Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting Excerpts from Books

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I wasn't sure where to post this, so it goes in the OB...

What is forum etiquette regarding the posting of lengthy passages from a book? And what is permissible under copyright? The book I have in mind is about 70 years old.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feng_Li said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, so it goes in the OB...

What is forum etiquette regarding the posting of lengthy passages from a book? And what is permissible under copyright? The book I have in mind is about 70 years old.
Small cited quotes are allowed as part of academic work and certainly permissible here.

We do not get into copyright issues. Not being attorneys, when in doubt, we remove them.

If you are going to use a quote of a paragraph or so, be sure to give proper credit to author, publisher and work in the proper form.

A lengthy passage from a book probably isn't right for for the Lounge though. I would be happy to look at it first.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I'll run a selection by you before I post it, then. This may be some time, as I still haven't finished the book myself.

TM

A-List Customer
I’m not a copyright lawyer (or any kind of lawyer for that matter), but there is a “fair use” provision in the copyright law. This allows for excerpts from a copyrighted work to be duplicated. Reviewers can use pieces of such a work, as can satirists. Academics can excerpt works to some degree too. However, it’s not always clear what the limits are.

A great resource for answering these questions can be found here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_How-To

I would agree, though, with Hemingway Jones that really long excerpts not be posted. Realisticly, few people will actually read the whole thing.

Tony

Edward

Bartender
Both English and American (as well as pretty much any other) copyright laws allow certain acts of copying where these fall within a determined list of "permitted acts" - copyright is, unlike say patent, not a monopoly right. The relevant permitted act is (in the English legal language) "fair use for the purposes of criticism and review." A couple of paragraphs, properly cited, is absolutely fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou