Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Hey Gene, that Stetson 20 looks great on you! You carry a wide brim just fine and that hat is a real beauty.

So I guess I shouldn't trim off that Mode Edge with scissors - - is that what you're all saying!?

JUST KIDDING.

Thanks, Mr. P., and others for the confidence boost with this one. It is a great hat in its own right and I'll certainly wear it based on the opinions.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Two today from an antique extravaganza. Champ thin ribbon, 5" crown bashed and 2 3/4" brim. $8.

The Champ is sharp looking (and the price is truly amazing) but how's the quality? Do you like it from that standpoint? I've seen many Champs with great style, but have yet to handle one that impressed me in the hand quality-wise. Maybe I just haven't found a good one. Admittedly, I haven't handled more than six or eight. I'm curious, What do you think about yours in terms of quality?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
The Champ is sharp looking (and the price is truly amazing) but how's the quality? Do you like it from that standpoint? I've seen many Champs with great style, but have yet to handle one that impressed me in the hand quality-wise. Maybe I just haven't found a good one. Admittedly, I haven't handled more than six or eight. I'm curious, What do you think about yours in terms of quality?

Frankly, Champ is one of my favorite companies. This hat as well as my other Champs seem to be very good quality with dense and soft felt. The colors and styles they offered also seem to have been good. They weren't the highest priced brand around but they did make quality hats. Hopefully you'll find a good one soon.

The only 'crap' Champ I have is this Featherweight and it's crap only because it's had a very hard life and it shrunk after I tried cleaning it. :eek:
1940sChampFeatherweight.jpg

Whippet clone. Extremely soft felt.
1940sChampWhippetclone001.jpg

Another Whippet clone. Great colors.
1940sChampWhippetclone002.jpg

1950sChampBoater.jpg

I'm sure others have had good experiences with Champ too.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for sharing your impressions of Champ hats. I'll continue to keep my mind and eyes open. As I said, I do like their style. Apparently, the particular hats that I've seen just weren't the best examples. Perhaps too Champ made several grades of hat as did everyone else. In any event, I would like to find one that turns me on. In time I probably will. The one that you've shared with us here certainly looks very nice. And, again, what a price!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Stetson Derby

Just got this the other day. I didn't really need a derby, but it seemed like a good buy, and an interesting hat.

I'd love some help with the dating. I was wondering about '30s? It's in decent shape. The ribbon needs a little stitching (I will do that, probably), and the sweat needs some attention (not sure I'll tackle that). It looks to me like the sweat was never stitched together. I see no stitching holes, and there is tape on the back. I do think there used to be a little bow where the sweat was joined, but it is gone. Otherwise, the sweat is good... supple.

The logo on the sweat that is hard to read is "Since 1850 (60?, 80?) - Pantke Harpke Co. - Exclusive Hatters - Milwaukee".

Looks like there was an insignia on the inside crown... almost all worn off. The felt is is quite good shape, and it is a true 7 1/2. It's a little tight on me. I may end up passing this one on.

Anj

Edited to "derby" instead of "bowler". Thanks, Brad.

stetson_bowler.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just going by the taped sweatband, your Stetson Derby is roughly no newer than the mid-1930s, but I'd guess it's probably circa 1930, looking at the entire package.

Very nice find. It's got a squared-off look to it, making it different from the standard Derby crown.

Brad

Warbaby

One Too Many
Two new old fedoras...

The thrift shop here is really great, but they rarely have any hats. Friday was my lucky day - two nice old fedoras in my size for $5 each. Any info on dating them would be greatly appreciated.

The first is a Royal Stetson Open Road. 2 1/4" brim and 4 1/4" crown. Not too clean, but no stains or moth damage. A good brushing helped, but the band will definitely need to be cleaned or replaced. The whole hat could use a good cleaning so it may become my first project for learning to clean it myself.

I like the tight pinch and the high curl to the sides.

StetsonB8.jpg

StetsonB10.jpg

StetsonLabel1.jpg

StetsonLiner.jpg

The other hat is a Christys. 2 5/8" brim, 4 5/8" crown. Pretty clean condition with no stains or moth damage. The sweatband leather looks a bit dry and needs something to revive it (any suggestions?). The unusual thing about this hat is that the felt is super thin and supple (some would say floppy). It's very light, weighing in at 82 gms - a bit under 3 oz.

ChristysB5.jpg

ChristysB6.jpg

ChristysLabel2.jpg

ChristysLabel1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Warbaby, that is some quality merchandise at great thrift prices. Good for you!

The Open Road looks grey instead of the more usual Silverbelly. That's a desirable color for one of those. I'm guessing '50s or '60s for that hat but would be interested in other opinions. Too bad about the sweatband. New replacements can be obtained at Hatsupply.com or keep your eyes open for another bargain on a hat that may be a donor.

The Christy's is really a fine hat. I've wanted one for a long time and yours is a beaut'! Probably same era and nice proportions. Try Lexol leather conditioner on the sweatband but be prepared that it might not come back around. Once they are brittle, sweat itself usually turns them to goo.

Still, great finds.

Warbaby

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Wow, Warbaby, that is some quality merchandise at great thrift prices. Good for you!

The Open Road looks grey instead of the more usual Silverbelly. That's a desirable color for one of those. I'm guessing '50s or '60s for that hat but would be interested in other opinions. Too bad about the sweatband. New replacements can be obtained at Hatsupply.com or keep your eyes open for another bargain on a hat that may be a donor.

The Christy's is really a fine hat. I've wanted one for a long time and yours is a beaut'! Probably same era and nice proportions. Try Lexol leather conditioner on the sweatband but be prepared that it might not come back around. Once they are brittle, sweat itself usually turns them to goo.

Still, great finds.

The color of the Open Road is a medium grey. The sweatband is fine - it's the skinny hat band that's pretty grubby. I'm gonna take it off and wash it to see if it perks up enough to still use. Otherwise it gets a new band after I clean the hat. Fortunately the band on the Christy's isn't brittle or cracked - still soft, just feels dry. Thanks for the Lexol tip. I haven't used the stuff in long enough that I'd forgotten about it - I think it'll prolly do the trick. Just didn't want to use something that would stay oily and make my hair greasy.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Thanks for the Lexol tip. I haven't used the stuff in long enough that I'd forgotten about it - I think it'll prolly do the trick. Just didn't want to use something that would stay oily and make my hair greasy.

Loungers turned me on to Lexol six or so months ago. By now I've used it on several hats and have been very pleased. All you need is a thin application and it's absorbed completely overnight. I haven't noticed any oily or greasy residue whatsoever.

Wegener Grey (1950s)

1950s Grey Wegener (Germany) size 59cm that just arrived. I have to thank Mario for the tip on this one. Super nice hat and a very rare find!

3651103299_a11c6d7a8f_b.jpg

3651103409_b0997b234b_b.jpg

3651103565_6a1a1f4147_b.jpg

3651901684_ac05d57ff7_b.jpg
pg[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes