Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prestigious Jobs

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Rock n Roll star, fighter pilot, president. The rest is dreck. That's what they say, anyway. All I know is my job is NOT prestigious, but my users love me!

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Maybe it'll help if you remember that surveys like this aren't really a measurement of what most people think, but rather a measurement of what the people who actually stay on the phone and answer all their questions think.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I'm at both extremes...

"He's self-employed, must not be able to hold a real job, no benefits, definitely not CEO material, coward, ran away from the race..."

"He's an independent consultant, he must be very good at what he does, how else could he be out on his own, he must be rich..."

None of the above being true.

I was surprised the article mentioned an increase in respect for farmers. Any theories as to why?

M8

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like everything on the web we must view it with care. Who originated the survey? Were they experts degreed people with voluminous experience in the field? Who is CNN too? A TV station. So how much is actual news as reported and how much is entertainment instigated by CNN as a fluff piece?

The article consists of barely 1,000 words- certainly not an in-depth study.

carter

I'll Lock Up
You can't spend prestige.

I'd like to see that survey add a comparison of commensurate income to level of prestige.

I believe we'd find that prestige, as measured by this poll, and income have an inverse corrolation.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
carter said:
I'd like to see that survey add a comparison of commensurate income to level of prestige.

I believe we'd find that prestige, as measured by this poll, and income have an inverse corrolation.

ruh-roh! :eek: Don't inject reality into play :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
"He's self-employed, must not be able to hold a real job, no benefits, definitely not CEO material, coward, ran away from the race..."

"He's an independent consultant, he must be very good at what he does, how else could he be out on his own, he must be rich..."
Ironically, if you are slightly obnoxious and condescending, you'll probably get the successful assessment, whereas the more self-effacing or happy-go-lucky will be branded losers. We envy those who turn their backs on the rat race, but we also hold them in a certain contempt.

Better a happy-go-lucky loser than an obnoxious success, says I, self-employed.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Ironically, if you are slightly obnoxious and condescending, you'll probably get the successful assessment, whereas the more self-effacing or happy-go-lucky will be branded losers. We envy those who turn their backs on the rat race, but we also hold them in a certain contempt.

Better a happy-go-lucky loser than an obnoxious success, says I, self-employed.

And there you have it.

M8

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Like everything on the web we must view it with care. Who originated the survey? Were they experts degreed people with voluminous experience in the field? Who is CNN too? A TV station. So how much is actual news as reported and how much is entertainment instigated by CNN as a fluff piece?

The article consists of barely 1,000 words- certainly not an in-depth study.

The survey was done by Harris Interactive, the same people who do a lot of these things. They also do the top 25 college football polls.

I think that, for most of the surveys like this, they just call people until they get 1,000 to stay on the line and answer the questions.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't impressed at all with the summary posted at CNN, but also wasn't willing to purchase the full report over at Harris.

That being said, some of this is obviously cultural (pre-9/11 respect for firefighters vs. post 9/11 respect for firefighters), lack of respect for persons in both blue collar and executive positions, unless featured on the news, etc, etc.

Anyone want to guess along with me the average geographic location and age of the responders, hmmm? :eusa_doh:

In Northern California, Executives are accorded a huge amount of respect. I used to be a CEO, and I was astounded at the amount of respect I received, both as CEO and business owner.

:eek:fftopic: One of the more interesting comments I received was from my former next-door suite neighbor in my office building. The gentlemen were from Hong Kong, and ignored me completely. After being there for many months, they asked me, what do you do? I responded I was CEO of the business next door and told them a bit about the business. Their response was that they didn't know women were allowed to be CEO's in this country, let alone own businesses. From than on, each time I saw either of the gentlemen, they bowed to me, as a sign of respect.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
$ally said:
Yes, especially with sucess. Also "class".

As you can probably tell, "class" is one of those things I have failed to cultivate. I have made an effort, but after 50+ years, this gig just ain't getting any better :D

Bebop

Practically Family
I think prestige takes on a different meaning when you go from city to the country or rural areas (S.F. to E. Wash. State in my case). Money is not as prestigious in the country. It seems people consider achievements over an extended period of time more prestigious in the lower populated country towns.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It's all in perspective. One man's idol is another man's contempt. I figure either people like me or not. It's all in the paycheck anyway for me. If I can make more money doing one thing than another I go for the higher pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80