Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1950s British/European sportswear and leisurewear

I know there was an awful lot of dual use of workwear as sportswear in the 1930s and 40s, as a perusal of the Pathe archive would suggest. I'm interested in the stuff that was dedicated sportswear. Whether it be for cycling, hunting, golf, whatever, there was an awful lot of stuff available that was specifically designed and marketed for sporting use.

I'll start this off with an excellent example that I recently found. I tell you without shame: this is my Holy Grail. For years I've sought this jacket, and I've never seen another one. I'd really love a Bukta one, but Macintosh will have to do! Charles Macintosh (for whom the Mackintosh overcoat is eponymous) designed the original rainproof fabric in the early 1800s, making it out of natural India rubber using a patented process. It retains its rainproof qualities after all this time. The rain just beads off. The folded metal zipper slider and stopper box date this jacket to the 1930s. It is fully reversible with patch pockets and buttons to tighten the cuffs on both sides.

If you've got some European sportswear, let's see it! Ben, I'd love to see that Lillywhites ski suit with the poles.

chasmacintoshgolfjacket1.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket2.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket3.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket4.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket5.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket6.jpg

chasmacintoshgolfjacket7.jpg

Last edited:
And here are some period advertisements/marketing materials for jackets such as these:

Bukta, 1939. Not much difference between the men's and women's jackets.

bux-gab1.jpg

bux-gab2.jpg

Houndsditch Warehouse Co. 1938. Stated use of Lightning brand zippers.

houndsditchwarehouse1938cover.jpg

houndsditchwarehouse1938rainproof.jpg

Manufacture Francaise d'Armes et Cycles. 1936

francaisedarmesetcycles1936cover.jpg

francaisedarmesetcycles1936ensemblespourcycliste.jpg

Last edited:
I do like the Bukta health angle for their Buxsylk line. It was an obvious tack to take considering most waterproofs were rubber or rubberised, and so relatively unbreathable. Another page of the Bukta booklets I posted suggests that the Buxsylk is a cotton product, but it's a little vague. All it says it that it's NOT Sea Island cotton.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
There's a book, or at least scholarly article, to be written about the lost fabrics of the British garment industry (Invisible on Everest is a great starting point for this). And there'd definitely be a chapter on breathable, water-resistant cottons (non-waxed and untreated, that is). A jungle of trademarks and patents pending for twills, tight-weave and otherwise breathable foul-weather fabrics awaits the diligent researcher.

Any other big names to be looked into, in addition to Bukta, Burberry, Grenfell and Ventile®?

I was looking into this subject a couple of years ago and found a decent-quality raincoat by Hackett, produced in an Italian tight-weave cotton described in pretty much the same terms as Ventile®, but not using the trademark name. There was also a (very badly cut) jacket around at the same time - can't remember the maker/brand - made from Italian cellular cotton that looked okay. Not surprising that I came to a dead end trying to find out the fabric manufacturers.

It would be interesting (probably only to me) to trace the breathable, water-resistant cotton family tree and see whether it's possible to rediscover the 'lost fabrics' of sporting/leisure antiquity.

Nigel Cabourn and a few others in the industry probably know loads about this, and they'd probably love to talk loads about it, if prompted nicely.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
It should do! Can't read Finnish though unfortunately.

Here's some stuff I found on Etsy, knitting pattern covers:
il_570xN127182328_zpsdcb8408c.jpg

I think the brown jacket on the left is absolutely perfect.
il_570xN262736041_zps8f9c7617.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Metatron, these knitwear are fantastic.

Here another specimen of European sportswear:

A German belted sports jacket made of thick blue wool tricot.
With it's size 42 it ought to be rather large for me, but with a sweater underneath and the belt tightened it has served well this winter. I really learned to appreciate the practicability of buttoned pockets ;)

30erSportjacke.jpg

Best Regards

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
It should do! Can't read Finnish though unfortunately.

Here's some stuff I found on Etsy, knitting pattern covers:
il_570xN127182328_zpsdcb8408c.jpg

I think the brown jacket on the left is absolutely perfect.
il_570xN262736041_zps8f9c7617.jpg

Back in the 50's and 60's, my dear old Mum (now in her late 80's) used to run the knitting pattern department at Sirdar Wool. They used to knit and mathematically test every new pattern. She had many hundreds of them, many just like the ones above.

Did she keep them, or did she throw them all out? Don't ask.......:eeek:;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is a rather curious jacket. I can't tell if it is leather or a rubberised jacket. It is from the film 'The Foreman Went to France' (1942):

Foremanwenttofrance1.jpg

Foremanwenttofrance2.jpg

Another German suit with jodhpurs. Oh, how I wish I had the argent to buy this one! Looks like a nice military-esque fabric (though it's not military, see below).

$(KGrHqFHJEIFDz9i8mq8BQ9Zvm(GtQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16NHJHEE9ny2qToRBQ9Zve)clQ~~60_57.JPG

From a distance it seems military, but those buttons slap it firmly into the "sporty" category!

$T2eC16NHJGoE9nuQeRyuBQ9Z)D,4M!~~60_57.JPG

Love the waistband on this one with hook/eye closure, long tunnel belt loops, and the waistband facing fabric.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFDVgqZypDBQ9Zvf6V-!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's Bonar Colleano in the 1950 film 'Pool of London':
PoolofLondon5.jpg

The elasticated waistband is similar to the one on BK's jacket that started this thread.
PoolofLondon4.jpg

PoolofLondon3.jpg

PoolofLondon1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here is Robert Beatty in a very similar jacket from the film 'San Demetrio, London' (1944), except that this one has zipped pockets:

sandemetrio5_zpsf46069fd.jpg

sandemetrio8_zpsdebae809.jpg

sandemetrio9_zpsdc70258d.jpg

sandemetrio3_zpse8e6fffe.jpg

sandemetrio2_zpsc0d01f31.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
In one shot it looks zipped. In the others, the zipper is lower, but the jacket front is held together. A reversable zip perhaps, or has wardrobe just stitched it up for the shot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy