Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I received the Resistol "The Dealer" that I bought the other day, unfortunately this one is going back to the seller. It is a little too smelly for me to want to wear.
View attachment 561855 View attachment 561856 View attachment 561857

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Odor-Pr...700416678&sprefix=zero+odor+pr,aps,864&sr=8-3

TThis stuff is pretty amazing. It removed strong cigarette smell from my Rolnick with just a couple light applications. It can eliminate musty smells as well.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
So far. They are a particularly severe variant of HAS.

Looks great on you! Wear it to Wal-Mart … no one will consider it any more weird than what you see there on a daily basis and it will help you get used to it.
And if they ever saw the movie A Clockwork Orange they’ll let you get to the head of the checkout line too.
B
4DFADFE1-2A94-4924-B9A5-B34C4F3EB632.png

gilligan

One of the Regulars
My new aquisition just came in the mail today. I picked this up for a song from a lady on the internet and it's absolutely a beauty.
It was her father in laws hat that he had since new. Not sure, but I believe he may have hardly ever wore it or never at all. The color is a beautiful blue shade. Even came with the original box but that was pretty trashed to say the least. In the box was a wrapped Muriel cigar and a plastic rain cover with the original paper work for the cover. Hard to find size 7 3/8. Hope I'm posting pics of this in the correct forum.
stetson stetsonian 1.jpg
stetson stetsonian 2.jpg
stetson stetsonian 3.jpg
stetson stetsonian 5.jpg
stetson stetsonian 6.jpg
stetson stetsonian 7.jpg
stetson stetsonian 8.jpg

My new aquisition just came in the mail today. I picked this up for a song from a lady on the internet and it's absolutely a beauty.
It was her father in laws hat that he had since new. Not sure, but I believe he may have hardly ever wore it or never at all. The color is a beautiful blue shade. Even came with the original box but that was pretty trashed to say the least. In the box was a wrapped Muriel cigar and a plastic rain cover with the original paper work for the cover. Hard to find size 7 3/8. Hope I'm posting pics of this in the correct forum. View attachment 562376 View attachment 562377 View attachment 562378 View attachment 562379 View attachment 562380 View attachment 562381 View attachment 562382

Beautiful hat. That wide binding is incredible.

Any chance of seeing the tags/labels behind the sweatband?

We have a dedicated thread to show off new hats, and we have a Stetsonian thread….no harm done, but you might consider adding to an existing thread rather than starting a new one. Just sort of the way it’s done around here. Just a thought.

gilligan

One of the Regulars

We have a dedicated thread to show off new hats, and we have a Stetsonian thread….no harm done, but you might consider adding to an existing thread rather than starting a new one. Just sort of the way it’s done around here. Just a thought.
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I was on the Stetsonian thread but wasn't sure I wa on the correct forum as there were other hats mentioned and shown. But good advice, I'll post the pics there. I'll get some more photos of the tags and labels.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I was on the Stetsonian thread but wasn't sure I wa on the correct forum as there were other hats mentioned and shown. But good advice, I'll post the pics there. I'll get some more photos of the tags and labels.

Attachments

• stetson stetsonian inner sweat # 1.jpg
    stetson stetsonian inner sweat # 1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 50
  • stetson stetsonian inner sweat # 2.jpg
    stetson stetsonian inner sweat # 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 48

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I figured that's what he was referring to and to my surprise none of those tags were there, only the stamped numbers in the leather. As pristine as the hat is, I can't imagine the owner would have removed them somewhere along the line. Even the original size tag is there, not even a crease in the cardboard.
I think Brent may have been asking about reorder and size tags like these that may be hidden just under the edge of the liner (under the sweat).

View attachment 562420

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I think Brent may have been asking about reorder and size tags like these that may be hidden just under the edge of the liner (under the sweat).

View attachment 562420
My bad, I had to really look as I don't believe the band had ever been pulled back to see these tags. Even the clear sweat guard wasn't even wrinkled. I may be the first to see these since the hat left the factory.

Attachments

• stetonian tag # 1.jpg
    stetonian tag # 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • stetonian tag #2.jpg
    stetonian tag #2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 51

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Hi Brent, here's the pics of the tags which I really had to dig to find them. I don't believe these were ever looked at other than when they were put there at the factory.

Attachments

• stetonian tag # 1.jpg
    stetonian tag # 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • stetonian tag #2.jpg
    stetonian tag #2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 39

gilligan

One of the Regulars

Hi Brent, if you can tell by the tag numbers are what year this hat is, please let me know. ;)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I had anticipated that I had a couple of curiosities relating to the end of hat making in Italy
Chicago 1930 1.jpg
It is a period in which these hats arrive on the market with something unexpected, the latest very interesting creations, of an industry in crisis, capable of inventing splendid hats with laughable marketing
Chicago 1930 interno.jpg
Today it's the turn of a hat bearing the "Chicago 1930" brand, implying its similarity to gangster hats
Chicago 1930 5.jpg
Instead it is a typical Italian shaped hat with a medium crown and wide brims, typical of the 1950s
Chicago 1930 3.jpg
What is interesting and what made me buy it, despite it not being my size, is the rough and shiny Mixed felt (wool+fur) with a fantastic "honey" color, called on the paper label "anni 30 satinè" :)
Chicago 1930 Etichetta carta.jpg
The finishes are top notch and I'm not able to identify the hat factory that made this beautiful specimen during the season of decline.
Chicago 1930 marchio.jpg
In summary: "Chicago Years 1930 " measures 58 centimeters or 5 1/2 French Points and 7 1/4 in the States.
Chicago 1930 7.jpg
The measurements are: the hemmed brims of the same color as the felt, in constrast with the brown ribbon are 7 cm., the ribbon measures 4 cm. and the crown, fully open, is 15.5 centimeters
Chicago 1930 8.jpg

Meanwhile, the first one has finally arrived to show itself. The sequel will come soon

Hi Brent, here's the pics of the tags which I really had to dig to find them. I don't believe these were ever looked at other than when they were put there at the factory.

With rare exceptions, all we can come up with are approximations of dates. Someone else might be able to narrow it down more than me, but the tags on your hat were used in the 1940s and into the first few years of the 1950s.

It’s a grand hat and I’d love to find one in my size. Most well-cared for hats of this era are nice, but this is something special. Congratulations on getting to be its caretaker.

Mighty44

One Too Many
It was her father in laws hat that he had since new. Not sure, but I believe he may have hardly ever wore it or never at all. The color is a beautiful blue shade. Even came with the original box but that was pretty trashed to say the least. In the box was a wrapped Muriel cigar and a plastic rain cover with the original paper work for the cover. Hard to find size 7 3/8. Hope I'm posting pics of this in the correct forum. View attachment 562376 View attachment 562377 View attachment 562378 View attachment 562379 View attachment 562380 View attachment 562381 View attachment 562382
Wow!

I had anticipated that I had a couple of curiosities relating to the end of hat making in Italy
View attachment 562436
It is a period in which these hats arrive on the market with something unexpected, the latest very interesting creations, of an industry in crisis, capable of inventing splendid hats with laughable marketing
View attachment 562437
Today it's the turn of a hat bearing the "Chicago 1930" brand, implying its similarity to gangster hats
View attachment 562438
Instead it is a typical Italian shaped hat with a medium crown and wide brims, typical of the 1950s
View attachment 562439
What is interesting and what made me buy it, despite it not being my size, is the rough and shiny Mixed felt (wool+fur) with a fantastic "honey" color, called on the paper label "anni 30 satinè" :)
View attachment 562440
The finishes are top notch and I'm not able to identify the hat factory that made this beautiful specimen during the season of decline.
View attachment 562441
In summary: "Chicago Years 1930 " measures 58 centimeters or 5 1/2 French Points and 7 1/4 in the States.
View attachment 562442
The measurements are: the hemmed brims of the same color as the felt, in constrast with the brown ribbon are 7 cm., the ribbon measures 4 cm. and the crown, fully open, is 15.5 centimeters
View attachment 562443
Meanwhile, the first one has finally arrived to show itself. The sequel will come soon
Very cool hat, Daniele.

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hot off the Borsalino assembly line. The Charlait serikon tesa med.
I stopped by the local hat shop and the proprietor was eager to show me the latest hats and the new Borsalino colors. I did not have a taupe like color in a melusine finish so I once again gave into my impulses.
9E560079-EA80-4893-BD7B-FABE01313A11.jpeg
C853D234-F490-4623-9C83-8790B4BB52E9.jpeg
D8995C47-9069-47A4-9536-3A9FDFFBF1FE.jpeg
D24E1E2F-3CBB-4782-B91A-D588619E11E5.jpeg
05262422-4454-45B4-961F-F9755B9FEC9F.jpeg
F7CCBE94-457C-4F27-9BF0-5430A3FCE8A3.jpeg

Attachments

• CA66331E-BC1D-46FE-B696-FCC0DE9965EC.jpeg
    CA66331E-BC1D-46FE-B696-FCC0DE9965EC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35

gilligan

One of the Regulars
With rare exceptions, all we can come up with are approximations of dates. Someone else might be able to narrow it down more than me, but the tags on your hat were used in the 1940s and into the first few years of the 1950s.

It’s a grand hat and I’d love to find one in my size. Most well-cared for hats of this era are nice, but this is something special. Congratulations on getting to be its caretaker.
Thanks Brent, I really appreciate that. I figured it's definitely a 1940s for sure. Thank you again for the kind words and it definitely is a special beauty that I was fortunate enough to find.

Thanks Brent, I really appreciate that. I figured it's definitely a 1940s for sure. Thank you again for the kind words and it definitely is a special beauty that I was fortunate enough to find.

I don’t see anything myself that definitely puts it in the 1940s, but it could well be. Family stories etc. generally cannot be trusted. I have many hats that family assured me “grandpa” was wearin in his wedding photo in 1946 when I can tell definitively that the hat was made in the 1960s.

Occasionally, we do see some date stamped hats which really help. Without certain and verifiable provenance or date stamps, all we can do is speculate on a date range. OPA and OPS and NRA markings are wonderful, but they are the exceptions. Dating hats is usually an imprecise science and it’s far more common for sellers to state their hats are older than they actually are then it is for them to claim they are newer than they are.

In the end, it probably doesn’t matter what the exact age of a hat is, or even which decade it was made it. A hat made the last day of 1949 or the first day of 1950 will be equally wonderful! :)

IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff