Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Working On Today?

RickP

One of the Regulars
I’ve been working on my brim binding and I’m now at the stage where it’s consistently good. I can’t get good quality grosgrain here in the UK so use Petersham instead.
Nice stitching! are you doing by hand or machine? Brim binding / sewing is my next big learning experience. I just figured out how to use a smaller needle on my cylinder arm leather machine to sew in leather sweatbands...I felt like I owned the world when I finished the first one! lol

BigHat

New in Town
Nice stitching! are you doing by hand or machine? Brim binding / sewing is my next big learning experience. I just figured out how to use a smaller needle on my cylinder arm leather machine to sew in leather sweatbands...I felt like I owned the world when I finished the first one! lol
Hi Rick. I used a sewing machine which has a start/stop button. It allows me to stitch at a very slow speed so I can concentrate on following the binding edge accurately. Yes it’s a great feeling when you nail another part of the hat making process.

RickP

One of the Regulars
Reworked free-to-me Stetson "Gus". Reblocked to get rid of the front crease and trimmed a full inch off the brim (now 3"). Seriously thinking of reducing the brim just a bit more. The panama band is temporary, but its growing on me

View attachment 610680
View attachment 610679
Wore it around today and it still looked just a bit big...Got home and took another 1/2" off brim... now 2 1/2"... Im just NOT a cowboy lol
Compress_20240501_170353_3682.jpg
Compress_20240501_170353_3978.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
new blazer & trousers 003.JPG

This made to measure blazer just needed the right hat to compliment it. Various colours sort of suited it but nothing gave it a lift. "Go red," Tina advised. I found the perfect red, only it was a trilby and being used to the fedora brim, I couldn't quite fall in love with it, even though it had quite a broad brim for a trilby.

"Give your hat people a call," Tina suggested. I was trying to watch the budget, but I know that bespoke is my best bet. The lady was right, of course.

Red Fedora 002.JPG Red Fedora 004.JPG

Blazers 27 11 2023 017.JPG

The colour variation that you see is just the difference between a 35mm camera and a phone camera.

"What shall I do with the trilby?" I said, more out loud than directly to Tina. Adding, I could give it to that fellow at church." "Don't you dare," retorted the lady. "I know someone very close who could give that a good home."

The clever girl meant herself of course, here's what she did.

Tina's (new) red hat 001.JPG Tina's (new) red hat 004.JPG Tina's (new) red hat 006.JPG

I told you that she was a clever girl. Do you want to see the result?

Tina's (new) red hat 011.JPG

RickP

One of the Regulars
Had a nice Akubra Stockman that was a size too small, and a little too cowboyish. The pic with the braided band is the before picture. Did some reshaping, stretching (so now it fits closer to the ears) and replaced the western braided horsehair band with a ribbon. Still have some tinkering and tweaking to do but I think its feels and looks a bit better (at least in my opinion)
Compress_20240527_145000_0644.jpg
Compress_20240527_144251_1664.jpg
Compress_20240527_144251_1317.jpg
Compress_20240527_144801_1951.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
ITS STARTED! Day One of the conversion project. One cowboy hat on its way to being more of a city hat.

Started as a $26 4x Stetson 4" brim, 5 1/4" crown cowboy hat. Liner and sweat are in really nice shape. No tag inside so Im not really sure what model it started life as. Im guessing 1980's or 90's. Does have a union label on the back of the size tag.

I trimmed off some of the "cowboy" (took a full inch off the brim). Wore a bunch of bristles off my horsehair brush and got a bunch of dust removed. Taking it slow, so right now its now sitting at a 3" brim with just a little experimental steaming and shaping. Want to shape with a bit flatter brim side and do away with the little wings that want to stand up on the sides. BUT... I may go with a modest snap brim. Already looks way better. Looking more Open Road/ fedora-ish, and less Cowboy Bob. (No offense to Mr Bob)

The felt hatband is going away (Its an actual JBS buckle set so Ill try to recycle the hardware over to a nicer tooled leather band) and Im trying to decide on what size ribbon to replace it with. (maybe a 1-1/4 to 1- 1/2" ribbon and Bow, or a narrower Open Road size ribbon) Also thinking doing a bound brim would be nice... If I go narrow ribbon, Ill go narrow binding, (and MAY trim another 1/8" off the brim)or if I choose to go with a wider ribbon Ill prob do a wider "Whippet" size binding.

Its going to get a white gas bath soon to clean a few spots, so until thats done, Ive got some time to think about ribbon / binding size, and whether to leave brim as- is or trim just a hair more off. I already have a 2 7/8 brim Open Road, so im thinking I may opt for the slightly wider brim. (Most of my hats are 2-1/2 to 2-7/8 brims) Its got a bit of a tan hue so it wont be directly competing with the silver bellies on the wall lol. Ill REALLY try to decide exactly what I want before I start sewing thing on.

Im just hoping I can stay on track and finish this one before I start on the cheaper hat thats due in here soon ( An 80's $25 brown 3x Stetson with what looks like an ever so slightly lower crown.) Shiny things catch my eye and I get distracted easily so If I get two projects going at once I wont see my dining table again for a month.

I got the pics out of order, but I trust you fine gentle persons will figure out which is the "before" photo

Compress_20240603_112736_6558.jpg
Compress_20240603_112736_6834.jpg

Compress_20240603_143259_9241.jpg
Compress_20240603_143420_0514.jpg
Compress_20240603_112736_6245.jpg
Compress_20240603_143420_0947.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
Actually made a decision... Decided that I have enough hats with a swooping outback looking brim, so I went ahead and flanged it up for a moderate snap brim. Was lucky to have one flange big enough for a 3" brim. Did decide I DO actually like the 3" brim.... got enough shorter ones on the wall. Thats a good stopping point for the first day. Will see what the weather ( and the mosquito population) does in the morning. See if Im going to sit outside for a couple hours for some gas sloshing and cleaning tomorrow... then maybe some reblocking wednesday... Calling it progress
Compress_20240603_200308_8817.jpg
Compress_20240603_195908_8753.jpg

ITS STARTED! Day One of the conversion project. One cowboy hat on its way to being more of a city hat.

Started as a $26 4x Stetson 4" brim, 5 1/4" crown cowboy hat. Liner and sweat are in really nice shape. No tag inside so Im not really sure what model it started life as. Im guessing 1980's or 90's. Does have a union label on the back of the size tag.

I trimmed off some of the "cowboy" (took a full inch off the brim). Wore a bunch of bristles off my horsehair brush and got a bunch of dust removed. Taking it slow, so right now its now sitting at a 3" brim with just a little experimental steaming and shaping. Want to shape with a bit flatter brim side and do away with the little wings that want to stand up on the sides. BUT... I may go with a modest snap brim. Already looks way better. Looking more Open Road/ fedora-ish, and less Cowboy Bob. (No offense to Mr Bob)

The felt hatband is going away (Its an actual JBS buckle set so Ill try to recycle the hardware over to a nicer tooled leather band) and Im trying to decide on what size ribbon to replace it with. (maybe a 1-1/4 to 1- 1/2" ribbon and Bow, or a narrower Open Road size ribbon) Also thinking doing a bound brim would be nice... If I go narrow ribbon, Ill go narrow binding, (and MAY trim another 1/8" off the brim)or if I choose to go with a wider ribbon Ill prob do a wider "Whippet" size binding.

Its going to get a white gas bath soon to clean a few spots, so until thats done, Ive got some time to think about ribbon / binding size, and whether to leave brim as- is or trim just a hair more off. I already have a 2 7/8 brim Open Road, so im thinking I may opt for the slightly wider brim. (Most of my hats are 2-1/2 to 2-7/8 brims) Its got a bit of a tan hue so it wont be directly competing with the silver bellies on the wall lol. Ill REALLY try to decide exactly what I want before I start sewing thing on.

Im just hoping I can stay on track and finish this one before I start on the cheaper hat thats due in here soon ( An 80's $25 brown 3x Stetson with what looks like an ever so slightly lower crown.) Shiny things catch my eye and I get distracted easily so If I get two projects going at once I wont see my dining table again for a month.

I got the pics out of order, but I trust you fine gentle persons will figure out which is the "before" photo

View attachment 618650 View attachment 618651

View attachment 618633 View attachment 618634 View attachment 618635 View attachment 618636
Looks great so far!

Reactions: RBH

RickP

One of the Regulars
Day two of the conversion. Got some steaming, blocking and smoothing done. Whacked it with the cleaning sponge and horsehair brush... it actually cleaned up pretty decently. May actually NOT need a gas bath. Somewhere Ive got a box with a couple more colors of 1 1/2" ribbon, and a few rolls of 1" (key word is SOMEWHERE... havent found it yet) For now heres silverbelly, black, kacki, taupe, and grey ribbon. If i can find my other box, I know I have some brown, Peweter, and a medium silver grey. Would really like to look at a silverbelly color ribbon, but evidently NO-ONE has anything wider than 1/2". Feel free to chime and and offer thoughts.

At this point, I think Ill leave it at a 3" brim, and bind the edge with a wider Whippet sized ribbon. Im really liking the Silverbelly, but Im either stuck with the skinny 3/8" ribbon, or I need to make a new friend that I can talk out of some 1-1/4 or 1- 1/2 silverbelly grosgrain lol.. Edgebinding will match the ribbon

Compress_20240604_104153_3189.jpg
Compress_20240604_104153_3824.jpg
Compress_20240604_104153_3189.jpg
Compress_20240604_104152_2906.jpg
Compress_20240604_105858_8025.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
Agreed—those wider ribbons look beautiful. I especially like the gold.
Sooo many choices lol,, I do like the wider, lower contrast ribbon colors. Still trying to figure out where I put the other box of ribbons... It had 4 or 5 different colors with 1-1/2", 3/8", and 5/8" matching ribbon

RickP

One of the Regulars
Day 3 of the conversion... I decided 3" brim was just a hair much, so this morning I trimmed it down to 2-3/4" Think thats going to be the final size. Have some thunderstorms moving through here this morning, so we may just call this an inside day and keep the hats dry. Time to do a little brim edge sanding and wait for the power to go out lol. Now just need to find that missing box of ribbon so I can get rolling on the binding and band!

Compress_20240605_070014_4575.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
FINALLY found and ordered some older SIlverbelly 6 and ligne grosgrain...RIbbon wasnt too expensive, but DANG cheapest shipping was $22 lol.. Oh well FInally silverbelly in something bigger than 3/8"

RickP

One of the Regulars
AND I DID FIND SOME OF THE OTHER RIBBON! A 1 1/2" Pewter, and a 7/8" in Black, Silverbelly, and Khaki.... Humm the choices are NOT getting easier. Think Im still leaning toward the wider ribbon... I do really like the khacki and silverbelly. Will have to see what the wider silverbelly looks like when it gets here. Whatever I decide on, Ill be adding a matching 5/8" edge binding.

Compress_20240605_105948_8188.jpg
Compress_20240605_105947_7818.jpg
Compress_20240605_105948_8648.jpg
Compress_20240605_105947_7478.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
FINALLY found and ordered some older SIlverbelly 6 and ligne grosgrain...RIbbon wasnt too expensive, but DANG cheapest shipping was $22 lol.. Oh well FInally silverbelly in something bigger than 3/8"
Woo hoo! I take back the grumble about expensive ribbon shipping... just got an email that the seller just refunded $16 of shipping... Thats much better

RickP

One of the Regulars
I wish I had a three sided coin... It would simplify the decision... I like the Khaki, Silverbelly AND the Pewter equally

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw