Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Penney’s Solar Straw in Genuine Central American Palm. Not sure how late this store sub-brand / logo lasted? 1940s?

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg

Here are two local finds. The woman I bought them from said they belonged to her grandfather who came from Germany. I can’t find much information about Calvert Bench Made but they are decent felt hats. 2” brim and ribbons View attachment 602887 View attachment 602890
Very nice!
Don’t get into the habit of picking it up by the front pinch, though, so it doesn’t fatigue and break at the pinch.
Great hat! Enjoy.

Pellie

One Too Many
This panama is sold to me as a Borsalino, but i am in doubt if this is a Borsalino. It is made in Italy, so it could be. It's a genuine montecristi made in ecuador. The condition was not that good, but after some steam the form came back. Except from a little damage in the top of the crown, the hat looks good again. Unfortunally the size 58 is more like a 57 so it doesn't fit me. Luckily my wife is a 57, so she is happy now :) I bought this hat for 12 euro including shipping costs, so only the leather sweatband is more worth then that ;-)
Screenshot_20240330_115614_Vinted.jpg
20240330_114446.jpg
20240330_114455.jpg
20240330_114502.jpg
20240330_114632.jpg
20240330_114643.jpg
20240330_114648.jpg
20240330_114716.jpg
20240330_114733.jpg
20240330_114822.jpg

Granville

One of the Regulars
nearly 3 inch brim would outsize most folks definition of “Trilby”
It's an English brand, and my obsession with Irish history (particularly the early 20th century) has revealed that in Britain and the "old" UK trilby and fedora meant the same thing with no distinction re: brim size. And "fedora" was seldom used to describe these hats, they preferred to call them all trilbys. Drove me crazy for years looking for a pic of Michael Collins in a trilby and I never found one (Intelligence reports on Collins described him as "favors a trilby").

Granville

One of the Regulars
This panama is sold to me as a Borsalino, but i am in doubt if this is a Borsalino. It is made in Italy, so it could be. It's a genuine montecristi made in ecuador. The condition was not that good, but after some steam the form came back. Except from a little damage in the top of the crown, the hat looks good again. Unfortunally the size 58 is more like a 57 so it doesn't fit me. Luckily my wife is a 57, so she is happy now :) I bought this hat for 12 euro including shipping costs, so only the leather sweatband is more worth then that ;-)
View attachment 603178 View attachment 603179 View attachment 603180 View attachment 603181 View attachment 603182 View attachment 603183 View attachment 603184 View attachment 603185 View attachment 603186 View attachment 603187
I have a "Panama" made in Ecuador with the toquilla straw in a herringbone pattern (Cuenca weave) and the straw is broken in the exact same spot on the pinch.

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
Cool to see a few people on the same brain-wave looking to summer and getting straws. This one is a faux-boater, not so unrelentingly flat, with a bit of a teardrop crease and a brim with a little character. Unique sweat treatment, it "floats" away from the stiffness of the hat, sewn on with a little give by adding a row of netting between straw and leather. I have a feeling this one will take flight in a breeze -- even though it's a perfect fit, it can't be snugged or jammed on.
excelsior main.jpg
excelsior head tilt.jpg
excelsior sweat detail.jpg
excelsior sweat.jpeg
excelsior tip logo.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It's an English brand, and my obsession with Irish history (particularly the early 20th century) has revealed that in Britain and the "old" UK trilby and fedora meant the same thing with no distinction re: brim size. And "fedora" was seldom used to describe these hats, they preferred to call them all trilbys. Drove me crazy for years looking for a pic of Michael Collins in a trilby and I never found one (Intelligence reports on Collins described him as "favors a trilby").
It was the seller who described it as a trilby not Failsworth. So not necessarily a UK mis-description.

However, back in the day, hat terminology wasn't exactly the same as ours today. British army intelligence certainly didn't know the difference between a trilby and a fedora, nor did they seem to know that Michael Collins favoured the Homburg look.

Other than hats, we have a similar interest in Irish history, Granville.

Agreed. Trilby as a term gets thrown around a lot in a negative context these days in reference to that style of almost tyrolean proportion often made with cheap materials and quality that have been sold in the last couple decades in discount stores… which then folks who prefer wider brim hats tend to use cast aspersions onto all shorter brim fedoras…. Even those made of great quality. I think you are correct though in its British terminology is synonymous with fedora.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Ca. late 1930s Borsalino Galmoela Bowler. Part of the package of hats I acquired from Stefan back in January.

20240402_185748.jpg

Here's Stefan's original post:

Post in thread 'The Bowler or Derby Hat' https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-bowler-or-derby-hat.32818/post-3064184

I can add that the sweatband was made in France. Very rare to see a makers stamp on the sweat.

20240402_204930.jpg

The decorative air vents and logo are an added plus. I've deciphered the wording on the banner to be something like "Aerifere Tube Aire". Quite the 1930s advertising nonsense, but I think the meaning is plain enough:

20240402_213153.jpg

A thin felted Bowler that is very comfortable to wear. It's knocks and dents just add to its history.

Ca. late 1930s Borsalino Galmoela Bowler. Part of the package of hats I acquired from Stefan back in January.

View attachment 604009

Here's Stefan's original post:

Post in thread 'The Bowler or Derby Hat' https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-bowler-or-derby-hat.32818/post-3064184

I can add that the sweatband was made in France. Very rare to see a makers stamp on the sweat.

View attachment 604010

The decorative air vents and logo are an added plus. I've deciphered the wording on the banner to be something like "Aerifere Tube Aire". Quite the 1930s advertising nonsense, but I think the meaning is plain enough:

View attachment 604011

A thin felted Bowler that is very comfortable to wear. It's knocks and dents just add to its history.
Wonderful sweat detail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner