Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

rlk

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I recall seeing a lot of photos of men in bowler and homburg type hats in the 1860s in my text book last year when we studied the American West.

If I went to say, Texas in the 1930s and decided to wear a Stetson Whippet I'm sure I wouldn't get the strange looks I might get these days. That was my point about fedoras being normal enough in the West in the past. Perhaps someone even has pictures of fedoras being worn alongside Westerns?

The "Western" title can be a bit misleading. The distinction between an in-town worker-Banker, storekeeper, etc. and an outdoor worker such as a farmer or "Cowboy" would lead to different hats historically, even in a frontier area. Nowadays the modern version of the cowboy hat is more common in many parts of the country regardless of its original function and you wouldn't see anyone in the town wearing a Fedora.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
rlk said:
The "Western" title can be a bit misleading. (1) The distinction between an in-town worker-Banker, storekeeper, etc. and an outdoor worker such as a farmer or "Cowboy" would lead to different hats historically, even in a frontier area. (2) Nowadays the modern version of the cowboy hat is more common in many parts of the country regardless of its original function and you wouldn't see anyone in the town wearing a Fedora.

Ahuh. Right. "Thesis, synthesis, antithesis"...
(1) Not only Karl Marx would agree to that. Form. Function. You know...

(2) And on the level where (and when) money ceases to be a completely primordial cutoff line (i.e. when everybody has a refrigerator, a TV, a car, etc..), the western myth (...the "cowboy-industrial complex"...) took over from the mere "function" and your generic cowboy hat positions itself on that mechanical bull. Strictly for fans, of course.

On the opposite social spectrum, the Fedora went out with JFK, low rooflines in automobiles, a (temporary) decrease in the need for public transport, better heating.

The Fedora might be enjoying a (temporary?) comeback within a "style envelope".

Wait a minute, weren't we discussing pre-1940 Stetson Westerns? :eusa_doh:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
1941 and 1943
1941ms3.jpg

1943ms7.jpg

1943ms8.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
So, guys - where are pics of the 1" frayed-ribbon westerns? I see pics of actual hats, but they don't seem to be in the catalogs or ads.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting, Dinerman. Did the selection of hats really narrow that much?
It's the same catalog, a few years later and they only offer a fraction of
the hats they had in 36-37. Wartime, I suppose- not sure how much of
a factor that would have been.

Love some of the names (Dobbs "San All"). Also interesting to see
how they reuse some of the model/hat pictures, with some creative
airbrushing. "San Fran" and "San Fran Jr." appear to be among styles
which transcend brand.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
¿No Belgian "beaver" (read: rabbit, hare...) in 1941, 1943? Also noticeable is the narrowing of the brim, as compared to lots of models back in 1936 (of course that could be due to the fact that the latter catalogs might not be completely reproduced here.
In Europe, skirts became shorter as a side-effect of material being more difficult to obtain...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
So, guys - where are pics of the 1" frayed-ribbon westerns? I see pics of actual hats, but they don't seem to be in the catalogs or ads.

Edited - my sense of humor might be lost on some.

My guess is that in the '20s, '30s, these hats weren't considered 'western' - rather, probably will be found in early catalogs for Stetson dress hats.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
As for looking ridiculous in Europe, I mean that a fedora worn with a suit will attract far less attention than a Western with a cattleman crease. Possibly because the fedora was once worn here, but the Western never was. Not that I say it shouldn't be worn, however I would personally draw the line for what I'm comfortable with. I can live with a certain amount of stupid comments and insults, but there comes a point when it would get too much.

I'm sure I'm one of only a handful of western wearers over this side of the pond, to hell with the stupid comments. OK I'm not a fully fledged cowboy but I ain't playing at it either, I work with cattle and I now own a horse which I proudly ride out "western" style. Each to their own:D
normal_western_hat2.jpg

DbarJ Custom western, possibly my favourite. I changed out the hatband though for a simple leather with concho type.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ScottF said:
My guess is that in the '20s, '30s, these hats weren't considered 'western' - rather, probably will be found in early catalogs for Stetson dress hats.

Difficult to say. But remember, the fraying is rather subtle and can be easily lost in the illustrations.

I would like to see a pre '40s Stetson thread.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Difficult to say. But remember, the fraying is rather subtle and can be easily lost in the illustrations.

I would like to see a pre '40s Stetson thread.

Thanks. I was just trying to stir the pot.

But I'll start one up later today if no one else has by then. Edited - just noticed you started one - excellent!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
PabloElFlamenco said:
Upon starting to read this thread, the thought came up that I should perhaps insert my big Nutria western Stetson. Not that I have any guarantee that it is "pre-1940": it might only come close; definitely most of the other hats I see in this thread are older (the "square with diagonal Stetson" logo on the sweatband attesting to that).
Great was my surprise at Dinerman having done the work for me. Tkuvm Diner, that's fine.
Whilst this hat is no my most "wearable" hat - it is galumptuous, especially in our oh so civilized European setting, where the mere word "cowboy" elicits Pavlovian associations with Texan politicians, yet it is -no doubt about it- one of my favorite hats: no other hat I in my collection is so malleable, meaning (I borrow this from another Lounge Member) meaning the shape, the bash of the crown is like something as if of soft clay, putty... Immensely bashable... I love that hat.

023.jpg

Pablo, I just got mine in the mail - same exact sweatband stamp, but no liner. Measurements are 6.5" crown, 4" brim and 22 7/8" around the sweatband (my size exactly :) :)).

It is without a doubt my new favorite hat - with a telescope crease it looks REALLY nice, and definitely one that can be worn in public. Also, the Nutria felt on this one puts the other nutria I had to shame. As you say, it's soft as putty. On this one, the brim felt is almost equally as malleable and actually snaps. Off to take 'before' pics, then I'll start the restoration process.

!BeE1oDw!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-EIErfj4eclCBK7)H!LN3Q~~_12.JPG

jwalls

Vendor
Nigel said:
I'm sure I'm one of only a handful of western wearers over this side of the pond, to hell with the stupid comments. OK I'm not a fully fledged cowboy but I ain't playing at it either, I work with cattle and I now own a horse which I proudly ride out "western" style. Each to their own:D
normal_western_hat2.jpg

DbarJ Custom western, possibly my favourite. I changed out the hatband though for a simple leather with concho type.
Nigel; David at D bar J is my hatter and a friend of long standing. He sends his best wishes, and thanks for the kind words.:) :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Pablo, I just got mine in the mail - same exact sweatband stamp, but no liner. Measurements are 6.5" crown, 4" brim and 22 7/8" around the sweatband (my size exactly :) :)).

It is without a doubt my new favorite hat - with a telescope crease it looks REALLY nice, and definitely one that can be worn in public. Also, the Nutria felt on this one puts the other nutria I had to shame. As you say, it's soft as putty. On this one, the brim felt is almost equally as malleable and actually snaps. Off to take 'before' pics, then I'll start the restoration process.

!BeE1oDw!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-EIErfj4eclCBK7)H!LN3Q~~_12.JPG

Another pic before cleaning, testing the new bash - the crease lines in the front are now gone:

BossNutriaBefMe.jpg

Here are the pics after cleaning:

BossNutriaAfterUnbMed.jpg

BossNutriaAfterBashedMed.jpg

BossNutriaAftFrontMed.jpg

Before and After Sweatband pic:

SweatDtlStetsonx2.jpg

BossNutriaSweatMed.jpg

The only tag remaining:

BossNutriaD4900Tagjpg.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Shudde's Southern Hat Co.

The above hat has the Shudde stamping from before they became Shudde Bros. I found that Al Shudde formed the company in 1907, and in 1914 'the brothers' built a new factory. Anyone have any idea as to when they changed from 'Shudde' to 'Shudde Bros'?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner