Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

portolan

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a closeup of the Stetsons in this

photo? I have read many times that Villa was a fan of Stetsons and ordered them for all his personal bodyguards - Dorados- in about 1914. I would love to see a closeup of this hat!

PanchoVillaandhisDorados.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rtravler said:
Thank you, gentlemen, this is a really cool thread.

A little off-topic, but if you ever want an interesting Villa-related read, try John Reed's account of the time he spent riding with Villa (same guy who wrote "Ten Days that Shook the World"). Quite an adventure-writer, and it's all based on fact (thought the facts are a bit loose when necessary to promote the story).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
In pursuit of Pancho Villa

4301242950_69a201c2a5_o.jpg

Here's a group that went after Pancho Villa(from Chicago) Col. McCormick is with the Machine-gun he donated. My grandfather and his brother were in this Cavalry Machine-gun unit.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Could be a Stetson, going from the blurry photos of the reorder tags. Equally likely that it's not. Sold for $50+ S&H

_1265063243566.jpg

_1265063254586.jpg

_1265063263712.jpg

_1265063272675.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson No. 1 Western

Here's a black Stetson No. 1 with a violet-blue liner. It's a size 7 with a paper tag, reeded and sewn-at-back sweatband. I estimate it as mid-30s.

Condition is pristine outside of sweatband sweat that I've slowly Lexol'd out.

Really weird thing - though tagged '7', it was 7 1/8 size. I COULD not get rid of this one, so I've stretched it easily up to 7 1/4. That should give some of you stretch-averse people some hope, especially given the age of this hat. The liner was removed during the photographs, but it's back in now. Photos (other than with me wearing) or prior to stretching - the brim was flat, but due to stretching it, has curled up just slightly on the sides, giving it a more modern western look. I'm extremely happy with the results.

StetsonNo1SideUnB.jpg

StetNo1bMex2.jpg

StetsonNo1Liner.jpg
StetsonNo1SweatDtls.jpg

StetsonNo1SweatDtl3.jpg

StetsonNo1Logos.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Ex-Garrett, ex-Douglas Stetson, now mine.

_1267394341603.jpg

That's a great example of that model. It was a shame to see it go so low, when the same model, only one size bigger, went for much more recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy