Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
Gosh ... even Moon's $2.00 hats are better than my good ones. This is what I find for $2.00. Even so I couldn't leave it behind. It will be another cleaning experiment. Assuming it is a Resistol or Byer-Rolnick with the Melorol stamp. Lining long gone. It will fit my wife, but may end up a farm hat. Harris Bros. was around from 1896 until the 1990s so that doesn't narrow down the date much.

25916391755_0b9470c914_z.jpg

25287692753_75ea8d3314_z.jpg

25283688604_d14d921010_z.jpg

25615835140_4d093004e0_z.jpg
Love me or hate me. I love the grime. If it was a 7 1/4, I'd want it.

- Andrew

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
What's funny is that all 5 Borsalinos that I own are shades of gray like heroin

... not that I know anything about heroin

2a041d33cb5052371553df8e25874290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peep the Buddy Rich trap case on the right

got it from Mannys Music when it closed down .. (tear) ... Buddy would regularly dump gear there after a tour much to the chagrin of Manny and his son Henry.
after a winter tour in 1971 Buddy dumped that case and a bunch of other stuff at Mannys and it sat there until Mannys grandson gave it to me the day they closed down.

RIP Mannys Music , W 48th between 6th and 7th

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
What's funny is that all 5 Borsalinos that I own are shades of gray like heroin

... not that I know anything about heroin

2a041d33cb5052371553df8e25874290.jpg

For your information and edification, here is an actual statement that I heard from a self-described "life-long substance abuser" about heroin,
"Heroin, ... I just don't get. ... You throw up ... and then ... you fall asleep."

They are from Israel. I bought all three that I have straight from the source, so I know that much. They definitely have a "Jewish shop keeper" vibe about them in their original form. Good luck turning the brim down on these bad boys. They are STIFF.
- Andrew
Thank you for the info. The brim on this one is actually pretty soft, but it still snaps down (and back up) easily. The crown, on the other hand, is really stiff and somewhat resistant to shaping, which is why I think the original crease was done by the hatter.

Speaking of whom, I had thought the embossed name "E. Shamir" on the sweatband was a personalization done for the original owner. Now that I see yours has the same marking, I'm thinking it's probably the hatter's name (and "Haifa" below that, the shop's location). Nice! This hat has probably seen more of the world than I have. :p

I love a character hat
Preach it loud, brother!

And, by the way, great hat Mr. Hufford! If it was a size larger...

Hell of a day for new hats!!

Killer find Bob! And you can't beat the cost. I think I might be tempted to wear it pretty close to 'as-is' for awhile. You can always clean it up later.

It looks killer, Al! Brim up all the way. That hat has plenty of attitude. You definitely rock it. Annoy in good health my friend!

5d7d8857570ca2cce73fe8bbf7d108f0.jpg

$5 Borsalino

As a fellow owner of a $5 Borsalino, I can attest that you absolutely would be hard pressed to find a better hat for the money.

Congrats on a knock down sweet score!

This thing is a work of art!

Agreed! Sublime. Congrats on that catch!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
For your information and edification, here is an actual statement that I heard from a self-described "life-long substance abuser" about heroin,
"Heroin, ... I just don't get. ... You throw up ... and then ... you fall asleep."

As someone who has watched many close friends fall into the trap and some even lose the "dinosaur" battle I can say that sure is what it looked like to me ... although they would describe it as a security blanket of warm gravy being poured all over them... while they were alive anyway

Way to bring the room down moonie...

Anyway ... How 'bout that Spurs / Warriors game ?

... who's got a new hat to share ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany