Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The loden green western hat I got from Alan arrived late this afternoon. I was hoping to be able to wear it in its original crease, but alas, I could not pull it off. It morphed rather quickly and easily into a teardrop, and I played with the brim shape a bit.

This hat is made of some of the nicest, most rugged, thick felt I have...felt. I adore the color, and even the width of the brim, and the taller-than-I'm-used-to open crown made for a nice deep telescope in the teardrop.

Quite frankly, this is exactly what I have imagined Akubra CDs to feel like. Regardless of whether I'm correct or not, it convinces me that I still want one in Bluegrass Green when I can find it. So far I need a few strips of foam for fit, but it's not so loose that it wouldn't stay on in a summer sweat! I think I can train it.

Thanks, Alan!

Here are a few quick still-wet shots.

006copy.jpg

008copyx.jpg

003copyy.jpg

scooter

Practically Family
Couple sharp sombreros there for Insolent Puppy and B'man, that converted Western wide brim looks VERY nice.

Hey Brad, is that because the cav edge process is so labor intensive or what?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I thought a felted/cav/mode edge was done in the felting process? Does Optimo make their own felts now?

You're right, what I meant is that I wonder if the place where Graham gets his felt would do cav edges for him if they had the equipment. I wonder if selling hats with this treatment would be worth it for him.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Graham was one of the hatters pressuring Winchester to offer them, so I'm sure he's asked the same thing of his new felter. His current felter has probably never had any experience with them, since, outside of Borsalino, they weren't produced in Europe. Winchester at least has the advantage that they've made them before.

There's no mysterious Cavanagh Edge machine, and it really takes very little in the way of special equipment: a sewing machine attachment, a hot water bath, and special shackles. It's the process and labor that makes them difficult.

Brad

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
Thanks to all for your kind comments about the Mallory XV, but especially to Douglas for selling it to me. I've found that the more my face is hidden the better my hats look.

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
You want a brim that is bound with ribbon or has a Cavanagh edge which is a sewn edge. cavanagh edge primer
I wear a lot of my Milan summer hats with the brim up as brim up is a more casual look to me. A stingy brim hat works best for the brim up look if you want to go with that look on your hats.
Thanks for the advice, Ed and everyone. I did some more research and came up with this little number. It knocked the wind out of me. What do you guys think of this one? It looks to be a pretty close match to the fedora worn by Morgan Freeman in "Shawshank Redemption". It's the classic English Trilby by Christys. 4" crown, 2-1/4" brim. It's out of my price range, but I think I may have just moved my price range up!
christystrilby.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Christy's are alright hats for the price as long as you don't get them wet. An Akubra will give you more bang for the buck. Buy I honestly think if you hold out for ebay you would be able to find a vintage hat like a Stetson or a Resistol which would fit the bill.

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
Christy's are alright hats for the price as long as you don't get them wet. An Akubra will give you more bang for the buck. Buy I honestly think if you hold out for ebay you would be able to find a vintage hat like a Stetson or a Resistol which would fit the bill.

Whoah, how bad is it when they get wet? This will sound completely stupid, but....is there wire in the brim to help hold the shape? I will look on eBay again. Thanks for the advice!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up

I've owned at least 3 christy's, never had a problem with them getting wet.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Whoah, how bad is it when they get wet? This will sound completely stupid, but....is there wire in the brim to help hold the shape? I will look on eBay again. Thanks for the advice!

Well, the felt Christy's uses is not that dense, and as I understand it, their hats are dry blocked. That is to say, when the basic felt cone is dropped over the hat block (which gives a hat its shape, and in this case, its crease as well) they it is done without water or steam. Christy's hats have thus been known to shrink and taper with exposure to the elements.

No wires in the brim. A good felt hat should keep its shape, or be able to be shaped with steam or water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy