Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preserving jackets in high humidity

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm relocating to Hong Kong and am interested to hear from anyone who has been in a similar climate as to how they care for leather out there. I have previously lived for extended periods of time in very humid weather, and have not had any undue problems with leather shoes, mould, etc. I'd probably just use dehumidifying gel and silica packs in the cupboard (I'm taking either a cafe racer or a LHB with me; the rest of the jackets are staying in the UK), but does anybody here have any extra tips? It'll only be worn for about 10 weeks of the year if past experience is anything to go by!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
All leather has some moisture content, but should basically feel dry.
In high humidity, I imagine if the leather is properly treated, humidity won't bother it. The oils and waxes used in treating it will keep water out of the leather.

As long as it's not actually damp or attracting condensation, I'd expect that it should be fine. If it is wet, you'll need to dry it out as one does, by hanging it up where dry air can circulate around it, and not with heat. If it's really wet you can try to wick moisture out by pressing it with absorbent towels.

Peacoat

Bartender
Blackadder's advice to keep the air conditioner on is probably the best way to avoid humidity. However we have a storage area downstairs where we keep expensive saddles and other tack. There appears to be more moisture there than other parts of the house as the tack would develop mold if not used for several months in the Summer. We solved the problem by putting a de-humidifier in the area. End of mold problem.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
don't leave the jacket outside at night :)
here is also pretty humid, and I hang the jacket outside on a towel rack to absorb some humidity to help it broken in faster and more grainy

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Leaving leather items in a cupboard with no drying agents is an invitation for mould to grow. Generally, I try not to leave my leather jacket in cupboards. I hang it in my room and turn on the air-conditioner at night. It would be good if your residence is away from the coast but seeing how you are in Hong Kong, that might be a bit difficult. Fortunately, it is dry during the winter months in Hong Kong.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leaving leather items in a cupboard with no drying agents is an invitation for mould to grow. Generally, I try not to leave my leather jacket in cupboards. I hang it in my room and turn on the air-conditioner at night. It would be good if your residence is away from the coast but seeing how you are in Hong Kong, that might be a bit difficult. Fortunately, it is dry during the winter months in Hong Kong.
Hills on HK island and anywhere near the waterfront is worse than the flatter areas in the New Territories.

zebedee

One Too Many
I'll scrub down cupboards, use dehumidifier gel (maybe machine, too). Will likely be in TKO, so will see what happens. Winters won't be a problem- I'm hoping to be in a well-ventilated apartment...

Cheers!

ace12

New in Town
Welcome to Tko! It's the wettest yet the driest district in HK. Humidity can raise to 100% and it can dip to 20% in the driest season. For my beloved leather I place dehumidifier gel in all the wardrobes, drawers, etc and a dehumidifier is also RECOMMENDED. The worst season is spring and I have dehumidifier running for 2 - 3 hours a day (at least) with windows stay shut at all times. Good luck

zebedee

One Too Many
I used to live in Guangzhou, and didn't have any leather rotting there (those little gel tubs, a fan and air-conditioning were all I had to use), but I reckon TKO is going to present its own challenges... I could just buy some cheaper vintage jackets there for the winter and not risk the Aero, but I remember (seemingly) unreasonably cold winters where a heavy jacket was quite handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran