Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre '50 Non American Jazz Recommendations?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Neat stuff!

By the end of the thirties, Gluskin was back in the US, where he spent the next twenty years or so working in radio as a conductor of generic studio orchestras. But he didn't turn his back on jazz entirely -- he was the leader of the CBS house swing band on the famous "Saturday Night Swing Club" series of 1936-37.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
2 other very FL-relevant things about Lud - he had flown a fighter plane with the Army during WW1, and his family ran the Manhattan Shirt company!

963187622_1b0e81ecfa.jpg

1944 ad

nightandthecity

Practically Family
so that was was Charles Kiehn! he was in Vola's 1934 Claridge band along with Django and Stephane Grapelli....the band where legend says Django and Stephane "accidentally" started jamming backstage leading to the formation of the Quintette (though they actually first met and jammed together in 1931, so the 1934 incident wasn't quite the moment of revelation that legend has it). I think Kiehn may also have been on several of Django's early non-Quintette recordings.

Anyway, it's a great tenor solo!

You've got me wondering about the rest of the band now.....I'm guessing that the trumpet man is probably Alex Renard or Arthur Briggs?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Briggs was Black, so no, that's not him. The sax/clarinet man in the middle is Gene "Boss" Prendergast, who was Lud's right-hand man and assistant director. He has by far the most hot solo work on the Jazz Oracle set. Bass sax player Spencer Clark is also heavily (sic) featured on the 1929 selections, which are really the best of the lot.

Sunset Music

New in Town
Sunset Music Company

I came across the name Lueder Ohlwein of which I have some unique recorded material from a tour in 1979. I have noticed that his daughter who logs in as Thora Zine is interested in records of her dad.
I live in the Netherlands and recorded a concert of the Sunset Music Company back in 1979. So if Thora Zine likes to respond, we will find a way to get some of it over to her.

Sunset Music

New in Town
Thora Zine said:
Not sure if you guys would be interested in this, I talk a bit incessantly about my dad's music, (I miss him and that 'world' alot) - I've uploaded the only recordings that I have of him and his touring band, The Sunset Music Company. Recorded in '78 at the Breda Jazz Festival (they were regulars there several years in a row). The recordings are mediocre sound qulaity, but not too shabby ..

Lueder Ohlwein (my dad) - Leader, Vocals, Banjo, Kazoo
Jim Goodwin - Trumpet (Some Portland Loungers may recognize him from his regular gigs at the Portland Brew Pub)
Norvin Armstrong - Piano
Bill Carter - Clarinet (SF's Magnolia Jazz Band)
Dan Barrette - Trombone (Played with Rosemary Clooney's band after his stint with Sunset Music Co.)
Jeff Hamilton - Drums
John Smith - Alto Sax
Mike Fay - Upright Bass

Like I tried to communicate yesterday, I taped a concert by the Sunset Music Company back im 1979 during the Storyville Jazznight, Arnhem, the Netherlands. The line up was with Lueder Ohlwein ("Thora Zine" 's dad), Jim Goodwin, an unknown (to me) altosax player, Dan Barrett, Mike Fay and Jim Hamilton. Thora Zine will be interested as she will be aware of this material that I have put on CD's for personal use, it is wonderful music, exciting and sincere!
I joined The Fedora Lounge with the purpose to let her know. I am not authorised to send her a personal message, maybe someone can help me out by mailing her. She can get in touch with me through the website of my own band:

www.storyvillejassband.info

Sunset Music

New in Town
Thora Zine said:
Not sure if you guys would be interested in this, I talk a bit incessantly about my dad's music, (I miss him and that 'world' alot) - I've uploaded the only recordings that I have of him and his touring band, The Sunset Music Company. Recorded in '78 at the Breda Jazz Festival (they were regulars there several years in a row). The recordings are mediocre sound qulaity, but not too shabby ..

I have sent you an email with, in brief following contents:

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I play cornet in the Storyville Jassband of Arnhem, The Netherlands. There also is a Storyville Jazzclub, to which our band is the houseband. The Jazzclub has organized many Jazznights where we have invited bands from various countries. In june1979 we invited the Sunset Music Company, a band that we knew from the Breda Jazz Festival. I got an LP and a MC-recording from friends. Immediately I was struck by the sound of the band. When they played on our festival I insisted on being there as a floor manager so I could control the PA and make recordings with a tape recorder of a friend of mine. I remember this concert as one of the finest concerts I have heard over the years. In fact the band did not want a PA, they just clung together and played their music with a very relaxed concentration, and a lot of creativity. Your father was a strong leader in letting everyone roll along and play what they wanted to play. In those days I only had a cassette recorder and I copied the concert on MC's. I have played them many times since. Recently I got the time and the software to copy the tapes to my PC and I put part of it on a CD. Thereby I left out most of your fathers' words, to me the music (and his singing) were the most important. But I still have all of the concert. There were some pieces I do not know the titles of, therefore they were not my first choice in preparing a CD. But I can send you the rest of the concert as well. Or the MC's after I have fully copied them. The quality is quite good, taking into account the circumstances. I would like to send you the CD I made, so if you are interested please tell me where to send it to.
Ruud Nieuwenhuijzen

Maybe my email did not get to you. It's a long way from Europe!
If you are still interested, please contact me again.
Merry Christmas!
Ruud

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Love Brazilian...

...Joabim, The Gilbertos (Astrud and Joao), Walter Wanderly (fantastic Brazilian organist) and I really admire an international guitar duo, Strunz (Costa Rica) and Farah (Iran). They once collaborated with renaissance man Ruben Blades (Panamanian singer, composer, Jazz musician, actor, lawyer and politician. In 1994 he actually got 18% of the Presidential vote).

And, of course, the legendary Tito Puente. Benny More, Celia Cruz, Arturo Sandoval (plays trumpet notes that only a dog can hear). Don't get me going.

Of course, there's Django and Stephane. A guy who I played with in High School was named International Artist of the Year in Japan a few years ago(Bobby Caldwell), but I guess that doesn't count.

Does Edith Piaf count?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot