Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles' Style: Like or Dis-Like?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
To be fair, you really need to consider his wardrobe in toto.

prince+charles.jpg

PrinceCharlesReturns.jpg

prince-charles-300x245.jpg

new_zealand_monarchy.jpg

prince-charles-awi-10.jpg

article-0-07214A9A000005DC-490_468x635.jpg

prince-charles-in-kilt.jpg

3a5c6219-9120-57e9-b2bb-f32d867f2ea0.image.jpg

Uniforms and ritual dress do not count. I find his habit of wearing a blue bodied shirt with a morning coat rather boorish and I also dislike his habit of wearing all of his garments (or most) in the gray scale. A gray tie with a pale blue shirt and then a gray morning suit is just so boring! I suppose I should have been more specific. But really, in his personal life he is so dull in his garments. He is almost always correct, but there is a way to be correct and still have some style, some flare, something to be a blip on the otherwise flat-lining level of the pulse of his sense of style. It's the boringness of it all, the lack of vitality to his style which I find abhorrent, that and his involvement with that crocodile or leatherette hand-bag that he calls a wife or mistress or whatever one would or could call her. She is aesthetically un-pleasing.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Everything reflects personality... if it didn't we wouldn't be here.

I just think he reflects other people's personalities more than his own. Less Mountbatten and more the general ideal of an Englishman of the current times that must be trapped in a suit and now and again a kilt.

you can say that's well dressed, yet here in the states I say it's droll! He has no sense of himself!

If Mountbatten it is!

Where is Charles???????

WHERE OH WHERE IS CHARLES??????????

I think that you have stated it the most concisely of anyone yet sir! Bravo! (I mostly dislike his tendency towards being garbed entirely in mouse gray and dull pale blue most of the time, it makes him look like a silver mounted China plate)

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Prince Charles might dress like a boring school teacher but he is a secret sex fiend

“Do you seriously expect me to be the first Prince of Wales in history not to have a mistress?”
Prince Charles quote

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree that perhaps a few more suits would go down well. Maybe something in navy and a few pinstripes and possibly even prince of wales check. And while I could understand him only wanting to wear blue or white shirts (I stick to those when wearing suits) I see no reason why he doesn't wear more varied ties.

However, I'd prefer a boringly dressed heir to the thrown than an inappropriately dressed one.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Evan Everhart said:
Uniforms and ritual dress do not count.
Stacking the deck, are you.
Evan Everhart said:
he is so dull in his garments. He is almost always correct, but there is a way to be correct and still have some style, some flare, something to be a blip on the otherwise flat-lining level of the pulse of his sense of style.
Maybe he feels that he alone is the show and doesn't feel the need to employ bells and whistles to entertain the easily bored.
Evan Everhart said:
his involvement with that crocodile or leatherette hand-bag that he calls a wife or mistress or whatever one would or could call her. She is aesthetically un-pleasing.
This is a character revealing statement.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Camilla and Charlie are okay folks.

Let's just stick to dress. She has a flare and a little obnoxious often caries a woman through a big to-do.

He wears state dress and looks like all the other's that have preceded him in state dress. But when it comes to personal flare... well I think his relatives were blessed with that nature while he sticks to what he is told to wear. It's always easier that way.

Cross no boundaries, stay British stodgy, it's your duty.

He's not in the clothes shown so far.

It still remains... Where is Charles?

On the counter point. Looks great!
I hope he didn't feel too costumed wearing that. Overall it's all a good hot weather combo.

Yet i still don't like those lapels.

Prince+Charles+Indonesia+Day+4+IISkcbH03Wgl.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
But when it comes to personal flare... well I think his relatives were blessed with that nature while he sticks to what he is told to wear.
Firstly, I doubt anyone dictates his dress. And secondly, precisely who are these well dressed relations; photos please.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Prince Philip of course!

The Don Draper of Buckingham.

Always has that Square folded handkerchief, 2 button suits and "I'll kick your ass!" style.

And keep an eye out for his tie bars.

Unlike Charles, his son, he doesn't look like he's been dressed by someone else.

I love this! \/ It's like a three button with no bottom button.
article-1048637-00D1993000000578-142_468x657.jpg
f7541b16e2370aa8_landing

675F6D9D-D9AC-573D-589B6358A44FAC46.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
Prince Philip of course!
Unlike Charles, his son, he doesn't look like he's been dressed by someone else.
They both dress similarly, to my eye. [huh]

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
...Lord Mountbatten was definitely his idol.
And Wales has acknowledged that as well. Mountbatten was the last of the great working UK royals as far as I am concerned. I am surprised his name hasn't popped up on that mentor/role-model thread.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
He's not Gary Cooper or Clark Gable... He had style yet it was like that of most in his generation. Nothing really outstanding, just commonplace.

And still better than Charles.

And his lapels on all his double breasted suits, unlike Charles', look like they are there for a reason.
article-2.jpg
LordLady.jpg

"Now look here, let's say we call all this to-do off and you give us your land and your dignity and I'll buy you a nice new suit."
p80ce9yp2vtmcnfs.D.0.Gandhi_with_Lord_Mountbatten.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm none too impressed with Battenberg/Mountbatten's hi-water pants and short sleeves either...is the jacket supposed to be that short in the body?

I don't mean to be impolite, but Charles has short, stubby fingers, like sausages. That pinky ring doesn't help matters either.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
While its not the most exciting look, I think there is nothing wrong with Chas' style. I'd be hard to find a well known American today (either in politics or show business) that dresses as well as him. I think he looks quite good most of the time, there are times he misses the mark, but don't we all from time to time? I have to say he looks better than the Duke does in those photos..

miss_elise

Practically Family
davestlouis said:
I don't mean to be impolite, but Charles has short, stubby fingers, like sausages. That pinky ring doesn't help matters either.
Isn't it some kind of royal signet ring or family crest... seeing as he would actually have a genuine one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn