Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
very nice work indeed

has a nice vintage look to it

you've done a fantastic job with it.... and it looks great on you

enjoy that wonderful hat ... I have that very hat on my head as I type this
859754d4c4ee98633fd7d49f4b6ab90e.jpg

Real Nice hat Moon !!! Also looks cool on you !

Keep wearing it !

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Thank you RJR. Snap brim is 2 and 3/4 in w deep enuff flange to snap down with a short brim break. Crown is 5in at low point in center and sides rise to 5 and 3/4, back down to slightly less than 5 at rear. Simple center crease.
Bob, I just saw the pics of this new hat yesterday; looks great! Can you (or anyone else in the know, who's reading this) elaborate on the part of your description which I've emphasized, here and, perhaps explain what, if any, effect it has on the brim?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, I just saw the pics of this new hat yesterday; looks great! Can you (or anyone else in the know, who's reading this) elaborate on the part of your description which I've emphasized, here and, perhaps explain what, if any, effect it has on the brim?

Thx Nyah. Some hatters use other terms but it's just a snap brim. I personally like to sometimes keep my brim up as well as wear it snapped down. The break were the brim changes from going down to up is often called the "break." If it is a short brim break it's more towards the front of the crown rather than the center. I don't like it when the whole first half (or more) of the brim snaps or flops down. Thats why I like a deeper flange but not TOO deep.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well.... I've never owned a true western and I saw this one for an unbeatable price .... A price that I thought the box alone was worth.
So here is a nice Caxton .... Needs a brushing and a shaping and there are a few spots.
But the felt is nice... The interior is awesome... And the box is fantastic
73793bdf5d76eeaef01e0ef92fc810ec.jpg
5fcf60e5edcd2d0d647bbbce4fb4eaed.jpg
be6460daae31b4389697bb7210f88714.jpg
93f22a7300f382ac9cd778e63fe626f1.jpg
6bfca415340f01aca56b78043a85e6fd.jpg
89904a06485f373d2f8bf4bea83467fa.jpg
9b15a30eb4ac2c0c16550757b576d603.jpg

b3a6dd6a17c22e707252676dfd2db1ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one, Moon!
It's not squashed, that dent is called a 'mule kick' and it's a fairly traditional western style crease.
I really like the look of the wide ribbon on it. Definately gives off a vintage vibe.
Good find.

tommyK

One Too Many
Nice Moon, glad you got that one. I agree, that is a nice box, the hat is a bonus! Kind of funny that such a big western hat came out of New Jersey originally

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nice one, Moon!
It's not squashed, that dent is called a 'mule kick' and it's a fairly traditional western style crease.
I really like the look of the wide ribbon on it. Definately gives off a vintage vibe.
Good find.

"Mule kick." Learned something new today! :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys

Yeah I am aware of the mule kick.... That's not what I was referring to when I said it needs some shaping... Mostly the brim... It has lost a little life.

Overall nice hat though and I'm happy to own it

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Nice Moon, glad you got that one. I agree, that is a nice box, the hat is a bonus! Kind of funny that such a big western hat came out of New Jersey originally

Yeah
I found out that the store was an equestrian supply store that existed about 5 miles from where I grew up . They opened somewhere around 1940 and closed in the early 60s due to some rioting in the area.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Thx Nyah. Some hatters use other terms but it's just a snap brim. I personally like to sometimes keep my brim up as well as wear it snapped down. The break were the brim changes from going down to up is often called the "break." If it is a short brim break it's more towards the front of the crown rather than the center. I don't like it when the whole first half (or more) of the brim snaps or flops down. Thats why I like a deeper flange but not TOO deep.
So when you say "deeper" flange, would that be a flange with a larger radius or, the opposite? As for the 'brim break', I'm gathering that you like this section to be closer to the crown than to the middle of the brim. Please tell me if I have that all wrong. I do notice on some fedoras, in down-snapped mode, that the brim takes on a steeper incline about halfway towards the edge, which I'm now imagining is a longer brim-break than what your hat has.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys
I gave her a good brushing and shaped her up a bit and fixed up the mule kick.... I kinda dig it.
Never been a cowboy hat guy but... I have to admit... This hat is quite nice and I'm glad I picked it up for sure.

Joao I know it's kinda stingy ... but I feel this one is a little more your speed :)

b0208bb3efcfd38d07042a2a9407e66f.jpg
0bc04ee4075264a9512d24ae0e2f38d3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn