Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public derision

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
dakotanorth said:
Maybe he shouldn't wear his hat if people don't like it. Then again, most people don't like books so many we should burn all of them. :rage: Then we can have a group of people walk the streets and harass others who "Just don't look right." Then we can take all these "Different" people and put them in a special part of town....

I've been laughed at in public- I mean LAUGHED OUT LOUD and POINTED at me. This was from guys wearing head-to-toe "Starter" wear, yet I looked ridiculous.

This stuff just infuriates me. People being "sucker mobbed" into comformity. The _true_ irony is, it always comes from people that are complete victims of pop culture, mass consumption, etc. It's like somehow, by rejecting their lifestyle, you criticize them. I believe the whole theory that "Anti-Intellectualism" has been growing.
This post struck a serious nerve with me....:mad:

It doesn't show...

Alan

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maybe it's just me, but I have never had anybody say anything derogatory regarding my clothes or hats.

I'm not sure how I would react if someone ever did, but it would probably be with indifference.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Alan, they are Homburphobic.

scotrace said:
Yes, but you are six foot twenty, and look like you could break a man in half for giggles. ;)

I just read Zohars post and thought "... six foot twelvty",
then read yours, Scott.
Mwuaha-hardy-har-bwaaaaaargh... kukuhk.

It's reverse-punk-
The punks are Us and the kids are the Dorks.

B
T

Alan Eardley said:
I assume you are referring to the man with the ridiculous moustache. In that case, I agree. I have said that I don't condone his reaction. The incident that caused his reaction was mild enough, but it was (according the the man himself) the culmination of a number of such incidents (read the article).

Now, let's get on to the Vicars' collars and my plain black Homburg. Are you suggesting that Vicars should expect to be attacked because they wear a clerical collar or that old men should have put up with derision on trains from youths in ridiculous headgear because they wear traditional hats? Do you expect us 'to deal with that' as a fact of life? Not my life, buddy.

Alan

As Edward previously stated we really don't have enough facts here but anyway.

What does culmination of events have to do with anything. Words alone cannot justify someone attacking another person.

I think that people often dress differently because they seek attention, therefore, there are costs and benefits for dressing differently. Sometimes you get the lime light other times you get besmirched.

Regarding the vicar collars and hats:
What is going on in England? Adults are at the mercy of the youth?
Obviously, you have to deal with it, and you can deal with it in many different ways. There is a thing called self defense. You could use that. If someone puts hands on you, you can reasonably retaliate.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
It is wrong that anyone gets laughed at for how they dress, but unless the ones laughing are actually threatening you, why not just ignore them?

You are dressing differently to the norm, and you all know how people will react to that. You aren't dressing that way unwittingly. In a perfect world you'd get no negative reactions at all. It's, unfortunately, not a perfect world.

I've never dressed like the majority of people I see on the street, and I don't particularly like the nasty comments, but if you respond to them then you are giving them what they want.

Like Edward said, the kind of people that laugh at other peoples clothes are the same kind who would laugh just for the sake of it. So they're best ignored.

The bloke in the article sounds like an idiot, with a short temper, but then I never believe anything the Daily Mail says lol

Son_of_Atropos said:
Regarding the vicar collars and hats:
What is going on in England? Adults are at the mercy of the youth?
We have some very paranoid media is all.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Alan Eardley said:
In the same week that the Church of England has advise its Vicars not to wear their clerical ('dog') collars in public because of they are said to provoke attacks from teenage 'yobs', here is an item about the similar treatment of moustaches from our daily news:

While I don't condone this man's actions in retaliating to such provocation, personally I'm sick of receiving abuse from young people just because I dress differently. An example? On a train last week my black Homburg hat was the subject of some thirty minutes of derision from two (obviously drunken) teenagers, one of whom was wearing a baseball cap (peak forwards) with a woollen 'jeep cap' on top of it (peak sideways). I 'kept my cool', but do we really have to put up with this sort of thing?

Alan

The answer to your question is: No!
Getting up without delay, very rapidly approaching your two "drunken Yobs", and open handed slapping the crap out of the most offensive one as hard as you can, and shouting as loudly as you can in his face, "{bartender edit - we don't permit such language here}??!", will concentrate his thought processes.

Turning on the other fast as you can, and either sticking your finger in his eye (prefered), or grabbing his windpipe and giving a little loving squeeze will get their attention in a more reasonable and molified manner.

Allowing abuse by anyone invites more abuse. NEVER NEVER reward negative behavior; and the rapid application of a necessary minimum of direct force can do wonders both for you, and certainly them.

Of course the UK being what it has become, that means that we will never hear of you again, as you are taken in to custody by the nanny brigade of PC/Multiculti politicians Police.lol lol

One needs to wear a button stating: Graduate of the Bernard Goetz school of Intrapersonal relationships.lol lol lol

Cobden

Practically Family
I've often had problems in the past; laregly on account of smoking a pipe, but also because of what I consider to be not particularly obvious "strange" clothes. The other day some early teenager decided to hum the Dr. Who theme tune as I was wearing a trench coat (!?); I merely turned to them and said "At least I'm not the one in a soaking wet school uniform". Other times I've faked portable 'phone calls to truant officers (this one works a treat - even though I don't believe such things exist in the UK!), one memorable occaision I was carrying a long case, when some youth shouted "Oi, what you got in there? A trombone" to which I was able to honestly reply "No, a rifle".
Another occaision, I saw some drunk youths with knives attacking a young woman for no reason. I called the police anonymously, claimed that there was attempted rape and that one had a gun (both of which could easily be counted as mistakes on the part of a witness). Nothing more satisfying then a load of yobbo's bricking themselves whilst surrounded by armed police.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Alan Eardley said:
I really must caution against any form of self defence using what may be construed as a weapon in the UK. I make sticks as a hobby and collect vintage ones. As a 'knobstick' was a traditional man's accessory and item of self protection in what I regard as 'The Golden Age' I sometimes carry a shilelagh or 'knobkerry', but I have no illusions that any attempt on my part to use it in self defence (even with what most of us would regard as extreme provocation) would result in prosecution (of me, not my tormentors).

In spite of Jack Straw's mouthings, self-defence is a no-no.

With the greatest possible respect,.....if self defence is a no-no in England, you seriously need to look into emigrating to the U.S (where such [Bartender edit - STOP POSTING FOUL LANGUAGE!] is NOT tolerated)or even Canada, or Australia.;)

Cobden

Practically Family
So, increasingly, are ours (thus our police target imitation weapon owners [huh] ).

I think Gideon Ashe is right; the antipodes look very inviting...

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
I dunno. Over here the "yobs and chavs" have guns.:eek:

Sorry Fellow,
I know what a "Yob" is.
I do NOT know what a "Chav" is.

I note that you reside in Florida, as do I.
Florida is a shall issue state, which means that unless you do not meet the minimal requirements, based on criminal record, mental impairment, or other proscription element of issuance, the State MUST issue you a license to carry & conceal a firearm.
That places you directly at equal odds with your Yobs & Chavs.

If you take a little time and more than a little effort, you become much more equal based on skill, training and mindset than the criminal opponents.
So that there is no thought otherwise, let it be known that there are no blazing gunfights in the streets here, or anywhere in any state.

That is not to say that there not the occasional confrontation, but more and more those of our "Yobs" with more than a room temp IQ, are eschewing picking on persons whom they do not know to be unarmed.
Florida has seen a marked decrease in personal assaults (35% at last toll)& other crimes since the implementation of Shall issue rules and it's attendant increase in regular citizens carrying weapons concealed. This is also true in EVERY other shall issue state (43 states I think-Diamondback probably has the stats somewhere)

Where the government supports a stated policy of allowing the common citizen to be as stalked sheep, by a predator class, and allows the predators to rule unimpeded in the perverted thoughts of political correctness and multicultuerism the situation will worsen until anarchy causes the total disolution of the nation.
A government that cannot or will not protect it's citizens is not a government and has no reason to exist.

Just my couple of centavos.;)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
It didn't mean the U.S.A. I meant the U.K. I just read the first post and replied, I didn't read all the rest.

I got what you meant. What I was saying is that over there, the kids fight with sticks, and over here, they have guns.

Gideon, I didn't know what a "chav" was, until I looked up what a "yob" was. It is a UK slang term for a young, thuggish type.

Story

I'll Lock Up
panamag8or said:
I got what you meant. What I was saying is that over there, the kids fight with sticks, and over here, they have guns..

Despite the UK's gun control efforts, the criminals old and young have firearms in the UK. Goes with their choice of lifestyle, ya know?

Don't believe me? Let's check with the folks that should know -

Despite these figures, the number of overall offences involving firearms has been increasing each year since 1997/98. And crime involving imitation weapons was up 55% in 2004-05 compared to the previous year. (Source: Crime in England and Wales 2004/2005)

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-victims/reducing-crime/gun-crime/

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I know someone who has a smallish handlebar moustache, and I highly doubt he has ever had anyone say anything negative to him about it. He just isn't the sort of person you disrespect, because has this intimidating air about him. He is in his 60s, and stooped, but he doesn't take any bs, and he doesn't get any bs. No one ever comments on my quirks either, so I've always fancied myself as being intimidating. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran