Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper shirt collars

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Don't forget that, although this has become the archetypal collar of the '30s, it was by no means the only collar style worn then. Back in the '30s, long-point "Barrymore" collars competed with short-point, square-point, moderate spread, cutaway, round, tab, "tabless" tab, and buttondown collars!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
redfix111.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Marc's Esquire shoot shows this...

Marc Chevalier said:
Don't forget that... Back in the '30s, long-point "Barrymore" collars competed with short-point, square-point, moderate spread, cutaway, round, tab, "tabless" tab, and buttondown collars!
... A great deal of variety... Here's a photo of a MyTailor.com shirt I received in April. Very happy with it except I will have them make the sleeves 1/2" shorter on the next round. ($75.00)
Shirt-Tie.jpg

Kostya

Familiar Face
Mike1973 said:
Just been up in the loft and dug these out...

collars001.jpg

from left to right,
CC41 Newtex 1 1/2 inch high at back, 3 inch point at front. (I'm guessing this one is just post-war, maybe demob.)

The "Old England" Regd. SHAPE LS. Pre-war. 1 1/2 inch at back, 4 inch point at front.

Climax Wonder No84. Pre-war. 1 3/8 inch at back, 3 1/8 inch point at front.

And a couple of close-ups of the middle one...

collars004.jpg

collars002.jpg

These all belonged to my grandfather. I've got a few photo's of him from then but this is the only one that shows one of the collars well, and not well I'm afraid, a copy of a copy...

grandadharry.jpg

I'm guessing about 1936?

I love these collars! Can you, perchance, get some side view pics (laid flat) of the one on the left and the right as well as the middle one? I like the measuring tape in the picture, too--it gives the tailor an idea of the size.

Thanks,
Kostya.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
The Count said:
Any of you chaps tried www.wardrobesupplies.co.uk ?? Cost is £35.00, which is $52 approx. Appear to have these shirts in different colours and also in stripes.

These look very interesting Count. Thanks for the heads up. They don't give much in the way of details for any of their stock but I think I'll give one shirt a go and see what the quality is like.

All the best
Anton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters