Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Yup, it's a good find regardless. As you say, at the very least you have the satisfaction of saving a historical artifact.

It's a safe bet we aren't the only ones around here to take such satisfaction in preserving stuff that somehow survived more or less intact long after most other examples had gone to the trash heap.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Justin. I like that Stetson you've been sportin' lately.

Tony I hate to imagine what all went to that trash heap :-(

That's always the dilemma, ain't it? What gets saved? And what gets thrown away?

Stuff gets old, goes out of style, is made obsolete. For whatever reason, it gets shoved aside.

And it gets in the way. So it gets tossed. Can't hold onto everything.

I'm not the only one who has speculated on the ultimate disposition of what must have been millions upon millions of hat blocks and flanges. The woodstove is a good guess. As is the landfill. It's enough to make you cry.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That's always the dilemma, ain't it? What gets saved? And what gets thrown away?
Yes it is... that is why I have a room full of things I can't simply throw away.

Stuff gets old, goes out of style, is made obsolete. For whatever reason, it gets shoved aside.
Out of style if you want. You don't have to follow every years style. I don't.
Things go obsolete when you want. I bought a 10 year old computer because that was what I could afford then and used it 5 more years until I had to gave up as internet (mainly because crap flash every website is full now) showed how old the machine was (and amazingly after 6 years flash is still crap and can take your $2000 computer to a halt!!).

Landman

One Too Many
Rogera,

That is a beautiful old Stetson! The Open Road is interesting too. It appears somebody put a newer liner and sweatband in an older hat. The felt looks so soft that I bet it will be a very comfortable hat.

Like others have already stated, I think I would be hesitant to try and clean up that mark on the Stetson just because it is in such a visible site. However, if you are intent on trying or going to send it out for a major overhaul, here is something you might try first. I had very good luck doing this to remove a felt tip pen mark on a silverbelly felt western hat.

Try dabbing the spot with a clean white cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol 50%). You just want to lightly dab it and not rub it around. If it is working, the white cloth will start showing the stain it is absorbing. Dab it, then move to another area of the clean white cloth and dab it again. You don't want to dab it with the stained area of the cloth. It worked well for me but my stain was in an area that was not as noticeable on the back of the brim. I don't think I would try it though unless you are prepared to have it professionally cleaned or have the hat turned around like Tonyb suggested.

Great looking hat though...even with the slight stain. Gives it some character!

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Landman, I'm sure I'll just leave the grey Stetson alone. I mainly wanted that silver hair paint off of the sweatband! Until I found those block tags on the Open Road I knew it had to be an old hat because of how moldable and clay like that felt is. I have a more recent (late eighties) open road I re-blocked on my 52 and that felt feels like card board. The consistency is odd,not easy to work with.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Yet Another One I forgot to List .

Bought this awhile ago but I must have gotten overwhelmed with work and or whatever as I completely forgot about this derby till I just went into my purshase history on Free bay and also saw this one . I like it alot but have only worn it once since I bought it !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...nlzIM3Et2MOK%2B8FwYpM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Purplesage

One Too Many
Knox Premier Custom Edge

Navy blue Knox Premier Custom Edge in great shape. Aside from a few smudges on the liner the hat appears almost brand new. I'm guessing circa 30's. No union label.

photo1-153_zpsec959b75.jpg

photo3-147_zpsf38f63d6.jpg

photo5-151_zps85438b1d.jpg

photo2-118_zpsb8e810a3.jpg

photo5-149_zpsb8c99e9a.jpg

photo3-18_zpsf3360384.jpg

photo2-18_zpsb029c584.jpg

photo1-40_zps6828827a.jpg

photo3-12_zpsbac82509.jpg

photo4-24_zpse8c88873.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Stetson Fifteen 3x mode edge.Have had this hat for awhile.Finally got around to fix the bow keeper and give a much needed naptha bath.It had no tags and no liner when I found it.I like my hats to have liners so I made one for it.The nice thing is it fits my 23" long oval pretty darn good.Really like this hat.

Ianthepilot

New in Town
Here's something I picked up at least partially because I couldn't find anything on it here on the lounge.

QJf6tlw.jpg

It's a fur felt number by Sterkowski, little hat making company in Warsaw.
Thinking I'll write up a fleshed out review about this hat since there isn't much available online, post it up here somewhere on the hat forum if people think it'd add anything to the site, be something anyone would want to read about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis