Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful hats all around, Robert. However, the Knox interests me the most. Would you say that this hat dates from the late 20's? (HCA startup 1932) What interests me the most, is about the Knox "Superfine" line. I know that this hat is pretty old, but Ive owned two knox "Superfine" hats from the 50's and the logo is fairly similar. My question is, was the Knox "Superfine" line a line that was dedicated to hats that looked different from ordinary hats at the time? For example, my first Knox Superfine was a chocolate brown felt with a bright orange ribbon and wide honey colored brim binding. That color combo and look was a bit "loud" by comparison to MOST hats made in the 50's. My second Knox Superfine is a dual colored felt. The brim is brown and the crown is grey with a purplish domino pattern ribbon. That hat was also a bit loud for the time. It seems that your Superfine, though it was an early example, seems a bit "different" from most hats made at the time. So do you think that the Superfine line was a line dedicated to "different" more "interesting" hats?

A price point:
5517339947_78826902de_b.jpg

5517329143_00c142d34f_o.png

5517322913_a19bb72fae_o.png

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
So I would assume that Ive seen more radical looking hats in Knox's Superfine line because there were at a higher price point. Therefore, more radical options=high price point? Or just a coincidence?

Special finishes, ribbon work, maybe better lining and sweatband or general fur quality? Where quality and marketing intersect is always a tough call.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Special finishes, ribbon work, maybe better lining and sweatband or general fur quality? Where quality and marketing intersect is always a tough call.

I meant "radical" as in trim work, ribbon, liner, etc. I would assume that "Superfine" meant better felt quality or at least a better felt finish than the "Extra Quality" or "Premier." I'm sure marketing had a good amount to do with it though. Thanks for the information, Robert. I not trying to be a pest. Just trying to find an explanation to the amount of "Superfine" varieties that Ive seen. But maybe there is no explanation. [huh]

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I meant "radical" as in trim work, ribbon, liner, etc. I would assume that "Superfine" meant better felt quality or at least a better felt finish than the "Extra Quality" or "Premier." I'm sure marketing had a good amount to do with it though. Thanks for the information, Robert. I not trying to be a pest. Just trying to find an explanation to the amount of "Superfine" varieties that Ive seen. But maybe there is no explanation. [huh]

superfly.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just won an old Biltmore Imperial Homburg from the Bay. It was described as having three small holes on the crown. Turns out there are many more, and the underside of the brim is simply riddled with them (Don't worry-- I paid a whopping $11.99).
It needs a severe stretching, and I'm working with trying to sand down some of the moth bites, etc. In other words, it's a project hat for me to fiddle with. I'll post pics when I can.

But
it's a beautiful color that I can't put my finger on: mostly a grey, with undertones of green and brown. Biltmore Imperial doesn't appear to make a color like it nowadays, at least that I can find on the internet.
Can anyone recommend a hatter that stocks a color like this, and that makes a good homburg? I haven't seen any color like it on Art Fawcett's website, or Optimo, or Penman (not that I can afford them at the moment anyway).

Iwan Plomp

New in Town
Hello. My Name is Iwan. Im From Holland. I life in Rotterdam. And i dont have a lot of pictures of miself wearing a Fedora. Just the one now in a Baileys Hats Fedora that i have now for a mont or so.
It started me of to liking Fedoras that i orderd the Christys Adventurer At Hornets, a shop that i learned of from this forum. and i orderd a Federation 4 from Hats Direct. i wil post a picture of me whit the hats when i have them.
I have some other hats to. like the one in my avatar. the Baileys Hats Tino that i like very much. what kind of hat is the tino by the way? a trilby? or could it also be some kind of fedora? (dont shoot me)
so. very nice to learn of this forum.
I wish you people a very good day. and speak to you later.

Kind regards
Iwan plomp

Ps. i just came back to this post because i dont know how i can upload pictures to my post. maybe someone can help me whit it. Thanks. Iwan.
home.php
i just get a red X

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just won an old Biltmore Imperial Homburg from the Bay. It was described as having three small holes on the crown. Turns out there are many more, and the underside of the brim is simply riddled with them (Don't worry-- I paid a whopping $11.99).
It needs a severe stretching, and I'm working with trying to sand down some of the moth bites, etc. In other words, it's a project hat for me to fiddle with. I'll post pics when I can.

But
it's a beautiful color that I can't put my finger on: mostly a grey, with undertones of green and brown. Biltmore Imperial doesn't appear to make a color like it nowadays, at least that I can find on the internet.
Can anyone recommend a hatter that stocks a color like this, and that makes a good homburg? I haven't seen any color like it on Art Fawcett's website, or Optimo, or Penman (not that I can afford them at the moment anyway).

well here it is: still a little tight and moth-bitten, and of course the pics don't quite capture the color.
0076b.jpg
[/IMG]
0086.jpg
[/IMG]
0162.jpg
[/IMG]
018zt.jpg
[/IMG]

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I received this awesome Portis this weekend from a lounger in the classifieds...
185e2e34.jpg

I just couldn't do the porkpie - so I changed it up to suit my style.
83621f21.jpg

Thanks Randall! I love the trim on this one and it fits like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael