Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Progress Suit Catalog - Fall/Winter 1920 w/ Illustrations and Swatches

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
So I picked this up for a really good price on eBay recently and thought I'd scan and post it. Some cool styles and some even cooler fabric swatches included in this catalog! Enjoy!

smprogress01.jpg

smprogress02.jpg

smprogress03.jpg

smprogress04.jpg

smprogress05.jpg

smprogress06.jpg

smprogress07.jpg

smprogress08.jpg

smprogress09.jpg

smprogress10.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Slam bang. Thank you for these great scans!

The diversity of cuts during the early 20's is really fascinating... so many contradictory styles at the same time.

Some neat ones here, that I would wear.
Some are overdone and scurrilous... pardon "extremely daring"... like those fancy-pocket novelty suits or extreme peg trousers.
The box jackets are not my cup of tea either.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for sharing this catalogue, it's an excellent record of what could have been fashionable, or simply sold in 1920.

Slam bang. Thank you for these great scans!

The diversity of cuts during the early 20's is really fascinating... so many contradictory styles at the same time.

Some neat ones here, that I would wear.
Some are overdone and scurrilous... pardon "extremely daring"... like those fancy-pocket novelty suits or extreme peg trousers.
The box jackets are not my cup of tea either.

I agree with your reaction. There seem to have been so many different fashion choices all at once, in 1920. To me, the 1920s appears to have had the most different cuts and styles of suits or other coats available, and this is only from the beginning of the decade. I am not a fan of the box back and the full peg styles, particularly, and I find the unique pockets odd. The vests with the v-shaped arrangement of buttons look interesting, but not overdone to the point I dislike them.

DesertDan

One Too Many
This is facinating. I never imagined that there were so many stylistic varieties available at this time period.
I must say that the "Norfolk" (# 852) really grabs me as does the more conservative #810.

The "M" back on the coats and the various custom shirt cuff options are also quite nice.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the 'box back' is totally absent from the catalogues of the same year i own (Charles Williams 1920 and M.Ward 1920) so i wonder if this was pretty much it's final outing ?
they also don't have any of the overly fancy pocket flap designs seen above. both hark back to the mid teens, so many of these designs are slightly backward-looking for the year.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
the overly fancy pocket flap designs seen above. both hark back to the mid teens, so many of these designs are slightly backward-looking for the year.

All the more odd that they are described as ¨brand new novelty¨. So much for truth in advertising

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
You're welcome guys, I'm glad you're enjoying this post. No sense in letting a resource like this collect dust on my shelf when there are others out there who are interested in it. :)

All the more odd that they are described as ¨brand new novelty¨. So much for truth in advertising

Not to mention the name of the company itself!

John Galt

Vendor
Hats are my bag, and I've been similarly surprised by the great variety of styles offered by the premier hatters in this time frame. Fascinating post. Thanks for sharing!

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Great scans! I love the diversity in hat colours as well.

I found these on Etsy, they are from the same company.
Some more interesting styles and fabrics. Like 'new style lapels' on the first one (can't say I'm a fan of those) and the left cap's fabric on the last one.
il_570xN.608777436_22bc.jpg il_570xN.608889045_2tt2.jpg il_570xN.608777042_es8j.jpg il_570xN.608887441_obbi.jpg il_570xN.608851959_dp1g.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou