from the Christys archives, Moore told me. In any case, it would be hard to get a design patent on a low-crown, wide-brimmed hat, considering similar hats had been around for centuries.

I also believe the tale of Stetson making and selling a hat while traveling in Colorado in the 1860s to be very suspect. First, the only source for the story is what John B. himself said. I understand the process of making hats, even using non-mechanized, century-old methods, and the idea of him making one in the wild, while not impossible, seems unlikely and so the story is probably apocryphal. Mythbusters should check this one out! Second, hats with wide brims and low crowns weren't unknown to people in Colorado in the 1860s. The cowboys that came up after the Civil War would have certainly been familiar with that style of hat, though they really didn't arrive until after the Civil War, and after Stetson is said to have been here. Many of the miners at the time were from the South, having come from the Georgia gold fields. Wide-brim slouch hats were pretty common there, too. In short, the idea that Stetson made a hat on the plains of Colorado and found a willing buyer who was so enamored with it that he would pay dearly seems too farfetched. There were plenty of stores in the mining camps and in the towns along the Front Range in the 1860s to buy hats. What I do believe is that John B. Stetson came to Colorado and saw a great potential market out west for hats, and became very good at marketing. The South and the West were his best customers. I searched a number of years ago in Colorado newspapers of the era, and the first mentions I can find of Stetson hats being sold in Colorado stores was in the 1880s. It doesn't mean it didn't happen earlier, though.

I probably sound like a curmudgeon, but sometimes that's the role a historian must play.

Brad

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, Thoroughbred are good hats as far as I'm concerned. I know they were built by Langenberg at one point, but don't know if it was just Langenberg. Check out that thread, you'll see it on the poster of Langenberg brands.
I'll search it. Thanks.

As far as wide brimmed hats, they were used in Europe before J.B. Stetson.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Brad, I would have wondered, if you hadn't been to the bottom of this ;)

I included my "truth-disclaimer" for a reason. I hear all the time, that it's so easy to learn to programme and work with web from the web itself. As a programmer and web-developer I know, that it takes a trained professional to dig out the articles and tutorials, that are not packed with incorrect hearsay, misunderstandings, omissions and serious errors. Most articles are written by amateurs, who read some articles/tuts and found themselves knowing enough to teach others. And some of the most popular and visited "educational" sites are the worst!

We shouldn't forget, that while the new-found ease of publication has provided us with an era of information - it has also provided us with an era of misinformation. It's not, that there aren't holes in the bullsh*t out there ... they are just sometimes very hard to find ;)

Thanks for clearing up the matter, Brad. Actually a pity! I kind of liked the story - and it fit so well with the fact, that CIA kept Lee H. Oswald hidden away in a desert camp, until he was sent to Abbottabad to kill Bin Laden. Just in time, as Mr. Laden was about to reveal, that it actually was Elvis who killed JFK and his brother. Oh yeah ... if people only knew ...!!! lol

Last edited:
Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ole - you're right, fighting misinformation on the Internet is like putting out a forest fire with a garden hose. We do what we can to set the record straight, but it's almost a losing battle. Like fighting the myth that JFK killed hat-wearing, a myth perpetrated by hat manufacturers themselves. We'll never get the record straight on that one.

mayserwegener - excellent point! More evidence for my hypothesis.

Brad

g.durand

One Too Many
Stetson Stratoliner, early to mid-'40s based on the price tag, size label, crest, etc. It's in great condition and the sweatband is soft, pliable and appears almost new. Unlined, with no crown tip, it appears to have never had either. Compared to post-War Stetsons the felt is less dense and the pouncing is courser, but it is easily shaped and re-shaped. All of these lead me to believe it was produced when fur and other materials were scarce due to wartime restrictions, and is typical of the entry level hat it was at the time.

strat2_zps34a4e270.jpg

strat3_zpsa800154e.jpg

strat4_zpsb728ee69.jpg

strat5_zps0f149e54.jpg

strat6_zps8e959cae.jpg

strat7_zps34c76a1e.jpg

stratoliner6_zpsf408915f.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member