Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precious...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am critical, moreso of myself than anyone else, but I have to say it really bothers me when someone is very vocal about their "authenticity" and they don't actually a) have it true to period or b) base their "authenticity" solely on film and high end fashion magazines. I wish the so-called self-proclaimed "experts" would take into account differing situations of economy, different countries, and life span of garments for the average consumer.

But if you're doing it for fun, I could care less.

And repros are more "vintage" than you'd think. The people who lived back then would be making the same dresses from the same patterns, so it's really not that far off. It's so silly, the whole "real" vintage vs "repro" vintage. Granted, there are verying qualities and grades of repros, but if you're really that much into it, I'm assuming you'll do your own research to find out why one is better than the other (and I mean actually studying in real life... like REAL garments to look at and touch and REAL periodicals, like turning the page and reading and comparing years).

TessTrueheart

People who attempt a period look are very rare around here so I'm only happy when I see them. People who dress modern though... I can complain for hours about what they're wearing!

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
As someone who does 'vintage inspired' more because they like the look than because they are into the history/recreation, I have no problem if people are not authentic - if a look works, it works.

BUT

I am overly critical (silently) of just about everything other people wear. Not judgemental per se, but I do look closely at what other people wear and think of how it could be improved, or admire how they put a look together.

I love seeing anyone who 'looks a bit different'. When I was at college I was a punk, I dyed my hair pink, and was fiercely critical of chavs & trendies.

I now dress more 'conservative', and try my best to be a lady, I have quite old fashioned values, but amd still very critical of chavs & trendies.

I hate it when a girl in her Topshop 'vintage' clothes looks down her nose at me. People don't realise that they look as odd to me as I do to them lol

As for being snobby about people wearing vintage, it's all about the effort people make, for me. I'll be honest, I don't see the point of only making a small effort & wearing a beautiful blouse with a pair of scummy jeans. Go the whole hog and throw on a nice skirt, do your hair & MAKE SOME EFFORT!!!

I mix and match my eras, mainly because there are so many styles I adore (mainly 30's & 40's) but I'll admit, I don't have any proper vintage shoes, and my hair is most definately not of that era, so I can't really judge can I [huh]

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't like to wear vintage clothes and I don't wear repro because I've bought some dresses before and they were TERRIBLE quality for what they cost. I wear "vintage inspired" mostly from H&M and my hair won't hold a curl or roll to save it's life! My look really is a mish-mash of eras and I also have (SHOCK! HORROR!) visable tattoos!

On the rare ocassion that I do see someone who looks different like me, I get all excited. No one really judges me here in Philadelphia, but when I lived in South Jersey I constantly got stares and giggles. I soooo don't want to be like that.

Amy Jeanne said:
My look really is a mish-mash of eras and I also have (SHOCK! HORROR!) visable tattoos!

Me too!! Did glamourous ladies in the 30's? Course they did!!

I think you have to wear what you feel comfortable in, but it is human nature to judge others, everybody does it.

I do get excited when I see someone wearing similar clothes to me though :D

My way of getting around the crappy repro & trendy knock offs is my collection of dress patterns & knitting bits & bobs :eusa_clap

& my hat patterns. mmm hats.

D

Deleted member 3716

:eek:fftopic:

i have a question:

i always wondered why rockabilly/bettie page type girls dress in a 50's style but usually wear their hair in rolls?
i'm not critiscising it,i've probably done it myself in the past, i'm just curious as to why this is such a popular style...
especially with the bettie girls. i dont think i've ever seen a picture of bettie with rolls...

but back to the matter in hand, the only time i get precious about things is when a particular style gets really "trendy" and the high street churns out reproductions in horrible cheap fabrics and colours. and im not talking about topshop/h&m or whatever, but those "boutiques" that sell everything in pastel coloured lycra :rolleyes:

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
I'm EXTREMELY critical of my own look. More critical than I am of anyone else. But my thing is, I want to appear period-accurate, not really be it. I like (good) repro more than real vintage because it's not stained, stinky, or fragile. I like (good) polyester, because it's wash-and-wear. I like repro shoes, because they're new and have a size range
I'm the same way. I've always been drawn to the retro look (I remember being in 7th grade and pegging my jeans with saddle shoes to look like a bobby-soxer), and I have a lot of retro and vintage-inspired pieces of clothing. While I've started gathering some vintage pieces (and I love to go shopping for them), it's hard to find a good, wearable piece of real vintage that don't cost a fortune. And thank goodness for repro shoes, because a size 7 just doesn't seem to exist in vintage! And I LOVE novelty fabric. Too much fun!

I don't judge anyone for their attempt at vintage style (other than the standard "that style is really not flattering", or "that's not a good color on that person"). Not because I'm super nice person, but because I spent 15 years doing renaissance reenactment as my primary hobby. After a few years of listening to costume "experts" verbally tear apart everyone's clothing because what they were wearing for FUN wasn't accurate enough to the time period, I decided I never wanted to sound like that. And I was at the receiving end of that kind of criticism early on.
Unless you're entering a contest for authenticity, who cares?

Now movies and TV are a whole other situation--I'm vicious about it! :D

The Shirt

Practically Family
Just how precious/snobby are you about your or others vintage look?
Admit it, do you look down on those who wear a lot of repro, are novelty prints just a novelty?

Here's my issue with it. I don't wear a whole lot of novelty prints but it is because I feel old in them. Think they are darling on the rockabilly girls in their 20s. But me - I look like the mom who stole her kids wardrobe (and I have no kids). There is just a fine line of appropriate-ness when it comes to novelty prints for me. I also think things depend on the event or where one is wearing them. Around the house - I don't give a flying !%$ if I want to wear cherries or polka dots (I still will). Do I think I look silly in skulls - absolutely - are there still some in my closet - yup. I am at an age where my taste is molting. Or at least that's how I like to describe it.

I honestly think reproduction wear is a necessity. The investment of a truly vintage wardrobe in my mind would be astronomical. However part of my attraction to vintage is that I KNOW I will be the only one wearing a particular dress somewhere because the likelihood that someone else has the exact same frock is next to nil. With repro - especially at a vintage freindly event - I worry that I will have the exact same thing on as someone else. And inevitably they will wear it better.:p Repro seems to fill in for my day to day and true vintage ensembles tend to be for events. Or at least until I build up my wardrobe.

As for making fun of people - I'd rather take down the girls wearing leggings/tights as pants. :eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Shirt said:
I honestly think reproduction wear is a necessity. The investment of a truly vintage wardrobe in my mind would be astronomical. However part of my attraction to vintage is that I KNOW I will be the only one wearing a particular dress somewhere because the likelihood that someone else has the exact same frock is next to nil. With repro - especially at a vintage freindly event - I worry that I will have the exact same thing on as someone else. And inevitably they will wear it better.:p Repro seems to fill in for my day to day and true vintage ensembles tend to be for events. Or at least until I build up my wardrobe.

Another advantage in repro is that you're not risking the life of a garment every time you put it on -- especially if the size is not quite right. I've had incidents of side seams in vintage dresses popping wide open at exactly the wrong moment, just because I thought I could get away with squeezing into it just this once. As sturdy as a vintage garment might seem, sixty years can and does take a toll on the integrity of the fabric and the thread, and the more you wear it, the more the stress. Eventually time and stress will win out, and you'll be scrambling for safety pins to keep your scanties out of view.

Homemade repro, on the other hand, is a lot more forgiving -- and also tends to fit better!

Lauren

MegamiOrchard said:
I am overly critical (silently) of just about everything other people wear. Not judgemental per se, but I do look closely at what other people wear and think of how it could be improved, or admire how they put a look together.

I am totally guilty of this!

LizzieMaine said:
I've had incidents of side seams in vintage dresses popping wide open at exactly the wrong moment, just because I thought I could get away with squeezing into it just this once. As sturdy as a vintage garment might seem, sixty years can and does take a toll on the integrity of the fabric and the thread, and the more you wear it, the more the stress. Eventually time and stress will win out, and you'll be scrambling for safety pins to keep your scanties out of view.

Thi happens with my shop bought things. My bottom loves to be on show lol At least making my own clothes I can make them in the perculiar shape that I am!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
While I'm not judgmental about most things related to vintage fashion, and appreciate when someone makes an effort instead of wearing jeans, there are a few things that do really really irk me and where I do find myself guilty of mentally criticizing people:

1. Not wearing a slip. I don't care how awesome your vintage outfit is - if I can see the pattern on your underwear, your panty line, or if your skirt is riding up because of static with your nylons, I am going to look down my nose at you.

2. Mixing patterns. Unless the patterns were obviously meant to go together as part of an outfit, I am going to roll my eyes. This isn't a good idea no matter what style you wear. This includes wearing fishnet stockings with a patterned skirt. Some exceptions are OK, but it takes extremely good judgment to know when it works for you.

3. Wearing shoes that are too big, obviously painful, too tall, or otherwise make it look like you don't know how to walk in heels or would rather be wearing Crocs. Complaining out loud about said shoes gives you an extra low grade in my book.

OK, so those are more general fashion criticisms than ones particularly related to vintage. There are a couple more, though:

4. Seeing someone wearing a really expensive repro and walking around like they think they're hot sh*t, when they probably could have purchased a better made, unique vintage item that doesn't look as cheap for the same price. This especially applies to Stop Staring. I'm really guilty of this. I of all people know that there is a valuable place for repros, especially if you wear a size that's hard to find in vintage, the issue here is the attitude you have when you slip into that dress.

5. Not wearing proper foundations. I notice, and it bugs the hell out of me, but probably only because I take such pride in my look, all the way down to my skin. It looks sloppy. Some people can get away with it (hell, Marilyn could) and more power to you if you can, but most gals can't. Especially if you are wearing that stretchy, form-fitting Stop Staring dress (and are walking around like you're all that) and you have belly pooch, I'm going to mentally note that you should be wearing some form of shapewear, and then I will probably look down my nose at you for the rest of the night, or not look at you at all. On a certain level I find it offensive because I know that you could look so much better in that dress!

Yeah, I'll admit. I'm kindof a snob about some things. Oh well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Snookie said:
What really bugs me is when people attend an event and don't even make the effort at dressing. Specifically, WHAT'S WITH SWING DANCERS WHO DON'T LIKE OLD FASHIONS???? WHY DID YOU GET INTO THE HOBBY IF YOU DON'T LIKE HISTORY????

Because it was fun.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
:eek:fftopic:
Lauren - I am in love with your new avatar. It almost made me weepy - so gorgeous.
Have to agree...

Back to the topic: I have no problem with people wearing repro. I only have two issues with the subject:

1 - Shops selling "1950's style" dresses/skirts with net sticking out of the hem to look like a petticoat... I will do anything possible (on my Grandmother's advice) to prevent slips/petticoats from showing :eek:

2 - Reenactors who don't know their era. I'm going to sound like a snob, so please forgive me. Repro is fine by me if it looks the part. For instance, I was at a WWII event when I noticed a woman walking past dressed a little out-of-era. She was dressed entirely in 1980's gear (suit, stillettos, feathered hat and handbag)!!! :rage:

I must sound terrible! Anyway, that's my only vintage-related issue... please forgive me?!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I think it's really important to remember that not everyone has the means, the time or maybe even the looks to pull off the whole historically accurate ensemble.

To be perfectly honest I get very downhearted at the amount of time women spend tearing strips off each other for the silly little things, and in my book it doesn't matter how vintage your hair is or how authentic your shoes if you spend your time being harshly critical or catty about others.

I spent a lot of time in my 20's feeling fairly insecure and being vitriolic about other women and the way they dressed and now at 36 I look back and think what a silly waste of time it was. There is always going to be someone more authentic, or well-dressed or beautiful than you just around the corner so I think it makes more sense to be glad for what you are, what you have and endeavour to be gracious to others.

If you are a stickler about having to have everything authentic and mint then good for you, but I'm gonna stick up for the girl wearing the TopShop copy or even the "one season" Bettie Bangs. Surely it's all about doing what makes you feel good, dressing up and having fun.

We are all different and we will all have a different take on what we consider a vintage look. It really doesn't matter to me if someone wears their hair in victory rolls with a repro 50's pencil skirt and the "wrong" shoes.

I appreciate that there are different contexts, so for example if you are getting paid by a wardrobe unit to get it right, then your really ought to be able to pull it off. However if we are just talking about the regular girls we pass by on the street day by day then each to their own, I certainly don't get my feathers in a ruffle.

But that's just what I think!......Rant over......;)

Lauren

It is true... and there is no "golden rule" for authenticity... like I said, or meant to say, not everyone looked like a model or movie star! Trying to live up to that standard would be so disheartening and in my opinion, there's many more things I'd rather be doing than looking in a mirror and getting ready that long every day ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael