Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
this Cedar Brown CD showed up yesterday .
as I expected it is typical Akubra less than mediocre construction completely unimpressive hat....
It is hard as a rock and stiff as a board.
The flanging is awful
It has the famous toliker line on the brim that Akubra for some reason cannot get figured out and frankly doesn't seem to care to.
It looks to have been pounced by a child.
The color is somewhat patchy.
All of this just further solidified my opinion of Akubra hats that they are highly overrated poorly made hats made of very mediocre materials.
I should have known better but I figured I would give them one more chance... I wasted my money.
Can't say I'm disappointed because I sort of expected this... but this hat is in no way worth what I spent on it.
I know Akubra gets very hyped here and I respect those who swear by them... but this hat is a costume hat at best

So after that glowing review... who wants it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moon,

Tell us what you really think.

Looks good. Is it soft/pliable?
Bob, this is the first Heritage grade I have owned. It is noticeably stiffer than my mid-brown CD but I can't remember how old the mid-brown is. As you know mid-brown hasn't been offered from Akubra for a few yrs now. I don't notice much difference between it & my BGCD I bought sometime in 2015; the difference I do notice seems to be mostly in the brim.

The sweat in the Heritage grade is very nice. Assuming a proper fit I think most of the comfort or lack thereof in wearing a hat is going to come from the sweat & the weight of the felt. Except for the variation in fit at this point I'm not sure I could tell the difference between this one & my BGCD if I were blindfolded & they were placed upon my head.

I can work with this, I'm happy with it.

Moonstone Campdraft just arrived.

I had been thinking about an OR Cattleman style center crease with long side dents because I don't have one. I remember now why I personally don't have one! This hat will be getting a diamond or teardrop crease when I have more time.

I love the Moonstone color with CD specs.

Looks great Jack! I do like that color. If I were to get another CD, I'd have to seriously consider Moonstone. Enjoy it!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Early 1950s(?) Royal Stetson Open Road in dark gray. Since it came from the same seller, it must have been the stablemate to Anthony's museum-quality Premier Strat. I've been after one in this color for some time.

4976c7dc41b7226946eba967d2bc9607.jpg
32586bd02901ed6ee918cf071845e291.jpg

8a161e62a6560a7befbdcf3aacfa0dc5.jpg
29de1e59d93a3db7b343bfc10f6589d8.jpg
8be81fe469048c87d4d236595c7a54b1.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, this is the first Heritage grade I have owned. It is noticeably stiffer than my mid-brown CD but I can't remember how old the mid-brown is. As you know mid-brown hasn't been offered from Akubra for a few yrs now. I don't notice much difference between it & my BGCD I bought sometime in 2015; the difference I do notice seems to be mostly in the brim.

The sweat in the Heritage grade is very nice. Assuming a proper fit I think most of the comfort or lack thereof in wearing a hat is going to come from the sweat & the weight of the felt. Except for the variation in fit at this point I'm not sure I could tell the difference between this one & my BGCD if I were blindfolded & they were placed upon my head.

I can work with this, I'm happy with it.
Thx. Glad yer happy w it. Btw, I do like the way it's flanged also.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
this Cedar Brown CD showed up yesterday .
as I expected it is typical Akubra less than mediocre construction completely unimpressive hat....
It is hard as a rock and stiff as a board.
The flanging is awful
It has the famous toliker line on the brim that Akubra for some reason cannot get figured out and frankly doesn't seem to care to.
It looks to have been pounced by a child.
The color is somewhat patchy.
All of this just further solidified my opinion of Akubra hats that they are highly overrated poorly made hats made of very mediocre materials.
I should have known better but I figured I would give them one more chance... I wasted my money.
Can't say I'm disappointed because I sort of expected this... but this hat is in no way worth what I spent on it.
I know Akubra gets very hyped here and I respect those who swear by them... but this hat is a costume hat at best

So after that glowing review... who wants it?

09fb460f7245d2e53ee14f54e072792a.jpg

I received my cedar brown Campdraft yesterday after it took a pre-holiday detour to Midland. Although my initial thoughts are more forgiving than Anthony's, I highly advise anyone considering ordering one to order one size down. This thing fits like a 7 3/8 (59) over the tagged size 58.

The felt is thick and not terribly pliable, but overall I like it if I can get it to fit. That all being said, I prefer my RM hat about 10X more than the cedar brown CD. Akubra's felt quality does not seem to be the big issue for me so much as their inconsistent sizing. The RM hat fit a size smaller, the BGCD fit a little large, and the SBCD fit just right (just too stiff).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I received my cedar brown Campdraft yesterday after it took a pre-holiday detour to Midland. Although my initial thoughts are more forgiving than Anthony's, I highly advise anyone considering ordering one to order one size down. This thing fits like a 7 3/8 (59) over the tagged size 58.

The felt is thick and not terribly pliable, but overall I like it if I can get it to fit. That all being said, I prefer my RM hat about 10X more than the cedar brown CD. Akubra's felt quality does not seem to be the big issue for me so much as their inconsistent sizing. The RM hat fit a size smaller, the BGCD fit a little large, and the SBCD fit just right (just too stiff).
Love to see some pics creased or uncreased.

"Wiener ????", measures 54cm, no company mark, probably late 1940s early 1950s. This tiny gem came with a Hückel Hat Box I found. There are no company marks but the brown Velour is fantastic. You can see the nap shine at the crown back edge. I can't make out the word after Wiener ???? (Made?) so if you have any ideas please let me know.

31812457992_5c08df3043_b.jpg

31923427976_19b1ac5d69_b.jpg

31923223266_a6b10ff128_b.jpg

31151045373_2c8153c107_b.jpg

31960154545_4290f33bef_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24