Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Attire for attending the Met?

carldelo

One Too Many
Your outfit sounds just right to me. You might wind up leaving the vest behind at the last minute if it is anywhere near as warm and muggy as it has been in the city for the last month (unless the heat doesn't bother you, of course). I would not wear a tuxedo unless it was opening night of an opera, which isn't going to happen in July.

Geesie

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Is this a trick question?

Get a pedicure if you're wearing flip flops. ;)

I would give other advice to someone wearing flip flops to the Met, and that advice would involve a sturdy rope and a chair.

WH1

Practically Family
Update

Went to the American Ballet Company production of Romeo and Juliet at the Met. It was a grand evening. My wife, Karen and I enjoyed it immensely. The dancers were amazing especially during the third act when Romeo believes Juliet is dead, truly amazing the physicality of the dance. The sets and costumes were beautiful.

I did wear my dinner jacket (full ensemble) peak lapels, 3 button vest, wing collar shirt, and shoes with gross grain bows. We were way overdressed compared to everyone else aside from one gent who appeared to be channeling Michael Jackson white mess jacket complete with neck medal on ribbon, shoulder boards, and fringe. (couldn't see if he had a single glove on and judging by the haircut he was not military). It made my wife very happy as she looked spectacular in a black St John evening gown she was eager to debut. The others in our box wore everything from suit and tie to jeans and a button down. No Flip Flops though!

All in all a wonderful evening.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I love dressing up with my wife to go to the opera and other performances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR