Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Brad I'll have to check the Westward to see if it has "Factory Store" stamped on the back. It's packed up right now so I'll have to find it. Maybe some of these "Factory Store" hats were prototypes! I reposted the heather Rainbow block #511 which I think dates to the early 50s as well. I'll have to look for another example of a HCA block #0335. I'm sure someone on the lounge probably has a hat with this block number.

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
Vintage 1970s Dobbs Straw in Dune color. Interesting bash in the crown. According to seller, he's never seen anything like it either. Considering an updated crown design if nothing else.

itsbruce

Familiar Face
This afternoon I wandered into a second-hand shop on Portobello Road and discovered this vintage Herbert Johnson black homburg. Bargained them down a little and bought it - it's exactly my size, so I couldn't really walk away from it.

14452145435_68ee6b9909_c.jpg

14265705097_b8aed9887b_c.jpg

It needs a wee bit of a clean but is in great condition. Very chuffed to have found it.

In the lining it says "By appointment, hatters to HM the King", so it's early 50s at the very latest.

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
Ordinary Guy: Yeah! How 'bout that!

1mach1: It is interesting!

Rick Blaine: It is a beautiful blank slate! Thinking about it but it has to be the 'proper' hands! ;)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Made in america "biltmore"

This has arrived. A Stetson Weekender clone.
I was hoping they would send an older Canadian model (Sierra trading post has both), but this is a "Made in USA" Texas Hatco. product. And I must say with all the Stetson bashing ;) I was prepared for the worst and happily surprised! It's no 194o's Borsalino, but I like it very much, thus far. Needless to say I've not worn it & won't for several months, 90 here today.

The felt is not too thick, a little "airy" but reasonably dense. It reminds me very much of the Lagomarsino I have from S.A. (Argentina). I REALLY like the "Black Oak" color ( ♫ Jim Dandy to the rescue! ♫ ...any old timers out there? hello?) a deep toned green but w/o being O.D. The sweat is narrow but quite soft glove-like, soft, cushy leather, feels great, not the belts as everyone else seems to favor. The block is nice. An attractive factory teardrop. And it actually does not rest atop my cranium, it ain't a high, high crown, per se, but higher & better than many of the contemporary hats I see with LAC syndrome. It's an underwelt safari dimensional (2 3/4 x 2 3/8) brim that "swoops" great. Nice hand to the felt, very soft & smooth. No signs of reported powder shedding. The only thing that gives me pause, perhaps, is the band. I'm not sure dead pheasant (grouse?) is really about me... what is the consensus? It makes me feel like a bit like Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute. It may have to go in favor of leather or a pale pleated pug'.

Given what has been said I will liberally cover it with scout rain & stain or campdry or scotchgaurd, because almost everyone speaks of the Hatco. felt tapering in the rain 'til you're wearing "The Sorting Hat" from Harry Potter.

I'll keep posting codes I get (presuming someone might need a Biltmore) 'til they stop sending 'em to me, I suppose, 'cause I got it to my door for $72 & change, shipped, all things considered, I am quite happy. A conservative 8 of 10, IMO, your mileage may differ.

Bruce, that is a nice find! Looks great.

Rick, I like the dimensional cut and underwelt of that Biltmore. Very interesting. I'll bet a hat band change to a grosgrain would kick it up a notch!

tropicalbob

Newjack - Funny you should say that about the bash, as the VS straw that I just got yesterday has, I think, pretty much the same bash. I asked Art Fawcett to model it on one I saw on Etsy. I'll post some pics soon. And that's a beautiful hat.

tropicalbob

RB -- I've seen that hat advertised before but never really looked at it, as I generally avoid safaris-types. That's a very cool one, though, and at $70 it's a steal. That color's really nice and would look fine with a brown leather jacket. I'm not sure I follow you on the band, though.

Rick Blaine

RB -- I've seen that hat advertised before but never really looked at it, as I generally avoid safaris-types. That's a very cool one, though, and at $70 it's a steal. That color's really nice and would look fine with a brown leather jacket. I'm not sure I follow you on the band, though.

I think you could be successful in turning the rear brim up, as a dress hat, certainly if you had a flange, I would think.

The band, being made of grouse feathers, will take some getting used to, but you're right, it's very low key & doesn't really register as feather unless you scrutinize it.
I like the narrowness of the band, serves to accentuate the crown height.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Just received this beautiful 1944-47 Champ. I think it is a featherweight because it has the Champ logo stamped on the inside of the hat (barely visible in the third picture) and it is very light. It has a $5 price tag which happened in 1944 I believe and was $5 till '48. Felt is stunning.

IMG_7341.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7342.JPG
    IMG_7342.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
Ordinary Guy and 1mach1: Thanks gentlemen! Although it's 7 5/8, the seller mentions a nice snug but comfortable fit in spite of its larger listed size. My noggin is a 7 1/2! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy