Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
GClark said:
Actually, I do I tend to like the tighter pinch on myself -

Like this?

VS_strat.jpg

Great lid! Nice ham job!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

my 2nd vintage, first "steal"

found this Cavanagh in a 2nd had store in east avon, it's the first one I've ever found that fits without stretching / lots o padding, etc. it was marked $10, but they knocked off the obligatory 20%. even at first touch, there is something about vintage felt. if anybody has a quick age on it, I'd be interested, there's no tags at all on the hat. almost wonder if it's had a new sweat installed, it's near mint.

out of the bag:
IMG_3406-1.JPG
IMG_3408-1.JPG

after a little brushing, steaming, and creasing. I tried to pay homage to Rochache's hat in the watchmen (and yes, I know, wrong color, wrong band)
IMG_3421-1.JPG
IMG_3420-1.JPG
IMG_3419-1.JPG

the biggest problem is the brim, I can't seem to get it to lay out right, it was rippled as heck right out of the bag, it's better, but you can tell on the front shot that it's still "off" I'm also wondering if it would look better with a thinner ribbon, but I also like the idea of keeping it original

oh yeah, the head shot
IMG_3424-1.JPG

billysmom

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
after a little brushing, steaming, and creasing. I tried to pay homage to Rochache's hat in the watchmen (and yes, I know, wrong color, wrong band)
IMG_3421-1.JPG
IMG_3420-1.JPG
IMG_3419-1.JPG

the biggest problem is the brim, I can't seem to get it to lay out right, it was rippled as heck right out of the bag, it's better, but you can tell on the front shot that it's still "off" I'm also wondering if it would look better with a thinner ribbon, but I also like the idea of keeping it original

oh yeah, the head shot
IMG_3424-1.JPG

Terrific find! There is a certain magic about vintage felt. I'd keep the ribbon as it is. It looks great on you. I would guess that given time the brim and you will come to terms.

Sue

Abyss

Familiar Face
Wow, it's been quite a while since I've posted here. I'm sorry! I'll try to stick around more and not just lurk!

Anyways, I've moved recently, and I finally decided to visit the local thrift store. It wasn't very big... I moved from a rather large metropolitan area into a town of about 30,000, so that's to be expected, but I still managed to find something.

Sitting almost alone on a shelf and covered in lint was a brown fedora. Not a costume one of a cheap fabric one, it was a fur felt hat. I picked it up and turned it over. A Dobbs, in almost-my-size (I believe myself to be between a 7 and a 7 1/8 depending on the day, and this hat's a 7), but what was most striking was the price tag: $5. Even had it not been anywhere close to my size, I would have nabbed it.

It's not quite my style, but it was a good hat for $5! On to the pictures!

The first picture is of it all linted up... and that is actually after I had brushed some of the lint off. It seemed to consist of more lint than felt when I found it! The second picture is much better, but there's still some lint on it. I haven't had my hat brush sent to me yet, so full de-linting will have to wait. The third picture is of the inside, and the color in that picture is probably the one which is the most true-to-color.

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to reshape it so it has a more stereotypical shape, I like my two dents on the front thank ya very much, and it seems to be a rather stubborn hat!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
James Lock & Co Bowler

Vintage James Lock & Co Bowler, sz. 7 1/4 UK, very stiff and solid. The most solid, I came across, so far.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Abyss said:
Wow, it's been quite a while since I've posted here. I'm sorry! I'll try to stick around more and not just lurk!

Anyways, I've moved recently, and I finally decided to visit the local thrift store. It wasn't very big... I moved from a rather large metropolitan area into a town of about 30,000, so that's to be expected, but I still managed to find something.

Sitting almost alone on a shelf and covered in lint was a brown fedora. Not a costume one of a cheap fabric one, it was a fur felt hat. I picked it up and turned it over. A Dobbs, in almost-my-size (I believe myself to be between a 7 and a 7 1/8 depending on the day, and this hat's a 7), but what was most striking was the price tag: $5. Even had it not been anywhere close to my size, I would have nabbed it.

It's not quite my style, but it was a good hat for $5! On to the pictures!

The first picture is of it all linted up... and that is actually after I had brushed some of the lint off. It seemed to consist of more lint than felt when I found it! The second picture is much better, but there's still some lint on it. I haven't had my hat brush sent to me yet, so full de-linting will have to wait. The third picture is of the inside, and the color in that picture is probably the one which is the most true-to-color.

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to reshape it so it has a more stereotypical shape, I like my two dents on the front thank ya very much, and it seems to be a rather stubborn hat!
I would just clean it up and try wearing it out a few times as a porkpie first. Who knows, you might just like it. Great ribbon and color at the very least.

jwalls

Vendor
Roninjedi said:
You... you made that? :eek: And even if you didn't make it and just had it refurbished...

That.

Is.

AWESOME!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Yes sir, I made it with a lot of help from my hatter Dave at D bar J. Thanks a Lot.:D :D :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
The Barton is back!

I sent my Barton hat to Mike Moore for a new sweat, stretch and cleaning. It just arrived today. I think he did a great job (at a very reasonable price, I might add), but stretching it left the ribbon just almost too short. The brim is stingier than most of my hats, so can I get some honest opinions on how it looks on me?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Spats McGee said:
I sent my Barton hat to Mike Moore for a new sweat, stretch and cleaning. It just arrived today. I think he did a great job (at a very reasonable price, I might add), but stretching it left the ribbon just almost too short. The brim is stingier than most of my hats, so can I get some honest opinions on how it looks on me?

The hat doesn't strike me as 'too' stingy, it looks good on you.:)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Casual Royal Stetson Deluxe

New to me but not to the FL. The stiffest vintage Stetson I've encountered(not including Derby).
4008546971_7a5a4baf04_o.jpg
4009299706_841ae6fd79_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters