Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
3nutria.jpg

Each of these Stetson nutria western hats is branded differently. All have a very soft finish. From left to right:

Real Nutria Fur. The two black hats are older than the tan... of the three this is the softest.

Stetson Real Nutria Quality Boss Edge Kettle Finish. The felt is firmer on this hat than on the others... it is most likely 1930s. The detailing on this hat is extraordinary.

1X Nutria with The Fray sweatband. Soft and supple, but less so than the fur finish. The more modest dimensions on this hat wears a little easier and seem to work well with a fedora bash.

A wonderful trio. This is a superb colection old Western hats, Alan.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

It DOESN'T get any better than this!!! I can try to express my emotions for this hat with numerous large words, but the one that describes it best is........WOW!!! The auction pictures really did this hat no justice. Its beautiful in every way. That Nutria stamp is very rare, as I've only seen a few examples of it. How would you compare the feel of the long haired felt to other pre-1930 long haired hats that you own? This one is just an INCREDIBLE find and whats more important is that you can really pull off this look. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I think this picture is more significant than many people on the lounge realize. I've never seen a sweatband stamp that told of the "type" of leather and "pattern style" used. I have many early Stetsons that have sweatbands that look just like this one and it was often my theory that the material was pigskin. I do not doubt for a secopnd that Stetson used many other types of leather besides sheepskin, but at least it gives us definitive evidence what type of leather this is. I find the "orangepeel" designation very interesting. We have seen some interesting patterns on pre-1940's Stetson sweatbands and now we have a name for this pattern. I would imagine that large leather rollers made these type of prints. I sure wish one of those sweatband rollers would make an appearence on ebay. I would by it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your careful review of the photos and your comments, Josh. I was also excited to see this stamp on the sweat. This one is different from any of the sweats in my early Stetson westerns, including the No.1 Quality hats. The latter are more rugged. This has the character of the soft late 30s/ early 40s Stetson unreeded sweats, though it is a little thicker and is reeded. I would venture to say those early 40s buttery sweatbands are made from sheepskin too.

I've bid on quite a few early longhair hats and have come up empty every time except for this one. The velours I own are all more recent. This is a very different animal... thick and soft with a nap that changes depending on the direction it is brushed. In the hand, it feels like a fur hat. Would be fun to get together on a future trip to Chicago and compare. Maybe if we do it at Bennisons, Robert will join us? :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your careful review of the photos and your comments, Josh. I was also excited to see this stamp on the sweat. This one is different from any of the sweats in my early Stetson westerns, including the No.1 Quality hats. The latter are more rugged. This has the character of the soft late 30s/ early 40s Stetson unreeded sweats, though it is a little thicker and is reeded. I would venture to say those early 40s buttery sweatbands are made from sheepskin too.

I've bid on quite a few early longhair hats and have come up empty every time except for this one. The velours I own are all more recent. This is a very different animal... thick and soft with a nap that changes depending on the direction it is brushed. In the hand, it feels like a fur hat. Would be fun to get together on a future trip to Chicago and compare. Maybe if we do it at Bennisons, Robert will join us? :)

Now we just have to figure out what type of sealant they used on those sweatbands to keep them from becoming stiff and plastic like. I used to work with leather when I was a kid, but I am unsure what type of sealant they could have used. I would imagine it was a natural vegetable/plant based sealant. I firmly believe that these vintage thin, pliable, buttery sweatbands are far superior to even todays best sweatbands. I do not doubt that the quality of leather was a factor, but I believe more than anything, the sealant was the most important factor.

Are you coming to Chicago soon? It would be a blast to meet up again! We can compare all of these vintage Stetsons. :) Hopefully Robert can come. Let me know the time and place and I will be there! Also, I'm not sure if Optimo will have their new downtown store open at that time, but that would be neat to see as well.

A truly magnificent hat, in every way! Fantastic and interesting details. Love the unique sweatband bow with single stitch attachment. Rather poetic that the hat made the journey from Cheyenne to Buffalo over a period of nearly a century!

... and with a long layover in Woodstock, Vermont. Thank you AL, I am enjoying it!

1930s Stetson 5X Clear Beaver Quality western

Shares many of the markings and construction details of Carouselvic's last posting, and a similar estimate of late 1930s to 1940. More pictures here.

5x6.jpg

5x7.jpg

5x1.jpg

5x2.jpg

5x5.jpg

5x3.jpg

5x18.jpg

5x12.jpg

5x20.jpg

5x26.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads