Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
BB what's it measure at? Great find!

Thanks, HJ.
Size 7 3/8 and measures pretty close to that.
Open crown:6 1/4"
Brim:just a shade over 3 1/2"

Hoping you have some input on shaping this hat. It's very soft but but not quite floppy. I've yet to put any steam to it so I don't know how much it may firm up. This is my largest brim hat since my 3x Stetson cowboy hat joined the ghost riders in the sky.

Giant.leap

New in Town
I was in a local Goodwill and immediately spotted a silverbelly bound edge fedora with a trolley cord. It looked unworn. Supple leather band with Towncraft embossed in gold and a perfect satin liner. And it was in my size. The tag read $3.99...I couldn't have grabbed it any faster. It is a perfect fit and replaces my long lost Stetson Open Road. This hat looks to be around 1947-50. It is a thing of beauty.

BB, don't know how old the hat is for sure or what your personal style might be. Knowing both might help you to decide what you want to do with it. I'm thinking you will want a style using a grosgrain ribbon to cover up the stain & pin hole. The first thing that comes to mind then would be the Stetson western dress hats of the 1920's - 1940's like some of Alan's examples or Jared's BSHW clone of the same. I don't own a nutria hat but if the felt is soft or thin this might be your best option. The 3-1/2 X 6-1/4 body would work well for the style. If I were you this would be my first choice for what you have.

If you decide you want a more modern "Old West" look to the hat I can tell you what creases work best with a 3-1/2 X 6 body.

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks, Hato. carouselvic's response to my post got me curious and I checked the hardware that came on the hat and it's all Sterling silver. A bit of a bonus.
Any maker's mark or name on the buckle set? Lots of Rancheros had Bohlin buckles, which are highly collectible. Great hat, always good to see Rancheros stuff get a new life.

Tonak "Iradon", size 58cm, Crown Open 5 inches, Brim 2 1/2 inches, NOS condition, late 1950s. The Velour felt is very nice for this late period and easily dry creases. Also has a overall pleasing form. This one is from my latest Czech find.

26937138363_bfbf6dfdee_b.jpg

27545780515_7a2f72691d_b.jpg

26936284724_f9b881f236_b.jpg

27447016482_80773736c2_b.jpg

27447018562_b83dc6326c_b.jpg

Open Crown

26936299754_216d8e7d1a_b.jpg

26936296764_f56e0a94a4_b.jpg

Natural Light

27548824455_2cb40a0d6c_b.jpg

27514468116_5e45bb0ba2_b.jpg
Don't be fooled, Gentlemen. This hat is better than it looks. The feel and finish are spectacular!

Stetson Nutria Quality
Came in a little dirty and some minor moth nibbles and some staining around the hat band line. A bath got rid of the dirtiness but the stain remains. Nothing that won't be covered by the new band or ribbon, as soon as I figure out what I want to put on it and determine how the hat wants to be shaped.
View attachment 51287 View attachment 51288 View attachment 51289 View attachment 51290 View attachment 51291 View attachment 51292 View attachment 51293 View attachment 51294
That's the band that came on it and you can see the hole where the RV pin was stuck through it. :mad: Don't know if he was an RV enthusiast or a Romeo Void fan.
This is fantastic. Great find, my friend. Great find.

Any maker's mark or name on the buckle set? Lots of Rancheros had Bohlin buckles, which are highly collectible. Great hat, always good to see Rancheros stuff get a new life.

frussell, I was hoping you would chime in here. Nothing of note, other than "Sterling." I haven't cleaned anything and the pieces are so small, I'm not sure they will show up. I'm reluctant to go any further with them.

frussell

One Too Many
You can use a moist towel on the back, that's where the mark would be. May not be a brand name, still great stuff. If you want to put it back on a hat, you'll need to at least clean up the back anyway. If you got a good price, you scored! Rancheros memorabilia prices have gotten crazy. People are selling the leather badges guys wear on the ride, and directories (which seems creepy, if they are recent), at crazy prices. These items are given away free to members and guests. I'd pay big time $$$ for a hat like that in a 7 7/8, but that seems unlikely.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, HJ.
Size 7 3/8 and measures pretty close to that.
Open crown:6 1/4"
Brim:just a shade over 3 1/2"

Hoping you have some input on shaping this hat. It's very soft but but not quite floppy. I've yet to put any steam to it so I don't know how much it may firm up. This is my largest brim hat since my 3x Stetson cowboy hat joined the ghost riders in the sky.

BB, don't know how old the hat is for sure or what your personal style might be. Knowing both might help you to decide what you want to do with it. I'm thinking you will want a style using a grosgrain ribbon to cover up the stain & pin hole. The first thing that comes to mind then would be the Stetson western dress hats of the 1920's - 1940's like some of Alan's examples or Jared's BSHW clone of the same. I don't own a nutria hat but if the felt is soft or thin this might be your best option. The 3-1/2 X 6-1/4 body would work well for the style. If I were you this would be my first choice for what you have.

If you decide you want a more modern "Old West" look to the hat I can tell you what creases work best with a 3-1/2 X 6 body.

That's a Perfect Hat , I believe the exact same as the San An that's been Posted on Movie Hats as resembling the Hat worn by Harry Carey Sr in Shepherd of the Hills . One of my Dream Hats . Killer Score Greg !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy