Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK anti-vintage rules (well, kinda)

S

Samsa

ShortClara said:
So, women's dress in Islam has nothing to do with shielding them from the eyes of men not their relatives? Please, I'd like to understand. I'm not being sarcastic; I had heard / read that this is a partial reason for burkas, hajibs, etc.

From my limited knowledge of Islam, this view (women's covering for the sake of the men not being tempted by lust) is not intrinsic to Islam, but rather to separate schools/ideologies. I want to say that it's particularly strong among the Wahhabi folk, but I could be wrong.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's sexism. "We'll make a rule, because we know what's best. If they're choosing to wear fishnets, it's because their pretty little heads don't know that the men are trying to work."

carebear

Samsa said:
From my limited knowledge of Islam, this view (women's covering for the sake of the men not being tempted by lust) is not intrinsic to Islam, but rather to separate schools/ideologies. I want to say that it's particularly strong among the Wahhabi folk, but I could be wrong.

This is correct. Modesty in dress is required, as it is in Judaism and Christianity, but the burqua is not specified.

Much of the truly misogynistic stuff you see is traditional tribal practice from the millennia prior to Islam. The animists in Africa practice female mutilation and poorer women in India are still expected to immolate themselves. It's tribal, not exclusively religious.

That's the basis of the cultural conflict we find ourselves in. Islam just happens to cover a lot of regions still stuck at a cultural tribal level.

But, as this article shows, even us "enlightened" Westerners still have some issues to deal with.

Still, the consequences for violation are a lot more palatable in London than they are in, say, Saudi.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Ah, that fashion item - The Burka. Never has so much fabric said so little. Handcuffs and shackles would add so much to that outfit I feel. And it would keep those London lawyers at bay.

......Off for my Burkini fitting,

:p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
ShortClara said:
So, women's dress in Islam has nothing to do with shielding them from the eyes of men not their relatives? Please, I'd like to understand. I'm not being sarcastic; I had heard / read that this is a partial reason for burkas, hajibs, etc.

ShortClara said:
Hmmm. Aren't women in Afghanistan covered head to toe in sacks so as to not tempt the men?

I know that they don't wear sacks.
At least not usually while they're living.

B
T

jayem

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:
Hmmm. Aren't women in Afghanistan covered head to toe in sacks so as to not tempt the men? If I were a female at that firm, I'd sue. To list the reason as "to not distract the men" is misogyny, pure and simple.

I somewhat second this. Listing it as a simple means of unprofessional dress-code would be better than the poor excuse of 'distracting'.
Personally, I'd be a little uneasy if my lawyer decided to represent me while sporting a pair of fishnets.

Salv

One Too Many
carebear said:
The simple solution would seem to be to keep the lawyers away from the typing pool.

Yep, you'd think those male typists would know better than to be distracted by female lawyers in fishnets...

CassD

One of the Regulars
I do agree that fishnets have a rather unprofessional look about them because, although they're not really linked to prostitution in my mind, they are linked to party attire. It's what you wear when you're going out on the town and want to be a bit daring or a bit more sexy. Wearing them to work is unprofessional. However, I also agree with the folks who have said that using this idea that they "distract the male lawyers" as a reason for banning is just flat out sexist. It insults both sides, in my opinion. It places the responsibility to appear totally unattractive to men on the woman and blames them for a man's roving eye and it assumes that all men only think with a certain part of their body. I would like to think that most of the men I have met have the ability to focus on other things than a woman's legs when it's necessary and important to do so.

Johnny B

Familiar Face
It's the Daily Mail- I doubt it's true at all. They make these up to fill space, like the "guy" who "lost" his engagement ring when it "floated away" in a balloon.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
I didn't realise it was the Hate... sort of the UK version of Die Sturm... nothing Reichstagfuhrer Brown won't be able to sort... once they stop leting those filthy foreigners in... :rolleyes:

Jovan

Suspended
CassD: It's funny you say that, because back in the '60s it was unthinkable to have women running around with their legs exposed in a professional environment, perhaps partly BECAUSE the men would be distracted. Star Trek was interesting in this respect, because not only were most of the women wear fashionable (at the time) minidress uniforms, the men didn't really notice their legs -- they saw the women as their equals and were always professional. Poor Yeoman Rand had to ASK Kirk to look at her legs when they all had a disease because he wouldn't notice them any other way. "I always tried to get you to look at my legs..." Has that already happened? Heck yes. You don't even bat an eye at women in short skirts nowadays. [huh]

Anyways, if all men got distracted by fishnets, isn't this a good thing in court? lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
How ridiculous. All that shows is how detached from reality these big cheeses have got. I work in a very heavily lawyer and banker populated part of London and see well-dressed women in fishnets all the time. They only carry a negative connotation for a very small and old-fashioned minority. The same, no doubt male, people probably think women still shouldn't *be* lawyers. :rolleyes:

dani

Familiar Face
well to say that the fishnets are distracting the men, is a stupid excuse, because you can be just as easily distracted by a woman how is dressed in a "boring" suit that has a beautiful face, and you wouldn't tell a lady not to look beautiful because she is distracting her male co-workers. as for the islam thing, i think it's different for different people, a boy i used to work with is islamic, and his mother didn't wear a "sack" she only covered her hair.

carebear

Miss Crisplock said:
Ah, that fashion item - The Burka. Never has so much fabric said so little. Handcuffs and shackles would add so much to that outfit I feel. And it would keep those London lawyers at bay.

......Off for my Burkini fitting,

:p

You don't need handcuffs and shackles. :rolleyes:

Just one shackle, to attach the chain.

You know, the chain anchored to the stove. ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Fleur De Guerre said:
How ridiculous. All that shows is how detached from reality these big cheeses have got. I work in a very heavily lawyer and banker populated part of London and see well-dressed women in fishnets all the time. They only carry a negative connotation for a very small and old-fashioned minority. The same, no doubt male, people probably think women still shouldn't *be* lawyers. :rolleyes:
:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn