Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

proper length in a navy pea coat

Anthony Rice

New in Town
So I now own a buzz rickson as my main pea coat. I got the size 38. Now I have some cash left over to spend on a REAL vintage one. Now I have become more savy on chest, shoulder measurements etc I'm now brave enough to dive into the vintage market. But one thing still confuses me. What is the ideal length of a pea coat for my height?. Well I could just compare to my Rickson (which feels a little short maybe at 76.5cm from collar seam to hem) but the problem is that Im not aware of how long it should be. I'm not worried about the buzz being a little short because it suites a certain style I sometimes use. But If I get a vintage then I want the length to be as ideal as possible since I will be dressing more old school :D.

Im about 181-182 cm long you could say almost 6ft. Guessing that the back hem should cover my bottom then the buzz rickssons 76.5cm doesn't do it, its of by several cms. If i'm to purchase a 38 vintage with similar armpit to armpit measurements then the length in vintage are usually 32-33". anyways.

Whats the ideal length? how much is the jacket supposed to cover?

interesting subject huh XD Any advice, help or comment would be appreciated.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Please guys correct me if I'm wrong but I think a peacoat should cover the buttocks

So it depend from your body we can give you a number only base on your size.

For example my peacoat length is 75cm and I'm 157cm
My father is 170cm and in both case the coat covers our buttocks.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Depending on how old you go, a 38 might measure 20" pit to pit. An "actual" 38, a coat measuring 19" pit to pit, might really be tagged 36.

I know this because I am currently seeking out a 38 because my 36 (19" pit to pit") is too snug.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, the manufacturer's chest measurement should never be relied on, even in the issue models. The pit to pit will normally give a good indication of how the coat will fit.

For example, if one wants a standard fit with room for a sweater underneath, a chest size of 38 will normally require a size 38 with a pit to pit of about 20.25". A size 36 with a p2p of 19.25" will give a more snug fit, and probably won't have much room for a sweater. Keep in mind that the closer the coat fits to the body, the warmer it will be, and it can be worn without a sweater at lower temps.

For a full discussion of the fitting and sizing of peacoats, see my sticky at the top of the Outerwear section. It has been rewritten and is in the process of being updated. This should be done in the next few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy