Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles' Style: Like or Dis-Like?

cptjeff

Practically Family
Garrett said:
Alright - I'd like to see photos of the above lounge members (dressed in their best) who have commented negatively about Charles' attire. If you cant put up, then....you know the rest ;)

Being a college student, I can't afford what he can afford. Give me his budget and I'll put up all right.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Garrett said:
Alright - I'd like to see photos of the above lounge members (dressed in their best) who have commented negatively about Charles' attire. If you cant put up, then....you know the rest ;)

You seem to have raised the question of whether I am better dressed than Charles,a question I had avoided out of modesty.

I am photographically post-digital (I no longer have a working digital camera) so I cannot post a picture, but I can tell you that today I am wearing cowboy boots, 501's, button-down white shirt, and tweed jacket, with plain steel watch on brown leather band and imitation Wayfarer glasses frames. My wife told me I look handsome today (but then she does almost everyday).

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
Something about the cut and fit of the suit in the first picture just doesn't look right to me.
It struck me the same way at first, but I think the suit is probably being deformed some because he has his hands in the pockets. I like the second suit, just not the tie or collar, but that's just my personal taste. Looking up pictures of Marzotto, I've found some very nice suits. I love the lapels on this one:

download3.jpg

And this one:
1210.258477236.jpg

This one, too:
lapressero310309pol0015.333.500.jpg

That being said, I also really like a lot of the suits I've seen Prince Charles wear. I love the cream colored suit, though the lapels don't look quite right to me.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Confirm my dislike for Marzotto's style.

Nothing actually wrong in his suites (in the above pictures, the second one is very nice), and maybe I'm biased by my dislike for the complacent, self-satisfied personality that exudes from his expressions, but he doesn't seem to display a great effort in chosing suits...
mostly double breasted coats, not completely apted for his squared, muscular body type, in solid dark colours or pinstripes... looks like he's posing as a wannabe actor- 30s mafioso impersonator
(hey, I'm italian, I kind have a ghettopass to say this ;) )

all in all, the way he wears those suits... not really my taste, sorry.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
That Marzotto guy (whoever he may be) actually manages to make Charles look good. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I am better dressed than these guys.

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Yes but times have changed, royalty do not enjoy the level of support that they did of say 70, 80 years ago when you did see more flamboyance. If Charles were to dress extravagantly in this day and age he'd cop a ton of flak over it and not just over what he was wearing. Charles dresses absolutely correctly and appropriately for the next-in-line. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread it also suits his personality and demeanour. I don't want my future King swanning around like a dandy or some fashion statement, it wouldn't be appropriate for his position.

I don't want a king at all. ;) Where we do agree, however, is that Charles is in a precarious position - even a fair proportion of pro-monarchists here in the UK vigorously oppose his ascension to the throne. If anything ever brings down the monarchy here it will not be the republicans (despite the fact that the monarchy in general enjoys significantly less support than it did even twenty years ago), but rather "Diana's Army". He absolutely cannot afford to rock the boat at all. A difficult position for him to be in, to be sure. He takes enough risks paying what he does for his wardrobe (again, a case of damned if he does.... were he to buy everything in M&S, he'd no doubt be accused of being a miser), without drawing attention to it by being overtly flamboyant. The Windsors are also simply a very traditional breed in general, look at his sons at the Concert for Diana. At this major pop concert, the most informal of occasions, they were the only teenage kids to show up wearing collar and tie. That's simply how the Old Firm do things. Don't expect Charles (or any of the rest of them, for that matter) to change any time soon.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I hate to be the crab others have described me as, but this whole thread to me smacks of throwing stones from glass houses. I enjoy critiquing style as much as anyone, but Charles and Marzotto are both stylish men and--if only because they have money--dress better than 90% or more of the men who post on this forum and all the other internet clothing fora. Myself included.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
I hate to be the crab others have described me as, but this whole thread to me smacks of throwing stones from glass houses. I enjoy critiquing style as much as anyone, but Charles and Marzotto are both stylish men and--if only because they have money--dress better than 90% or more of the men who post on this forum and all the other internet clothing fora. Myself included.

Well said.

He's classically stylish without becoming too outdated.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. Hadn't followed this thread (until just reading it), but I'm amazed at all the pent up hostility to Prince Charles. Well, I guess it's not pent up anymore.

The prince is, to my humble eye, one of the best dressed public figures that I see. He dresses perfectly for his position, which is just what he ought to do. I'm not sure exactly how folks here want him to dress that would still be appropriate for the heir to the throne.

If only I could dress as badly as the prince.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
I think Prince Charles tends to dress well to very well, but has an odd-looking face. If you pay too much attention to the face, the rest of the outfit can suffer. Guilt by association, you know. :p
Some clotheshorses would prefer that a guy who doesn't do much more than run around looking pretty (or does he do real work? I'm not up on what UK royalty does) would be daring every now and then... wear brighter colors, different shoes, etc. These clotheshorses differentiate dressing 'well' from simply dressing 'properly'. You can easily dress properly and look a bit bland. Dark suit, black shoes, dark tie, white shirt. It works fine, but variety is nice.

LordBest

Practically Family
His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales performs over 400 official engagements a year and raised 250 million dollars for charity last year alone, a heavier workload than some heads of state.

Geronimo said:
I think Prince Charles tends to dress well to very well, but has an odd-looking face. If you pay too much attention to the face, the rest of the outfit can suffer. Guilt by association, you know. :p
Some clotheshorses would prefer that a guy who doesn't do much more than run around looking pretty (or does he do real work? I'm not up on what UK royalty does) would be daring every now and then... wear brighter colors, different shoes, etc. These clotheshorses differentiate dressing 'well' from simply dressing 'properly'. You can easily dress properly and look a bit bland. Dark suit, black shoes, dark tie, white shirt. It works fine, but variety is nice.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
LordBest said:
His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales performs over 400 official engagements a year and raised 250 million dollars for charity last year alone, a heavier workload than some heads of state.
Very commendable.

metropd

One Too Many
Honestly I think Charles looks better than anybody I have ever seen on the FL. I find Marzotto to be one of the most Elegantly dressed people living today. I think Marzotto has to be one of my most personal favorite style influences.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
LordBest said:

I do not think you really understand the "workload" of a leader who actually has to make meaningful decisions.

As to Charles, what you describe as "official engagements'' and fund raising sounds to me a lot like what I would call "running around and looking pretty," except he just doesn't manage the "looking pretty" part very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner