Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precious...

Smuterella

One Too Many
Just how precious/snobby are you about your or others vintage look?

Admit it, do you look down on those who wear a lot of repro, are novelty prints just a novelty?

:D

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I don't bat a lash at the situations you mentioned. To me, an individual's style is just that, and kudos to them if they make it work! :) The only time I go aloof is when people wear vintage or vintage-inspired/repro for "trendiness".

Smuterella

One Too Many
i know exactly what you mean, I was just wondering if there were hierarchies of vintageness like there seem to be hierarchies of trendiness. My girlfriend has just moved to a very trendy part of London ad people there seem to look each other up and down in a disapproving and snide fashion as a matter of course

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I don't judge anyone! I have spent my whole life being smirked at by 'trendies' or chavs, I love anyone who's a bit different, whether they are being authentic or not. I agree with the comment about people doing it to be trendy though.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
While I *try* not to judge. I am a bit guilty of it. I like mixed eras, but my pet peeve is era specific dress NOT matching the hair. In otherwords... if it is vintage and not rockabilly, 40's rolls with 50's dresses drive me batty! I did this one day, wore 40's hair with a 50's dress and I kept complaining about how ridiculous I looked! Hahahaa -- but other than that, I don't really give a hoot. Style is style.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I judge everyone :p

No one is as cool as me! I am- Oh wait, Im saying this outloud and not as a part of my self help regimine :eek:

Seriously, I dont pic cause everyone has their own style, but if someone is going for an era, and they want a crit, or wanna know how to make their look more peroid, I do led a gab.

So says the gal who will never be totally era acurate, but thats okay.

Ld

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
i know exactly what you mean, I was just wondering if there were hierarchies of vintageness like there seem to be hierarchies of trendiness. My girlfriend has just moved to a very trendy part of London ad people there seem to look each other up and down in a disapproving and snide fashion as a matter of course

Out here in flyover country, you're lucky to see anyone outside of a downtown area dressed nicely. I'd be thrilled to see everyone in clothes that fit and covered their midsections.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I only criticise when they botch it up in movies -- there's people on the set being *paid* to get it right, and there's no excuse when they don't. As far as the real world goes, nah. There's worse things in life to worry about than how somebody else wears her hair.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I think that people that dress differently are a precious commodity in an ever increasingly homogenised society.

Even if I don't particularly like somebody's style I would still support their cause, so I don't think the details are important. Goodness knows most of us girls are self critical enough, let's just be happy for each other and skip the small stuff:)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
No, I'm really not a snob about it. I don't have enough money or enough vintage to be a snob! I also have to wear modern clothes out of necessity and though I always have my own twist on it, there are days where I look like every other girl (except for maybe my lipstick).

The only thing that I am kind of snobby about is when people do vintage or vintage-esque hairstyles that are really unflattering to them and they think they are hot stuff! That bugs me, it's like...look in a mirror, girl! These are usually the girls who think they are some ultra sexy pin-up just because they like Bettie Page and own a pencil skirt or two.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Seeing another vintage or vintage inspired person around here is like seeing a drop of water in the desert! I am just excited they are there!

Then I go make friends.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
The only thing that I am kind of snobby about is when people do vintage or vintage-esque hairstyles that are really unflattering to them and they think they are hot stuff! That bugs me, it's like...look in a mirror, girl! These are usually the girls who think they are some ultra sexy pin-up just because they like Bettie Page and own a pencil skirt or two.

Thank you for saying this... I was starting to feel like the only one who doesn't embrace everyone else's attempts. Reading how everyone else doesn't judge -- period was making me realize that I am a craptascular person! lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
NoirDame said:
Seeing another vintage or vintage inspired person around here is like seeing a drop of water in the desert! I am just excited they are there!

Then I go make friends.

See I would be this way...if I didn't live in Los Angeles!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon toe

LolitaHaze said:
Thank you for saying this... I was starting to feel like the only one who doesn't embrace everyone else's attempts. Reading how everyone else doesn't judge -- period was making me realize that I am a craptascular person! lol

I will amend to both of these statements the phenomena that is occurring recently (or I should say since the release of Christina Aguilara's "Candyman" video...) the onslaught of girls trying to look vintage/pin-up/retro by cutting their bangs and trying to look like Bettie Page as well as a trend by the fashion industry towards the classic 40's & 50's styling.

Although I find the surge of classic 40's styled repro fashions out there a welcome change from some of the other 'fads.'

I think I am rambling, I will stop now.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
I only criticise when they botch it up in movies -- there's people on the set being *paid* to get it right, and there's no excuse when they don't. As far as the real world goes, nah. There's worse things in life to worry about than how somebody else wears her hair.
I hear you, sister! :)offtopic: Forgive me, I just love to try to talk american slang!) When it comes to period movie and theater, I love to spot the wrongs. I got all worked up at a play a couple of years back, because the heels of the shoes were all wrong. (They even asked me for help, and then ignored it. Argh!) But, there is a differnence between illusion and reality, and the thing that gives the most "real" look in movies is not necessarily the things people realy wore. But that's another discussion. (I will gladly elaborate if anyone's interested.)

When it comes to real life, nothing bugs me. OK, sometimes I think a certain outfit looks stupid, (hey, we have all got our one taste!) but I never judge an outfit or style based on if it's historically correct. I don't dress in periods either, I just get inspired and put on what I think looks good.

Everyone who has their own style is cool in my book. Even styles I personally don't like.

When I'm at historical events, (LARPs) I can be more judging. If someones costume is all wrong, it can bother me. But if it seems like they made an effort, it's forgiveable. I just get annoyed when people takes short-cuts because they don't care. (And again, it's the discussion abut "real" realness against the illusion of reality.)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I have to say that I honestly don't care if someone is wearing something vintage, repro vintage, or vintage inspired. I don't care if they mix their eras either. If I like something someone is wearing I have no problem dropping a compliment their way.

But with that said, if a fake wannabe gal trying to be in and cool for the moment was to get catty and start drama with me personally regarding my style...well then stand back because I'll be taking off my nice-nice gloves.lol

ShortClara

One Too Many
In real life, I just get excited when I see someone dressed up making an effort! I mix eras all the time (bad Shorty!) and I lurve novelty prints - the sillier the better.

In films and TV, GRRRR it makes me mad to see lazy styling! I was just thinking this, watching Journeyman. It's about time travel, and the lady in it is supposed to be jumping from the forties. yet when she jumps, she has blah modern clothes and stick straight long hair every time!! OY it irritates me no end. I yell at the TV and hubby gets annoyed :)

Snookie

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Just how precious/snobby are you about your or others vintage look?

Admit it, do you look down on those who wear a lot of repro, are novelty prints just a novelty?

:D

I'm EXTREMELY critical of my own look. More critical than I am of anyone else. But my thing is, I want to appear period-accurate, not really be it. I like (good) repro more than real vintage because it's not stained, stinky, or fragile. I like (good) polyester, because it's wash-and-wear. I like repro shoes, because they're new and have a size range. And I LOVE Hot Sticks, because I don't have to sleep in curlers!

I'm honestly not terribly critical of anyone who makes an attempt at a period look. There are WAY too many blackmail pictures of me attempting my first period looks for me to be critical. Actually, some of those were taken yesterday! lol lol

What really bugs me is when people attend an event and don't even make the effort at dressing. Specifically, WHAT'S WITH SWING DANCERS WHO DON'T LIKE OLD FASHIONS???? WHY DID YOU GET INTO THE HOBBY IF YOU DON'T LIKE HISTORY???? I'm not the fashion police, I don't ever want people to stay at home because they "don't have anything to wear", but how is it possible that I'm often the only girl in the room who even attempts the look anymore? I don't want to be the "most vintage", I want lots of people to be in on it. [huh]

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
What really bugs me is when people attend an event and don't even make the effort at dressing. Specifically, WHAT'S WITH SWING DANCERS WHO DON'T LIKE OLD FASHIONS???? WHY DID YOU GET INTO THE HOBBY IF YOU DON'T LIKE HISTORY???? I'm not the fashion police, I don't ever want people to stay at home because they "don't have anything to wear", but how is it possible that I'm often the only girl in the room who even attempts the look anymore? I don't want to be the "most vintage", I want lots of people to be in on it. [huh]

AMEN!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran