Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper boots, and their place in the vintage wardrobe

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Hi all,

How would one incorporate, what I'm calling, 'proper boots' into vintage style? My want to wear such boots generally arises during particularly wet weather, often with several days of wet weather in succession, in which my oxfords and derbies would become a soggy mess.

When I say proper boots, I mean something like this http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11645349&prodFindSrc=paramNav

I've got a pair of Timberlands almost identical, but in suede.

While I could see them as part of a vintage workwear look (with Dickies, plaid workshirt, flat cap etc), I was wondering if there was anyway to wear such footwear with a three piece suit and fed?

The only solution I could come up with would be to wear plus fours and long socks, a kind of military look.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
If you like to play dress up with vintage clothing, that's great. Look good doing it when you have somewhere to go where you can show it off and get noticed. If you lead your day to day life in vintage clothes, there's nothing wrong with having a sense of style. But if you want to live a vintage life, then get ready for the consequences. Back in those days, people got wet.

I guess those rubber overshoes were around back then. You could wear whatever nice shoes you own, then wrap those rubber booties over them. Or the other alternative is just to get wet. Back then, they just didn't have waterproof boots. Even in the military, they wore their leather combat boots, and those boots would get saturated if you were out in the rain all day.

We have the technology now. Get yourself some boots with Gore-Tex and Thinsulate. Keep your feet dry and warm, so that you can be healthy to dress vintage another day. You really want to wear a vintage hospital gown after you get sick?

As for vintage looking boots, I like the Allen Edmonds Bayfield. Perfect for reenactments of sinking on a cruise ship. Just remember that they don't use real bullets in those Civil War reenactments. So don't really use a sinking ship. You could drown doing that.

Fifty150

One Too Many

Overview
SWIMS Classic Galoshes allow you to wear your favorite shoes regardless of weather conditions, while also providing a classy look. Slip them on before walking wet and muddy streets, then slip them off when you arrive. Enhanced comfort is assured and your shoes will stay shiny and clean.

This sleek black model is a must for any urban professional who demands quality shoes. Whether going out on the town or simply to the office, SWIMS Classic will ensure you arrive in style.

Seamless construction
Intelligent fit and great stretch
Pull on & pull off loop
Low friction when slipping on and off
Unique inner lining and insulation
Better grip on slippery surfaces
Shock-absorbing heel
Tear-resistant
Waterproof

Overview
SWIMS Classic Galoshes allow you to wear your favorite shoes regardless of weather conditions, while also providing a classy look. Slip them on before walking wet and muddy streets, then slip them off when you arrive. Enhanced comfort is assured and your shoes will stay shiny and clean.

Protect your shoes and boots in even the most extreme weather conditions with a pair of SWIMS Mobster Boot Galoshes. Mix it up with your favorite jeans or simply when you wish to get noticed. Show the world that you feel good regardless of the elements.

Seamless construction
Intelligent fit and great stretch
Pull on & pull off loop
Low friction when slipping on and off
Unique inner lining and insulation
Better grip on slippery surfaces
Shock-absorbing heel
Tear-resistant
Waterproof

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Thanks guys but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick :eusa_doh:

I have dress boots, I was asking for advice of wearing boots like I pictured with a suit.

I know it's an odd request but I've seen some stuff on the street-style circuit featuring them done with boots which to my eye mimic a vintage military look. I guess was I was asking was is there any period truth in the wearing of such heavy boots (NOT dress boots) with proper slacks and a blazer?

Cheers again,

Daniel

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh sorry. I see. In europe many workers didn't wear denim but old suits when they went to work. Maybe you can find some pictures in the Œuvre of Brassaï oder August Sander.

August+Sander.jpg

PS: Ok, maybe these are dress boots too. I bet you can find "work boots" in one of the other pictures.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Thanks guys but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick :eusa_doh:

I have dress boots, I was asking for advice of wearing boots like I pictured with a suit.

I know it's an odd request but I've seen some stuff on the street-style circuit featuring them done with boots which to my eye mimic a vintage military look. I guess was I was asking was is there any period truth in the wearing of such heavy boots (NOT dress boots) with proper slacks and a blazer?

Cheers again,

Daniel

The boots you pictured are not for a suit. Maybe you could pull it off if they were smooth calf, but not with the suede, IMO.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Not exactly what you are asking, but in several northern US cities (Providence, Boston, Anchorage, etc.) I have seen men wearing LL Bean style boots with their suits and work clothes when weather was bad.

In regards to those types of boot and also the Bean boots I've mentioned, I do not think it works with with a 3 piece pinstripe business suit, particular in a very lightweight and smooth fabric (unless one wants one's photo in the Sartorialist...). However, I think one can pull off the look with thick tweed suit or flannel or cords and a tweed sportcoat, especially when the weather is bad.

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Not exactly what you are asking, but in several northern US cities (Providence, Boston, Anchorage, etc.) I have seen men wearing LL Bean style boots with their suits and work clothes when weather was bad.

In regards to those types of boot and also the Bean boots I've mentioned, I do not think it works with with a 3 piece pinstripe business suit, particular in a very lightweight and smooth fabric (unless one wants one's photo in the Sartorialist...). However, I think one can pull off the look with thick tweed suit or flannel or cords and a tweed sportcoat, especially when the weather is bad.

Okay, that makes sense.

Cheers

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
These days, people wear anything with anything. Work boots do not go with a business suit. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. If you feel comfortable going forth in such a combination, then do it. Maybe you could pack your dress shoes in your brief case to change into when you get to work.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Why mess with those swims? Simply purchase a couple of pairs of great vintage pebble or scotch grain shoes (Florsheim, Hanover, etc) and wear them in that rainy weather with no fear... as long as you use shoe trees and allow them to dry properly.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Easy on, easy off

How is the fit on those overshoes by Swim?

As compared to standard overshoes, these go on and come off easily. I was in a shoe repair shop last Saturday and saw some "Tosh Weather Gear" overshoes that had a woven fabric liner. I was keenly interested, but they didn't have my size. I stepped out of the shop and whipped out my iPhone to search for some. Alas! The company has gone TU, and I can't find a big pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda