Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Jeff, Your new Tumwater looks great brim up!

Robert, Super color combos on that Cavanagh OPS! Fantastic find as usual!

djd, Your Steele and Jones wears great!

djd

Practically Family
DJH, it's a great hat. I've had quite a few indy hats over the years and this is my favourite. The only thing that's 'wrong' is the ribbon is a little too brown compared to the correct colour. It's only apparent if you stick it side by side with my AB. The felt colour is lovely. Has a real warmth to it which sets it apart from all the other modern felts used by Indy hat makers

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
Thanks. He's talking about Steele and Jones Herbert Johnson project. It's designed to be a close copy of a 1980 (raiders of the lost Ark era) HJ, right down to the liner

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the Steele and Jones. The guy had been posting on the COW Indygear forum about how this hat came about.

I think the result is fantastic and the ribbon looks great. I'm not an Indy fan with a desire for authenticity though. The felt looks to be super nice in the photo.

djd

Practically Family
It's beautiful felt. I asked for this one to be bashed to a 4.25" front height unlike the 4.5-4.75" that is more common for Indy hats. It looks far better with my face shape than a taller hat I think

One cup over the line... a small DunkinDonuts coffee at about 2:30 on the ride home today and now I'm still up (it's late here). So, here are a couple of treasures I picked up unexpectedly over the weekend.

A gentleman of 85 years of age offered for sale his grandfather's derby, (size 7-14) which had been in his possession for over 60 years. My guess for the age of this hat...90-ish, or made circa 1920. Nearly PERFECT condition!! He also had a much more recent (my guess is 1960) Cavanagh boater, size 7-3/8. I grabbed both!
The Besse Bryant Bowler...
IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4276.jpg IMG_4275.jpg IMG_4271.jpg IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4293.jpg IMG_4291.jpg IMG_4277.jpg IMG_4278.jpg

A bit too small for me, but how'd I do otherwise? Any opinions of its age, please?

Last edited:
Thank you, Richard, Cheps, and DJD.
Last week an unusual win on Ebay bought this Peters Bros. fedora. I bid low, based on the size info, which was only the inside major and minor axises dimensions as measured by the seller. And it fits!!!
IMG_4158.jpg IMG_4144.jpg IMG_4145.jpg IMG_4146.jpg IMG_4147.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24