Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Boater1.jpg

R_Boater.jpg

R_BoaterTrain.jpg

You pull that hat, and entire look, off perfectly.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Wow, guys, big-time thanks for the compliments! Since I've never worn a boater before, I wasn't sure if it really worked on me. I guess I should've known it was ok when I was on the steam train and a woman came up to me and told me in French (Quebec, y'know) that I looked "tres elegant".

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Federation IV in Moonstone

Another one of my Fed IVs showed up today - Moonstone. One more to arrive (Carbon) and I'll have all the shades in Standard.

As with my other shots, the background and lighting has been kept consistent for comparison purposes.

3564136095_694a988e8b_b.jpg

3564954260_7b33fc690c_b.jpg

You can really see in this shot what a chameleon the Moonstone is, many shades of grey...

3564138339_aa90d1dbb1_b.jpg

And for context the obligatory "I'm incredibly pale" shot...

3564135069_00102bc96f.jpg

Cross posted with the "Akubra Overload" thread.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
WB, that's the best job of wearing one of those I've ever seen anyone do. The whole ensemble is super, and I can recognize that glint in the eye as the result of being very pleased with one's hat purchase. And well you should be.

I really have to second what Gene wrote. The boater always stand out too much it seems even when they do look good on a person. But on WB the boater seems to work so well. It is noticeably nice looking but not over the top, if that makes any sense. Just a wonderful look at any rate.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
don't have a pic yet...

and YES I know I shoulda had a pic to post- so shoot me... SOON, promise! But in time for participating as a member of BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Mens' Historical Representation Society) at the Memorial Day Ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco, Daniel and I found him a new white crackerjack navy cap to go with his vintage WWII USN shirt, gotten at a local surplus store.

Dang! I forgot the camera this morning with us all needing to leave early to get up to the city. All the uniformed BAWMHRS looked fabulous in their authentic complete uniforms; from Spanish American War, WWI and WWII. They did an awesome job at the ceremonies.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lumelux said:
Picked up this Adam 7 1/4 a while back.
So what's going on with that "mystic edge"?
Did they put padding under the brim binding to
create a sort of Cavanagh Edge-bound brim effect?
Does it simply have a double binding?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That is very cool, Lumelux. Great lid! Any chance you might be able to post a close-up of the binding?

I love the fact that new things like this continue to be part of our ongoing discovery process here at the Lounge. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers,
JtL

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mystic edge

BTW, that liner is so lush, just looking at it makes
me want to put on the hat. As if it would be like
wearing a satin pillow on one's head.

Lumelux

New in Town
Here are 2 CUs of the edge binding. The first is the underside with a single row of stitches. The second is the topside and has a double row of stitches. I know very little about hat construction but it looks and feels as though there is a raised edge that is covered by the grosgrain binding. I also noticed an old union label inside. Any idea of the date for this hat?

As for the lining, it is a Salmon Red/Pink colour. The hat looks unworn. I have a few more hats I'll post once I take some photos.

Cheers

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
FL member's son makes local news! Daniel in his crackerjack hat

I didn't get a picture taken yesterday, but the SF Chronicle newspaper did! Here is our almost 13yo son Daniel as he participated with his fellow BAWMHRS (Bay Area Womens' and Mens' Historical Representation Society) on Memorial Day during the ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco.

He's wearing his vintage WWII US Navy shirt with the ruptured duck patch and Petty Officer third class Gunner's Mate insignia, vintage black pants, with a new surplus store white navy cap and white gloves.

I and my husband are so proud of him! This was Daniel's and my husband's first in-uniform BAWMHRS "event". All the uniformed BAWMHRS (gents and ladies) stood in front of the podium for almost two hours yesterday during the entire ceremony.

365396797.jpg

Here is the link to the article in the SF Chronicle, there is a video link to the local news story. Two other BAWMHRS (one in Spanish American War uniform, the other in WWI uniform) are seen in the clip. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/05/26/BALP17QR5U.DTL&o=3

chanteuseCarey said:
and YES I know I shoulda had a pic to post- so shoot me... SOON, promise! But in time for participating as a member of BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Mens' Historical Representation Society) at the Memorial Day Ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco, Daniel and I found him a new white crackerjack navy cap to go with his vintage WWII USN shirt, gotten at a local surplus store.

Dang! I forgot the camera this morning with us all needing to leave early to get up to the city. All the uniformed BAWMHRS looked fabulous in their authentic complete uniforms; from Spanish American War, WWI and WWII. They did an awesome job at the ceremonies.

chanteuseCarey said:
I didn't get a picture taken yesterday, but the SF Chronicle newspaper did! Here is our almost 13yo son Daniel as he participated with his fellow BAWMHRS (Bay Area Womens' and Mens' Historical Representation Society) on Memorial Day during the ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco.

He's wearing his vintage WWII US Navy shirt with the ruptured duck patch and Petty Officer third class Gunner's Mate insignia, vintage black pants, with a new surplus store white navy cap and white gloves.

I and my husband are so proud of him! This was Daniel's and my husband's first in-uniform BAWMHRS "event". All the uniformed BAWMHRS (gents and ladies) stood in front of the podium for almost two hours yesterday during the entire ceremony.

365396797.jpg

Great!!!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lumelux said:
Here are 2 CUs of the edge binding. The first is the underside with a single row of stitches. The second is the topside and has a double row of stitches. I know very little about hat construction but it looks and feels as though there is a raised edge that is covered by the grosgrain binding. I also noticed an old union label inside. Any idea of the date for this hat?

I would guess that's just an overwelt underneath the binding. I don't think Adam wouldn't bother with the extra expense of a Cavanagh Edge just to cover it up. Cavanagh would, but Adam is not that type of company.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Golden Gate Hat Co. Straw

Picked this one up at an antique store over the weekend, in a Palco box. Very nice hat, but has a cardboard liner.

GGStraw1.jpg

GGStrawTop.jpg

GGstrawDtl.jpg

Lumelux

New in Town
billyspew said:
Wow that is one of the nicest hats I've ever seen. Let me know if you find you don't want it!
Never seen that lining in an Adam before either.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bill

I may just do that. I haven't worn it as it is just a bit too loose for me. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo