Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[
QUOTE=Eduard]
havana01.jpg

Got my Montecristi Havana today

[/QUOTE]

That's nice looking, Eduard. What is the wpsi and how wide is the brim? I like it.​

Eduard

Familiar Face
BobC said:
That's nice looking, Eduard. What is the wpsi and how wide is the brim? I like it.

Thank you for the compliment.
Counting sure is a hell of a job :rolleyes: ... It has 28 x 30 rows of weave per inch. Bought it as a 800 WPI fino-fino so it's even better than aspected. This hat is woven very well. Tight, straight and regular. The color is also great, almost none red and grayish straw...
The brim is 3.2".

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
New Lee

Posted pictures wearing it in other threads, but here's the hat itself.

This is the Lee I won off eBay that I posted earlier. It's gray, almost light brown in some lights. I thought the ribbon was black, it's actually a darker gray. Good condition, though there's a couple small nibbles in the felt at the back of the crown. The edge seems to be possibly a faux Cavanagh.

DSC07826.jpg

DSC07827.jpg

DSC07828.jpg

On the sweatband is the following: L.S. Ayres & Co, Indianapolis; Light-Lee; Water-Bloc--Lee--Fifth Avenue; Silver Label; Du Pont--Water Repelling--Shape Retaining; Long Oval; GAM
DSC07831.jpg

Not sure of the age, but it's a darn fine hat!

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
I posted a link to this on another thread, but thought I'd put it up here too.
It's my boy in his new Akubra Airstream. Which cost me the princely sum of $4.75.

Sure it's in bad condition, but I've given it a brush and a wash and it's looking beter already.

014.JPG

ipokebadgers

New in Town
ADHD,

That is a great picture. 18 years ago my oldest daughter had a friend who wore nothing but jeans and a IJ Fedora. No shoes or shirt. They were both three at the time. You son looks very comfortable in that hat.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Nick D said:
Posted pictures wearing it in other threads, but here's the hat itself.

This is the Lee I won off eBay that I posted earlier. It's gray, almost light brown in some lights. I thought the ribbon was black, it's actually a darker gray. Good condition, though there's a couple small nibbles in the felt at the back of the crown. The edge seems to be possibly a faux Cavanagh.

DSC07826.jpg

DSC07827.jpg

DSC07828.jpg

On the sweatband is the following: L.S. Ayres & Co, Indianapolis; Light-Lee; Water-Bloc--Lee--Fifth Avenue; Silver Label; Du Pont--Water Repelling--Shape Retaining; Long Oval; GAM
DSC07831.jpg

Not sure of the age, but it's a darn fine hat!

Great looking hat Nick D

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Indiana Bob and the Christys Adventurer...

Just a few days ago while wandering the boards over at COW for the first time, I came across a thread about the 'Adventurer', a genuine fur felt fedora made for the English firm Christys.

According to various comments made by those more expert than I, this hat bore a "striking resemblance" to the current version of the Herbert Johnson Poet, the original 'Indy hat', and moreover there was much lyrical waxing over the fact that the 'Adventurer' is currently available from Hornet's Hats of London for just £50 ($99 USD) plus shipping.

You might well imagine that at this point Two Gun Bob's trigger finger was twitching, and having fired off a round or two in the direction of Hornet's hats, a large box arrived yesterday containing an 'Adventurer' in the colour Sable, and my usual size 60cm (UK 7 and 3/8), which was a perfect fit, neither loose nor too tight.

The rabbit fur felt of this hat is far thinner than the stiff wool of the DP, and I understand it's also thinner and floppier than some other popular hats like the Akubras. The brim nonetheless snaps down nicely. The hat is supplied open crown with a strongly flanged brim. This is not a heavy-duty hat like the Akubras but will certainly serve me well until I can raid a few gold coins for something more top of the line!

Today I gave this great value lid my first ever proper 'bash'. Generally this was very easy but I needed to apply some cold water and a modicum of steam to the rear brim to effect a more subtle curl at the back. I'm quite pleased with the results for my first efforts.

I think this is a great hat for very little money, and about a milion light years ahead of my Dorfman Pacific official hat :D

To see Hornet's Hats range of Christys fur felt hats, check out: http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Fur Felts

Pix below (the light spot on the front of hat shot is due to dust in the air):

HatOnHead2.jpg

HatFront2b.jpg

HatLeft2.jpg

HatBack2.jpg

HatRight2.jpg

HatInside2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic