Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pugaree or Pleated Hatband Pattern

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike K. said:
>Here is one "how to" from a different hat thread.
Apply the same technique to a fedora as to a helmet.<
puggaree.jpg

Very helpful, thank you.

Fedora64 said:
Vaya con Dios mi amigo lol

Buh-Bye :rolleyes:

byronic

One of the Regulars
But how much and how wide?

I found this thread very helpful, and thank you to all who contributed as I want to give my Sunbody a safari style. But, as the title asks, how much material would I need and what would be the recommended width of the material? Also, due to the overlapping, would a very thin material be best?

tnitz

New in Town
Puggaree

I didn't save links and can't now advise on exact sites, but I know that I found some patterns online when looking at "Australian Military Slouches" In the end I bought a vintage WWII one for my slouch.

When I bought my first Panama, the haberdasher had a shoebox full of premade puggaree with hooks, in all different colors and patterns. They were of cotton on the bias with ironed seams and were INEXPENSIVE! They were essentially the same thing as you would get on a current Akubra Military Slouch as factory issued.

Just last week I saw a listing on a large online auction site for someone selling them inexpensively in a range of colors. For the use you are describing, I would pay the money - it's alot of exacting work for very little change in appearance. But that's just my opinion.

Someday I hope to make on in light muslin such as older ones I've seen.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I saw, a few months ago, someone posting a source for pugs. I've done a search, but can't find any place to buy the right material for a pug. Seeing Bogart's "Sahara" tonight, one of the men was wearing a safari-looking hat with a pug. Now I'd like to put a pug on my Banjo Patterson, if someone can steer me to a good source for getting one.

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
You could always make your own. It's easier than you think. I did with the help of that illustration above. I folded a pug on my pith helmet and liked it so much I did it to my Akubra Slouch too (I'll post a pic of that later.)

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Up close

The yellow is for my old cavalry days.

Neither ribbon is anchored down on this one. Its just held on by tension. The pith has a couple of stitches in the back. I didn't leave myself enough ribbon. I found the ribbon at hobby lobby. Give it a whirl. Its easier than you think.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Well, my pugs still haven't arrived in the mail yet, but I noticed that one of my Panamas had a nice black pug yesterday, so I took it off and put it onto my Banjo Patterson. I should have done this a long time ago!

IMG_1330.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails