Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I agree, David, it seems the vintage Grey and Silverbelly Stetsons all have slightly different colors.

I keep telling myself “no more thin ribbons,” and then another amazing thin ribbon falls into my lap. OPS tag intact Stratoliner. The felt is so strange on this one—it was very soft when I got it and seemed to hardly respond to steam. After repeated blasts on each section of the crown I finally got it almost where I wanted it, but could not convince it to hold a diamond shape at the rear. The other Stetson I have like that is a Royal DeLuxe Open Road from around the same era. The color on this is a beautiful silvery blueish gray. Amazing thing about vintage era hats—I’ve got dozens of gray fedoras and no two grays are the same. Even when you think they are, side by side they look dramatically different.

Anyway, pleased with this one.

David View attachment 571776
View attachment 571777 View attachment 571778 View attachment 571779 View attachment 571780

The Shooman

Practically Family
I received this boater from O'connells recently. Ordered my usual size and it fits really nice with the help of a kitchen sponge in the sides. More commentary and pictures of my boater(s) in the boater thread.

Boater hat - my o'connells 1.jpg

Took the inside of the hat because l know @Rmccamey always asks for it. It is really interesting how thin thread attaches the hat band in only minimal places, ie, the hat band is not attached very strongly. Has to be sewn by hand because the hat is too thick to machine sew.
Boater mine 2.jpg

My recent straw purchases.
Back - left to right =
1). Roche Spanish cordobes sombrero
2). Truffaux panama

Middle - left to right
3). Truffaux montecristi
4). Camilo montecristi (an Australian icon, went to his house and had a good talk about hats)

Front - left to right
5). Hills boater
6). O'connells boater
Straw hat collection 1.jpg

Yes l like hats with flat tops and flat fronts, and that includes homburgs with no pinch in them.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Then you might like a Cambridge bowler as well!
I received this boater from O'connells recently. Ordered my usual size and it fits really nice with the help of a kitchen sponge in the sides. More commentary and pictures of my boater(s) in the boater thread.

Took the inside of the hat because l know @Rmccamey always asks for it. It is really interesting how thin thread attaches the hat band in only minimal places, ie, the hat band is not attached very strongly. Has to be sewn by hand because the hat is too thick to machine sew.
Yes l like hats with flat tops and flat fronts, and that includes homburgs with no pinch in them.

20210610_083737.jpg 20210609_180233.jpg

View attachment 572040

Took the inside of the hat because l know @Rmccamey always asks for it. It is really interesting how thin thread attaches the hat band in only minimal places, ie, the hat band is not attached very strongly. Has to be sewn by hand because the hat is too thick to machine sew. View attachment 572041

Back - left to right =
2). Truffaux panama

Middle - left to right
3). Truffaux montecristi
4). Camilo montecristi (an Australian icon, went to his house and had a good talk about hats)

Front - left to right
5). Hills boater
6). O'connells boater
View attachment 572042

Nice. The boater is a Ponte Rialto and the that type of sweatband is called a bon-ton ivy. It’s a type of floating sweatband that adjusts well to most any head shape.

The Shoe

One Too Many

View attachment 572040

Took the inside of the hat because l know @Rmccamey always asks for it. It is really interesting how thin thread attaches the hat band in only minimal places, ie, the hat band is not attached very strongly. Has to be sewn by hand because the hat is too thick to machine sew. View attachment 572041

Back - left to right =
2). Truffaux panama

Middle - left to right
3). Truffaux montecristi

Front - left to right
5). Hills boater
6). O'connells boater
View attachment 572042

Is the Hills Boater from Hill's Hats in New Zealand? How's the quality? I do want a Boater at some stage, but I'm a bit nervous about buying such a stiff hat without trying it on first. It would also be nice to have a hat from my home country.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Is the Hills Boater from Hill's Hats in New Zealand? How's the quality? I do want a Boater at some stage, but I'm a bit nervous about buying such a stiff hat without trying it on first. It would also be nice to have a hat from my home country.

Yes it is from Hills Hats in NZ. It is not a strong hat and needs to be handled carefully. They do fit true to size.

This one is nowhere near as nice as Jonathan’s C & K, but is interesting. It was part of that local auction pile and came in a newer Dobbs box.

Crofut & White derby.

IMG_9847.jpeg

IMG_9848.jpeg

IMG_9849.jpeg

Removing the massive amount of paper padding revealed the labels.

1896 - 1933 union label.

IMG_9850.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

I think this is a used hat price of $1.25 written on the sweat. No other markings that I can see.

IMG_9852.jpeg

Sold in France originally?

IMG_9854.jpeg

1895: (Thanks @DaveProc )

1703267362545.jpeg

In 1860 the old firm of Crofut, Bates & Wildman being dissolved, the business was conducted by Henry Crofut. From that time to the present there have been four different partners besides Mr. Crofut. First Rollo Nichols was admitted, under the firm name of H. Crofut & Co.; then George K. Nichols, and
afterward Joseph H. White, the firm still retaining the old name. In 1878 the firm was Crofut, White & Peabody. The present firm is Crofut & White. — “History of Danbury Connecticut- 1684-1896”

This one is nowhere near as nice as Jonathan’s C & K, but is interesting. It was part of that local auction pile and came in a newer Dobbs box.

Crofut & White derby.

View attachment 572708

View attachment 572709

View attachment 572710

Removing the massive amount of paper padding revealed the labels.

1896 - 1933 union label.

View attachment 572711

View attachment 572712

I think this is a used hat price of $1.25 written on the sweat. No other markings that I can see.

View attachment 572713

Sold in France originally?

View attachment 572714

1895: (Thanks @DaveProc )

View attachment 572725

In 1860 the old firm of Crofut, Bates & Wildman being dissolved, the business was conducted by Henry Crofut. From that time to the present there have been four different partners besides Mr. Crofut. First Rollo Nichols was admitted, under the firm name of H. Crofut & Co.; then George K. Nichols, and
afterward Joseph H. White, the firm still retaining the old name. In 1878 the firm was Crofut, White & Peabody. The present firm is Crofut & White. — “History of Danbury Connecticut- 1684-1896”
Fantastic find despite the condition. I'd like to believe it's the Jekyll and Hyde model; how cool is that?!

My third (I think) Lagomarsino. It has better than average felt that is reasonably thin and very soft. It takes some steam to hold its shape, but it’s not bad at all. The leather sweatband is soft, supple, and well-fitted. The liner is glued in, but that’s to be expected on a new hat at this price point. The ribbon has a decidedly cheap look, but the bow is nicely done. My biggest complaint is the blocking. Too much taper and there isn’t anything crisp or well-defined with it. I’m torn between selling it or sending it off to be completely remade including re-blocking.

As were my other Lagomarsinos, the liner is branded “Nutria.” However, on this hat the sweatband is clearly marked “genuine hare and otter fur felt.” I wonder if they are calling nutria otter? I also wonder if they are calling rabbit hare. The Sweatband is also branded with JJ Hat Center’s name and phone number.

The sizing is in three systems. It’s labeled as a size 63cm and 7 ⅞ US and 8 Punti/French Point. I’d say it fits close to true to size.

Not a bad hat, and I really like the color. Just not sure if it’s worth the expense of a rebuild.

IMG_7835.jpeg
IMG_7837.jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg
IMG_7831.jpeg
IMG_7829.jpeg
IMG_7839.jpeg
IMG_7841.jpeg
IMG_7840.jpeg

My third (I think) Lagomarsino. It has better than average felt that is reasonably thin and very soft. It takes some steam to hold its shape, but it’s not bad at all. The leather sweatband is soft, supple, and well-fitted. The liner is glued in, but that’s to be expected on a new hat at this price point. The ribbon has a decidedly cheap look, but the bow is nicely done. My biggest complaint is the blocking. Too much taper and there isn’t anything crisp or well-defined with it. I’m torn between selling it or sending it off to be completely remade including re-blocking.

As were my other Lagomarsinos, the liner is branded “Nutria.” However, on this hat the sweatband is clearly marked “genuine hare and otter fur felt.” I wonder if they are calling nutria otter? I also wonder if they are calling rabbit hare. The Sweatband is also branded with JJ Hat Center’s name and phone number.

The sizing is in three systems. It’s labeled as a size 63cm and 7 ⅞ US and 8 Punti/French Point. I’d say it fits close to true to size.

Not a bad hat, and I really like the color. Just not sure if it’s worth the expense of a rebuild.

View attachment 573287 View attachment 573288 View attachment 573289 View attachment 573290 View attachment 573291 View attachment 573292 View attachment 573293 View attachment 573294
Interesting find, Brent. Seems like one of thiose hats that doesn't know what it is: hare, rabbit, otter, nutria? Considering what you think needs to be done, I'd say you're better off flipping it.

Last few hats of the year. Let's start off with this interesting one.
Cambiaghi woolfelt in a colour that's all over the place depending on the lighting. Brown, grey or (heaven forbid) green? Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5,8 cm and the crown at 9cm. Crown is creased in between a porkpie and a telescope. More a wider brimmed porkpie. It has a very nice sharkgill bow and the hat as a whole works. At 120 grams not bad for a woolfelt. Has a nicely detailed liner as well.

cambiaghi pork_1.jpg
cambiaghi pork_2.jpg
cambiaghi pork_3.jpg
cambiaghi pork_4.jpg
cambiaghi pork_5.jpg
cambiaghi pork_6.jpg
cambiaghi pork_7.jpg
cambiaghi pork_8.jpg
cambiaghi pork_9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members