Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Alan what is weird is that in the three hats (same color different size) only in one there is the label.
It seems to me as they are a second choice marked in another way.
In the fifties north west Italy is full of hatters and many contractors worked for the main hatters or the second choice of a great tardemark could be another possibility.
The seller has others of this lot to sell in smaller size and others of an Italian label never heard. Those hats in photos seems better than these I have on hands.

Alan what is weird is that in the three hats (same color different size) only in one there is the label.
In the fifties north west Italy is full of hatters and many contractors worked for the main hatters or the second choice of a great tardemark could be another possibility.Ok
The seller has others of this lot to sell in smaller size and others of an Italian label never heard. Those hats in photos seems better than these I have on hands.

I see similar with German hats from the same time period. They are made by a known factory but most have no company mark on the paper label and no other company marks. For example this hat was made for Hut Seidel München by Mayser but no company mark present. I could only tell by the format of the paper label. Quality can be very high (equal to branded) like this Hut Seidel München. By the way great hat!

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/page__st__80#entry804

Last edited:

krl66

New in Town
To add to this, I own the exact same hat. No label on mine other than Royal Stetson either, but using previous owner history, labels, etc mine dates to 1959/1960. Your's is in much nicer condition than mine... the moths apparently liked that felt as much as me.

Thanks for the information guys. To be honest ... I love the had , with name or no name I am very happy with it. :)

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Scored this on the 'bay today.
hat1.JPG
hat2.JPG
hat3.JPG
hat4.JPG

In the fifties north west Italy is full of hatters and many contractors worked for the main hatters or the second choice of a great tardemark could be another possibility.

Certainly an era of consolidation in the hat manufacturing industry worldwide. I think at this time, Vanzina of Pavia had been purchased by Borsalino, destined to become a side brand of more modest quality.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Dobbs Gamebird Long Hair Circa 30s

Short of a little soiling on the liner this Gamebird is in great shape. I'm guessing it is circa 30s. The size tag behind the sweat is torn in half so I don't know the actual size but it fits like a 7 1/4, which is my size.

2 1/4" raw edge brim and the crown is approx. 5 5/8"; reeded 2" leather sweatband with taped back seam.

photo1-88_zps311525ab.jpg

photo3-44_zps2d2b5482.jpg

photo1-27_zps9be1ce27.jpg

photo3-47_zpsc6f5d6fb.jpg

photo1-3_zps54c0f8a0.jpg

photo3-71_zpsf247716f.jpg

photo2-65_zpsfbaaa3af.jpg

photo4-100_zps51c8143e.jpg

photo1-111_zps82e6da1b.jpg

photo4-82_zps29fbe303.jpg

Trevi007

One of the Regulars
Hello friends!
Here is my new find, Knox twenty - custom edge.
What would be the time frame for this lovely hat?
Thanks in advance ! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I thought the TV trays added a nice touch.

A judicious accent to the room and hat. At second glance, mine aren't even as nice as yours. You have a fancy parquet pattern. Mine apparently pre-date that nice feature. :nerd::

Trevi007 you got a nice one there, sir, and I agree with Harv, late sixties. Wear it in good health!

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
For my granddaughters -

I found this in an antique store in N. Georgia last week -

nice lightweight beaver felt long-nap with the grosgain ribbon sewn to the edge, and I think this must have been made to sit on big hair, as it measures out to fit 7 1/2 or 7 5/8, really large for a woman's hat. I cleaned it, steamed it to a smooth shape, brushed it and was planning on sending it to my three granddaughters, but it is so huge, maybe I should try to find some gal that wants it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Fresh off the block. Thin ribbon rabbit fur in alabaster. Sadly, I ruined this one in the ironing process when sap from the new board (I got too impatient to seal it properly) leached into the felt. Oh well, I expect to have a few rejects and it gives me a good excuse to keep them for myself. View attachment 20003 View attachment 20004 View attachment 20005 View attachment 20006 View attachment 20008

Really nice job! I especially like your liners. Any chance you can sand that mark out?

humanshoes

One Too Many
Really nice job! I especially like your liners. Any chance you can sand that mark out?

Thanks Honey Doll. I appreciate your kind words. I've always loved F. J. Bertuch's phoenix illustration so it seemed appropriate for my liners and the legend of the phoenix is somewhat symbolic of my own life. Ah, but I digress. I sanded the brim as much as was possible without making it paper thin, however, the sap permeated almost all the way through the felt. Not too upsetting as it justified actually keeping one of my hats for myself. Plus I have the added bonus of having an instant "beater" hat that I can wear with impunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy