Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper wearing of a belt?

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Anyone here wear his belt this way?

binkmeisterRick said:
Hey, as long as it keeps your pants from falling down, isn't that still considered the right way?:p

On Sunday I went to the supermarket. Standing out in front of the store was a young man wearing a belt in a way I had never seen. He was wearing those long short pants (or are they short long pants?), you know the kind where the waist is lower than normal, as in south of the butt cheeks? Well, this guy was also wearing a belt with these, uh, pants, and the belt was threaded through the loops, buckle centered, and located (drum roll here) at mid-thigh!

Now he was standing, not walking, so he might have been keeping the pants from falling to the ground by positioning his feet far enough apart that the waist band was snug against the thighs, so his pants, while falling down, had not yet fallen down. Does this meet binkmeisterRick's criterion for "the right way"?

KILO NOVEMBER said:
On Sunday I went to the supermarket. Standing out in front of the store was a young man wearing a belt in a way I had never seen. He was wearing those long short pants (or are they short long pants?), you know the kind where the waist is lower than normal, as in south of the butt cheeks? Well, this guy was also wearing a belt with these, uh, pants, and the belt was threaded through the loops, buckle centered, and located (drum roll here) at mid-thigh!

Now he was standing, not walking, so he might have been keeping the pants from falling to the ground by positioning his feet far enough apart that the waist band was snug against the thighs, so his pants, while falling down, had not yet fallen down. Does this meet binkmeisterRick's criterion for "the right way"?

This style is spread by MTV from the projects, to the music videos, to your children.

BUT the key thing to remember is that you are not supposed to JUDGE anyone especially by your antiquated value system, that will make you a bad person.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Low potential as a sucessful criminal

John in Covina said:
This style is spread by MTV from the projects, to the music videos, to your children.

BUT the key thing to remember is that you are not supposed to JUDGE anyone especially by your antiquated value system, that will make you a bad person.

Oh, I don't know anything of his character. I had never seen him before, and if I am lucky, I won't see him again. But I don't imagine he was a purse snatcher or anything along that criminal line. After all, how fast could he run with those pants belted that way?

I judge him to be a badly, if carefully, dressed individual. In fact I wish him well. I hope that if any pictures of him in that outfit survive until he has teenaged children, they never find them.

SpatzKat

New in Town
scotrace said:
Where can one find those super skinny leather belts?

I asked myself the same question for a long time. Then I remembered that I work with leather as a hobby, so why not do it myself? So I quit looking and started making my own. Just takes some playing around to get the dye colors right to match the shoes. I haven't paid for an off the rack belt for some time now.
Costs less than what a "good" belt goes for these days. Maybe you could ask a local cobbler to make one for you as well?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I have learned that the belt must always match the shoes or boots.

Secondly - and just as important - you allways use the middle hole in the belt. If you can't do that, you buy a shorter - or longer - belt.

johnny

New in Town
KILO NOVEMBER said:
Well, this guy was also wearing a belt with these, uh, pants, and the belt was threaded through the loops, buckle centered, and located (drum roll here) at mid-thigh!

I think really long suspenders would be a more practical approach for this look.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
I have learned that the belt must always match the shoes or boots.

Secondly - and just as important - you allways use the middle hole in the belt. If you can't do that, you buy a shorter - or longer - belt.

If those aren't hard and fast rules, by gumption they should be. :eusa_clap

IMHO, any accessories worn on the belt (cell phone pouch and the like) should coordinate as well. Life is too short to wear black with brown.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
I had this strange idear that we are talkin' bout belts - and shoes.;)
Indeed we were, but then these threads get side-tracked so often. At least the jacket I referred to is leather as are many belts. It could have been more :eek:fftopic: if I started talking about wool jackets as I have never heard of wool belts.

carebear

Note the context, I was talking about things/accessories worn on the belt (if that's necessary) matching the belt. Ex. black cell phone case on brown belt.

Not jackets.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Note the context, I was talking about things/accessories worn on the belt (if that's necessary) matching the belt. Ex. black cell phone case on brown belt.

Not jackets.
I just wondered whether the principal of not wearing black and brown together applied to jackets and trousers as well as to belts and accessor worn on it.

carebear

I believe it does.

But that isn't the topic of this thread... bandwidth is cheap, when changing subject, a new thread is in order.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I just wondered whether the principal of not wearing black and brown together applied to jackets and trousers as well as to belts and accessor worn on it.

I do not think so - I also often wear a brown leather jacket and black trousers, just like you. It looks great. And at least we are two. So it can't be all wrong :)

number6

Familiar Face
belt up

All I know is I would not feel dressed leaving the house not wearing a belt.
Nope ,just couldn't do it .

Gene

Practically Family
I got a skinny belt from mybabyjo.com, the black one.

mensbelt_lg.jpg

When I wear my high-waisted trousers, I generally wear it to the left, just off my hip on the pleat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy