Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

My 1930s Stetson Derby is coming along nicely. It is finally sized to my noggin and the horrible greasy sweat stains are under control. It is looking much better than this photo. My oldest hat.
Stetson Derby side 1Oct16.jpg
Derby reorder tag under sweat.jpg

Stetson Excellent Quality - late 1930s-1941.

Soft blue heather felt with 1 1/4" self ribbon and bow. 5 1/2" crown, 2 3/4" brim with single stitched over-welt. Perforated sweatband and fixed position wind trolley button were finishing features that date to this time. 2" soft sweatband. Dusty - has been worn but in very good condition. Sold at $8.50 retail. Brad Bowers posted in 2008 of a Stetson price increase in February 1941 that brought the retail of several styles to end in .50. This would correspond to the seller's recollection that his father purchased the hat in 1940 or 1941.

excellent1.jpg

excellent2.jpg

excellent3.jpg

excellent4.jpg

excellent5.jpg

excellent6.jpg

excellent7.jpg

excellent8.jpg

excellent9.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Soft blue heather felt with 1 1/4" self ribbon and bow. 5 1/2" crown, 2 3/4" brim with single stitched over-welt. Perforated sweatband and fixed position wind trolley button were finishing features that date to this time. 2" soft sweatband. Dusty - has been worn but in very good condition. Sold at $8.50 retail. Brad Bowers posted in 2008 of a Stetson price increase in February 1941 that brought the retail of several styles to end in .50. This would correspond to the seller's recollection that his father purchased the hat in 1940 or 1941.

excellent1.jpg

excellent2.jpg

excellent3.jpg

excellent4.jpg

excellent5.jpg

excellent6.jpg

excellent7.jpg

excellent8.jpg

excellent9.jpg
Simply stunning

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

excellent1.jpg

excellent2.jpg

excellent3.jpg

excellent4.jpg

excellent5.jpg

excellent6.jpg

excellent7.jpg

excellent8.jpg

excellent9.jpg

Fantastic catch, Alan. Its quite a beauty.

I was watching that hat and was going to bid, but decided not to. I guess its true what they say, "You don't regret the things you bought, its the things you didn't buy."

Thanks guys. I've been feeding like a bird lately... just pecking a little bit now and again. ;^)

I'll do some restorative work on this when I return from NYC. I think it will liven it up quite a bit.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up

excellent1.jpg

excellent2.jpg

excellent3.jpg

excellent4.jpg

excellent5.jpg

excellent6.jpg

excellent7.jpg

excellent8.jpg

excellent9.jpg
That's a heck of a beautiful hat.

The felt ribbon and bow strikes me as very interesting.
Does anyone know if that treatment gained any traction with Stetson consumers or were they pretty few and far between?

That's a heck of a beautiful hat.

The felt ribbon and bow strikes me as very interesting.
Does anyone know if that treatment gained any traction with Stetson consumers or were they pretty few and far between?

A fashion footnote, I think. I have a few. Most common examples are seen on the Dobbs Gay Prince and the variants on this style offered by other brands in the post WWII years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo