Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
That is a great job of hat CPR, Gene! I would never have thought your first photo could become that. Super job!

Thanks a lot, Mr. P. It's much more of a testament to the resiliency of Panama straws than it is of any prowess on my part.

I'm lovin' your ever growing collection of ORs. The black one, then this 'gold' looking one. Just fantastic variations on a classic - and you really know how to wear 'em!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I bought this ($2 thrift shop) as a costume piece, essentially. I've had caricature gigs from time to time where I'm asked to really dress the part, like a French 'artiste'. Now, I'm prepared for 'em.

By the way, I have now found a hat that makes Nicki laugh even harder than when I wear my Optimo style Panamas. It's a wonder she was able to keep the camera steady enough for this shot. lol

DSC_0005.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I bought this ($2 thrift shop) as a costume piece, essentially. I've had caricature gigs from time to time where I'm asked to really dress the part, like a French 'artiste'. Now, I'm prepared for 'em.

By the way, I have now found a hat that makes Nicki laugh even harder than when I wear my Optimo style Panamas. It's a wonder she was able to keep the camera steady enough for this shot. lol

DSC_0005.jpg
Oddly I have a WWII black beret on its way to me from France via UK expected any day. However, I don't think I can match your laid back style.

RBH

Bartender
Mr. Paladin said:
My new E-Bay Stetson Open Road arrived yesterday. After a good brushing and steaming to reshape the brim and side dents, it is ready to go. It was made for Kallison's, a San Antonio shop. I have not yet checked Google for info on the shop but the hat is nice. It is the stiff western style but since I am partial to the cattleman's creased OR anyway, it will stay as is. The only flaw is three distinct moth bites under the brim. One is in the front near the leading edge and I can see it in my peripheral vision. The only time I have not asked about moth bites....:( :

E-bayOR002.jpg

E-bayOR003.jpg

E-bayOR004.jpg

E-bayOR005.jpg

E-bayOR006.jpg

The color is good in the photos (at least on my monitor); a very nice golden tan with slightly darker ribbon and binding.

Kiltie, do you know of Kallison's?
Great looking Open Road Mr P!!!!:eusa_clap

Take a pin and pick at the moth bite... raise the felt up to the level of the felt around the bites. On your hat it looks likes you can all but get rid of them.
If the bite is deep its harder to 'work' them out.
Let us know if you try one and what luck you have with it!!!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the props and the advice, guys. RBH, I think I will try it on the smallest of the ones in back and see if I can keep from making a total wreck of it. If so, I'll work my way up to tackle the one in front. If you think I can make them disappear or at lest be diminished, I'm game to try; after all, as is said so often--"Its only a hat."

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Tainted love...

I have at last, found the hat I have been looking for since the beginning- A Dunn & Co French gray snap brim of classic pre-war proportions. What a joy to find, in its box, original owner (Scovell Esq.) and his address inscribed on the lid. However…

great_dunn_box.jpg

great_dunn_packaging.jpg

great_dunn.jpg

great_dunn_inside.jpg

Despite being a 6 7/8, I was optimistic that I would be able to coax it up to a 7 1/8- after all, I have done this twice before with different hats. And so, at the local military surplus store I went, where they have an excellent 20th century aluminium hat stretcher. I steamed her through well and racked her up to 7 1/8 with the greatest ease. Returning several days later to inspect my lid and rejoice in response to an apparently successful re-sizing only to find several hours later, shrunk back to 6 7/8 my hat had. One for the collection, not for wearing, and so the search must continue…

GWD

One Too Many
The Elizans said:
I have at last, found the hat I have been looking for since the beginning- A Dunn & Co French gray snap brim of classic pre-war proportions. What a joy to find, in its box, original owner (Scovell Esq.) and his address inscribed on the lid. However…

great_dunn_inside.jpg

Despite being a 6 7/8, I was optimistic that I would be able to coax it up to a 7 1/8- after all, I have done this twice before with different hats. And so, at the local military surplus store I went, where they have an excellent 20th century aluminium hat stretcher. I steamed her through well and racked her up to 7 1/8 with the greatest ease. Returning several days later to inspect my lid and rejoice in response to an apparently successful re-sizing only to find several hours later, shrunk back to 6 7/8 my hat had. One for the collection, not for wearing, and so the search must continue…

Just a thought, what would happen if you removed the ribbon from inside the sweatband and tried to stretch it again?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Just a thought, what would happen if you removed the ribbon from inside the sweatband and tried to stretch it again?

Or untie and retie it.

When that laced arrangement was actually functional it was intended for allowing slight resizing - usually to tighten - so it follows that one would loosen that bow, then stretch the hat, then tie the bow back again after the new circumference was achieved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy