Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Runway

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
I am dissappointed to see Alison go. Week to week she is very good. I havent been impressed by Vincent's designs at all.
And really Kayne was more of a meltdown.

But I heard one review that complained that in the disclaimer at the end of the show, Judges scores are mixed with producer input. So obviously they are nurturing the contestants who produce flamboyant tv.

I agree. People who are really good and make one big mistake loose to people who consistantly come in the bottom half. Vincent is horrible. Right now I think Mike and Jeff have the most talent, easily.

I seriously love this show, though I know nothing about women's wear. Tim Gunn is one of the most entertaining TV personalities ever.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Daisy, you must watch! You'd love it. I really like Ulga (???German girl) and the red head lady has some good designs in terms of being on the more tailored side of the spectrum. Tattooed-neck boy really didn't come across in an appealing light on the Mom episode.

221b

Familiar Face
2555296670090946614gfztkG_ph.jpg

Hi Designers!lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
this week resolution

Now that was pretty cold. Fly all the contestants to Europe so that a final judge can evalute the 'jetset' designs...then the big loser is immediately dismissed to fly all the way back home.
Da-ammmmmn.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh yes!!!! I kinda hope Laura wins. Jeffrey has such a poor attitude I hope he isn't the winner. Uli creations are so similar although she makes some beautiful dresses, just not my style clothing.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Totally Addicted

I love this show and I think this is my favorite season ever. I'm rooting for Michael or Laura (I'd wear every piece Laura has designed and I can't say that for any of the rest of them). I think Jeffery is a prat personally but he does have talent. Uli seems like a nice person but I thinks she's just made the same dress for every challenge but the last one.

Like everyone else in the known universe I adore Tim--wish he was my uncle since (as a friend of mine puts it) he's "not taking my charge card". His podcasts really add a lot to the show for me.

Can't wait to see the final two shows!

Elaina

One Too Many
Loved Tim until I read the outzone article that the question was

"Being bravo’s gay little brother, we at OUTzone definitely look at things from a very gay perspective -- why is fashion in particular a gay man’s medium?

I mean, I hate to say this. Actually, I don’t hate to say it, I’ll say it proudly, I think most things associated with quality, taste, style and design are the territory of gay men." it's here in it's entirety.

http://blogs.outzonetv.com/breakoutnews/2006/09/q_a_with_big_gunn_1.php

Then on the Bravo TV blog...I understand being proud of who you are. I'm for it. But that was in poor taste, and he should have known better then to alienate a multitude of fans. Of course, I may be taking it personally since I'm in that boat, and I get blasted all the time. "Are you sure you're not a gay man in disguise?" "Wow, what gay man taught YOU style?" It is, sadly, an attitude shared by most in the industry. Put quite a black little spin on it for me. [huh] I think I just take PR way too seriously.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi Elaina,

I read that article too and that comment was a sweeping generalization, no question. I took it to mean that gay men are often associated with the arts, design, being keyed into how things look more than some other groups but I didn't take it to mean that he thought these things were the exclusive territory of that, or any group. But I can see how it could be taken in other ways too. That's the trouble with text sometimes, without inflection or immediate context it's hard to know.

I had no patience with him when he was referring to one of the models as "zaftig" when she couldn't have been over a size 6! Again, I understand that in the fashion world that may be true but come on!

Tim's not perfect but I still love him on the show.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I just can't stand Laura. She's an extremely grating person (Who honestly looks at someone else's fabric and says "Wow, my stuff is all so tasteful compared to yours."?) and I'm really getting tired of every rehashed, early Chanel derivative she is throwing out there. If I see one more boxy lace cocktail dress with sparkles or feathers I'm going to cry. It's like she's designing only for middle-aged cocktail drinkers with belly rolls to cover up. Every time I see one or her outfits I wonder what Liza Minnelli is up to.
Michael and Uly are very cool. I'd hang out with them any day (Though my favorite is still Kayne. My God, that man can sew better and faster than anyone I have ever seen.) But I don't know what happened with Michael. He was always so chic before, I don't get this weird safari of his. I wonder if he's the decoy? I liked Uly's blue dress a lot, I'm just very not into the whole flowy Uly-dress thing. (And everyone seems to be calling long flowy patterned dresses "Uly dresses" now.)
I really liked a couple of the pieces in Jeffrey's line. I'd wear his first and last looks any day.
I skipped the reunion episode cause I don't want to watch them all fight for an hour. I'm over the Project Runway scandals. I pretty much don't care about the Laura/Jeffrey one at all. I have not agreed with a PR winner yet, so I imagine Michael or Laura will win this year.

BV

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've loved Laura and Jeffrey since the beginning...I am ON PINS AND NEEDLES to see if Jeffrey gets disqualified!!!!!! What do you all think?!!

I know his collection gets shown because I looked on the internet and have seen all the collections...I couldn't resist.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've loved Laura and Jeffrey since the beginning...I am ON PINS AND NEEDLES to see if Jeffrey gets disqualified!!!!!! What do you all think?!!

I know his collection gets shown because I looked on the internet and have seen all the collections...I couldn't resist.

I can't wait for next week either! He might have been disqualified even if he did show since in previous years they always had 1 over the finalist number show so folks wouldn't know which were the actual finalists.

The show is well done--I'm not sure how it will go. Personally, I think that ethically Jeffery wouldn't have trouble cheating but I think he's too smart to do it, especially after Keith got kicked off earlier in the season. I was surprised at how hurt I was for him when Laura said she told Tim her suspicions. Which I think Laura was perfectly within her rights to do, by the way. It's going to seem like a long time until next week!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree that she was within her rights to do so, and I wish she would have talked to him FIRST, then Tim.

But yeah, apparently there is NOTHING on the internet spilling the beans, which makes me think Jeffrey was not disqualified, because I think if he HAD been he would have made a stink.

Elaina

One Too Many
I dislike Jeffrey. And I don't like sticking up for the guy...

However, as a designer, you have piles and piles of ideas. He's a designer, I'm sure he's got ideas from way back when that he may never have had the money to do. Didn't he say he was making one of a kind items? So he may have had this show in mind for a good long time (lord knows I do). Problem is, he's struggled for how many years now? The cost of producing these items may have been prohibitive to him, but when he got enough money, he knew exactly what he wanted to do.

Now Uli pointed out that only a couple garments were perfect on the inside. the rest were "normal". Uh ok. If you sew you know there are certain garments making the inside 100% nice makes the garment better. Sometimes it messes it all kinds of up. Case in point: I have old 60's polyester that I French seamed the entire garment. The shoulders lay beautifully, the bodice hangs just right and I have an expensive looking garment. Had I not of treated the garment this way, it would look cheap. I also have a denim skirt that I have not French seamed the interior because it would make it bulky, lie in lumps on my frame and look cheap. Jeffie also pointed out that he took his time on the leather jeans to get them perfect. I've also seen an outfit of his in person and looked closely at it (even tho my friend can afford it, I balked at the $650 price tag, and went over the garment with a fine toothed comb) and I personally have seen that the man can not only design (which I do not like) but he is as good a sewer as the touted Daniel V. or Laura to be, given time.

Did you also notice that he was the one doing the housework, the cooking and the child care? Does this allow for a lot of time to do the touches on his designs? Absolutely. Can you produce 12 garments in 2 months like that? Yep. I made 10 in 6 weeks myself and I'm not anywhere near skilled like that. Was it smart to be finished before the man walked in? Yeppers. And it was a stroke of genius to choose models to limit the fitting time.

So did he make them? I believe he has. Did he do that perfect of the work? I also believe he did. In addition, I think he's being honest when he says he is doing this for his son. It seems that it is more important what his kid thinks of him then winning PR.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
The way they're editing it makes me suspect that Jeffrey will be the final PR winner. Because they're really emphasizing his rags-to-riches story, his sweet family & adorable son, and making him seem like a really nice guy. (in stark contrast to the crazy angry man he's been all season) Meanwhile they're making Laura look *crazy*. My favorite "excessive editing" shot was Laura peeking out from behind the dresses like a little rat while Tim looked at Jeffrey's pieces. That shot might not have even happened while that scene was going on, but it's edited together to make Laura look like a paranoid little busybody.

Also, I kind of noticed that when Tim visited all the houses and looked at the clothes he had something negative or constructive to say to everyone but Jeffrey. I'm sure he did say stuff to Jeffrey: random magazine interviews indicate that he told Jeffrey that he was worried about the amoutn of work left to do on the collection, but in the final edit he only praises it. Tim said that they edited him the same way when Chloe won, so they took out the part where he looked at her collection and said "Where's the matching ottoman?" Because they want the audience to think that the winner is a super-awesome fashion genius.

I'm not really surprised by his craftsmanship. A lot of his pieces had a very deconstructed look, but that's just an aesthetic. His final two pieces -- the yellow plaid couture gown and the little Empress Josephine dress -- were beautifully made. I think the guy can sew very well. Oh, and his own outfit for the "jetsetter" thing. I was very impressed that he made that jacket and those pants that quickly.

Hee. My favorite part in the whole show was when Tim was at Laura's house and all the kids came running out to say hi. And hte one little boy was like "Hi! This is for you!" and handed something to Tim and Tim was like "Oh, well thank you! What is it?"
Boy: "Turtle poop!"
Tim: "Eeeeewwwww!"
lol
(Oh my god, that house was HUGE! And it's in Manhattan ... I don't even want to imagine how much $$ Laura's got to have. While we were watching it my fiance suddenly paused the Tivo and went "Oh my god, look how many dress forms she has!!!" There were at least 4 Wolf forms in one shot. @_@ yeowza.)

I do hope Jeffrey wins. His was the only one of the final 4 collections I'd buy clothes from. (I really do want the blue stripey dress and the red polka dot dress)

BV - still misses Kayne. I could just watch that man sew all day long.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Yay! Oh I think that was totally deserved. Man, reality TV is *so* much more fulfilling when the guy you're rooting for wins. Is this why people like sports? I want to marry that final stripey dress and the first red polka dot dress. I'd wear those every day. Oooh! If he got the money he can just shunt it into his existing line and kick up production and now maybe I can buy some of his pieces! Yay! ^_^

What on earth happened to Michael's taste? I almost laughed out loud when they said "Michael really understands a woman's body." ... Michael doesn't understand my body. Michael only understands Pam Grier's body. The Pam Grier challenge worked for him, so he sent 4 of them down the runway. blaah. He & Uly were both doing the 70s dance all over the runway, but Uly was at least the chic(ish) part of the 70s.

Uly was nice. Very soft and flowy and feminine. I wouldn't wear it because it is not my style, but I think it is lovely for a Florida girl, and very flexible as far as age goes. My mom could wear those, and so could my little sister. I don't think any of the other collections had that kind of flexibility.

Laura confuses me. They complained that her stuff was too old and not exciting, so she sent unlined sheer dresses down the runway? If you can't be interesting, show your nipples and underpants? Blah. She's so prim and self-consciously glamorous, but she has a weird little element of crass that comes out every once in awhile. I don't get it. Like that "For Nuts Only" dress. I thought that was lame when I was being generous, but really it was just crass. But for the most part I feel like she just makes clothes for aging socialites. Even my mom would say her clothes are too old.

BV - celebrating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot