Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

TipTop

Practically Family
Thank you for the comments.

Bill, the horsehair braid came with the hat, though I don't know how far back the two have traveled together. 2 braids go all the way around, making four where they cross. A third braid is used in the center, stopping where the two sets of strands cross (if that makes sense). Here are a few close-ups.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

That braided band really caught my eye initially; there is something about it that is so "authentic" that it really sets the already-distinctive hat on a whole new plane. I'd love to know what kind of affairs this was worn to. And at $20 in the 20s, I'll bet they were pretty spectacular too.

You must let us know the reaction you get when you wear it; not something you see in every aisle at Wegmans....Enjoy it.

This is my first experience with a braided band like this. They are still made and sold by a few western gear shops... I made a few calls to confirm the correct side to wear the tassel. I was tempted to buy a new one to compare, but didn't. New they run 30 - 90 dollars, depending on width and intricacy.

From the western catalogs posted by RLK and Carouselvic, $20 would fall in the upper ranges of the 1920s catalogs. Prices and inflation were high in the 1920s. Using the inflation calculators on the web, $20 had about $260 of purchasing power in 1925 (using 2012 dollars) - ten years later, it would have bought $80 more.

TipTop

Practically Family
Fantastic hat!

Here's J.B.Stetson Jr. in 1933
Screen%20shot%202012-03-04%20at%201.45.54%20PM.png

Voted off the island: "The NYSE decided that his (J. B. Stetson, Jr.) firm Stetson & Blackman, was financially too insecure to continue in business."

Ya spose it was really all about his hat?:confused:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Same furry finished felt body as this earlier posted example, finished with unbound pencil curl brim and black ribbon. Judging from the condition, this must have been a very durable felt, or a hat reserved for special occasions. 4" brim, 7" crown.

1.jpg

Another UNBELIEVABLE find!! I love these old Stetson westerns with the long hair finishes and the 7 inch crowns. This one is just fantastic and with the addition of the horsehair braid, it just puts it over the top. Truly a SPECTACULAR HAT!!! Whats really amazing is that you have two very similar hats to make comparisons with. I love the comparisons of the sweatbands and stampings between the two hats. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

frussell

One Too Many
Nice catch Alan. Hand-hitched horsehair is expensive nowadays, and is often duplicated with manmade materials. That one looks very DIY, which I like, maybe even by the owner of the hat. You used to see watch "chains," bridles, men's belts, just about everything western made with horsehair, and some of the finer examples from prison workshops still fetch top dollar at western auctions. I tried it just long enough to know it was way too difficult, even with some experience at braiding rawhide. Some old-school horsemen still break their colts for riding using a horsehair "mecate," (wound or braided) loop rains with a rawhide "bosal," or nose-band. I've used them, and while they are beautiful, they take a while to get used to on your hands. Scratchy as hell. That's just an all-around killer hat. Frank

Josh, Steve... thank you.

Frank, thanks for adding this information. I received a catalog from one of the modern purveyors of hitched horsehair accessories. All are marked handmade, but there is no indication that the bands are made in the U.S.A. I'm guessing not.

buler

I'll Lock Up
No.1 from Cali

Was excited to get this one. Seller thought it was close to measuring in at a 7 1/4. Ends up fitting great! Still needs some cleaning up at front of sweat and ribbon tie areas. Pretty lightweight for a 6" crown and 3" brim. Has the 3 cord ribbon with 3/16" brim binding. First Stetson No.1 I've found that fits. Love the red liner with the gold piping. From Whitehills in Salinas/Visalia Ca.

B

stetson_no1_1.jpg

stetson_no1_2.jpg

stetson_no1_3.jpg

stetson_no1_4.jpg

stetson_no1_5.jpg

stetson_no1_7.jpg

stetson_no1_8.jpg

Looks great and you got it at a good price. I had that one marked but it came up when I was outside of cell phone coverage. Glad you won it.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regardless of yearly model name they all appear to be a "boss of the plains" with a bound edge.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I would call it a Stetson Surprise, Austral was a raw edge, at least it was in 1929.

Well one thing that I'm fairly certain of...that hat dates much earlier than 1929. I actually think the Surprise/Austral that Garrett has dates to the very early 1900's. The vvvvvvvvvvv stitching along with old style size sticker and Fray sweatband make it a pretty old piece. Maybe Stetson changed the Austral to a raw edge later in production so they could create another model with a bound brim. Its marketing at its best......make the same exact hat, change one thing and call it something else. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic