Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Alpha Jackets?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm considering the purchase of a G-1 leather jacket made by a company known as "Alpha." It seems to be a relatively cheap option out there.

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.php?productid=378702&cat=0&page=152

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to leather jackets. I have never actually owned one, beside a particular ill-fitting one that was given to me in the past couple of years, but that's another story. Does anyone have any experience with this company and the quality of their jackets? I would like to know something, before I spend $230 dollars on something that may not be very durable. I'm aware that there are much better quality G-1s out there, but I am shopping on a budget, in this case at or about the $200 to $250 dollar price range.

It doesn't appear to state the quality of the leather on the shop linked above, but on the Alpha website it says that it is goatskin.

http://www.alphajacketsonline.com/proddetail.php?prod=MLG21110C1

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alpha's nylon jackets (MA-1, B-15, etc.) are good - not super-outstanding "repro" quality, but decently made, very functional garments. I have no experience with their leathers... which I suspect that they don't make themselves, but just slap their label onto.

Their G-1 is probably very similar to those of US Wings, Legendary USA, Cockpit, Gibson & Barnes, etc. All are well-made, tough jackets: goatskin G-1s are pretty standard items, and many can be found in the under-$250 range. For a better fit, I would look for one in 38-40-42 sizing rather than S-M-L.

Oh, and don't forget eBay - you can likely get a lightly used G-1 (perhaps even an issued milspec one) for less $.

(Okay, it's not standard goatskin, but US Wings NZ lambskin version sounds like a good deal at $195 - see http://www.uswings.com/g-1.asp In fact, if you're in a part of CA that doesn't get cold, lambskin may be a more comfortable choice than goatskin.)

JanSolo

Practically Family
That Alpha Industries G1 can't be too bad. It even has a genuine mouton collar. Although I would really save for a Gibson&Barnes. It's the best manufacturer of current issue G1 jackets in my opinion. If you are not willing to spend a premium amount on a WWII repro from Aero, Lost Worlds or Goodwear this is the way to go. Had one of G&B G1s a couple of years ago and the quality of the goatskin was very impressive as was the quality of workmanship. It currently sells at 358 $ but they can be had for less from their clearance page. The extra 100 dollars really pay off!!!

green papaya

One Too Many
these are cut a little fuller than original military issue, the sleeves & body will be cut fuller than military issue.

they are well made, decent jackets though

hourrecord

New in Town
Alpha jackets

Alpha is a good choice for nylon, nomex ( no real need for that, unless you like playing in fire), I have had the leather version of the CWU-45p flight jacket. Here is the skinny on that, the leather is good quality, not great. The stitch count per inch (which is a good indicator of sewing quality)was around 5 to 6 stitches per inch, 9 and above is preferable. I noticed the arms were too short even for an XL size, I normally wear a large. I have not had experience with the G-1 version. I do know they are imported however. I would try ebay for an original G-1. Most importantly you want to look really good and feel you got a quality garment. Know your chest size for a jacket and then search out a G-1 that was contract made 1968 or 69' or earlier, patience is key here. Research the internet for G-1's that are being displayed in collections,.. you can find a pantload of information on those sites. Best quality I think are the Cagleco, Werber, Ralph Edwards, L.W. Foster and Star brands. G-1's will fit snug in the military spec. tradition. Newer MFG's such as U.S. Wings and Flightjackets offer fuller cut jackets as well. Of course, all of this is preference driven on what you want.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sporty's doesn't make their own jackets. These are probably from the same NJ factory as US Wings, Legendary USA, American Mystique, probably Alpha, and perhaps Cockpit. Apart from the tags and the prices, you'll find very little difference in any of the current-spec $250-$350-range military style leather jackets from many different US vendors. The specs are the same, the materials are the same, the workmanship is the same, the fit is the same... sometimes even the website photos are the same!

(Certainly, there are American makers who make their own, like Schott, Excelled, San Diego Leather, Gibson & Barnes, Vanson, Taylor's, US Authentic, Good Wear. But a lot of very visible brands in the low/middle range seem to be exactly the same.)

So don't get hung up the vendor label - go with whoever has the best prices at the moment...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering if anyone has a picture of their own Alpha leather jackets, especially also the G1 if possible? I would appreciate it. I have seen maybe two or three variations of the photos offered by the websites selling Alpha G1s, and in all the photos they look slightly different in color. Now I'm wondering what it would look like on somebody.

tiedomi

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
Sporty's doesn't make their own jackets. These are probably from the same NJ factory as US Wings, Legendary USA, American Mystique, probably Alpha, and perhaps Cockpit. Apart from the tags and the prices, you'll find very little difference in any of the current-spec $250-$350-range military style leather jackets from many different US vendors. The specs are the same, the materials are the same, the workmanship is the same, the fit is the same... sometimes even the website photos are the same!

(Certainly, there are American makers who make their own, like Schott, Excelled, San Diego Leather, Gibson & Barnes, Vanson, Taylor's, US Authentic, Good Wear. But a lot of very visible brands in the low/middle range seem to be exactly the same.)

So don't get hung up the vendor label - go with whoever has the best prices at the moment...

Hello,
As far as I know, the Legendary and Cockpit (I think Cockpit) jackets, are made at the Schott factory in Elizabeth, NJ, up the road from where I live. The other companies you mentioned might have their jackets made there, too. The Schotts have a factory sale in December every year and you see the other brands there, sometimes for sale as irregulars, or whatever. For years the Schotts had the Dec. sale at their former Perth Amboy, NJ factory, and it's nice that they've kept up the tradition.

Fifty150

One Too Many

Here in California, Golden Bear Sportswear in San Francisco makes their own leather jackets. I can tell you that I've owned several over the years, and can't be more pleased with them. I would recommend them to family & friends.

Corky

Practically Family
Since you live in California, there is no reason to roll the dice with a mail order jacket.

Look at the Classifieds on any typical day and you will see the results of not going into a shop and actually trying on a jacket.

If you check out the pilot's shop at your local small airport, you might find a selection of the cheaper flight jackets.

Why not schedule a drive to San Diego and check out the offerings from San Diego Leather and Gibson & Barnes? You might be surprised to learn that that one leather feels better to your touch or that you take one size in one type of jacket and and a different size in another. Or you might be looking for for one style and find yourself seduced by another.

Corky, G&B is in San Diego? I did not know that, and I think I will go have a look. I was going to take my son to one of the air museums there, so thar would be perfect. I'm really dying to get a jacket made, and I want Aero, but that lead time is something I would have trouble dealing with. I'm so not a patient fellow!
Thanks for the info!

Fifty150

One Too Many
I don't need to go to San Diego. Here in SF, we have Johnson Leather & Golden Bear. In San Jose, we have Just Leather. All 3 shops offer quality goods.

But back on topic. Alpha jackets have worked for me in the past. I was happy with them. Have they gone downhill?

Tigerprawn

New in Town
I'd like to know about the current quality and sizing as well...

I'm thinking about picking up a nylon MA-1 or a B-15, but have heard they run big, but Alpha states to size up 1 size. So I'm a little confused on sizing at this point.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Alpha jackets tend to have a uniform fit. Which means that they are exact, and tapered. Men in the service, or in shape, have larger chest and shoulders, than they do waistlines. Fits me pretty good. But for a modern fit and feel, or if you plan on layering underneath, you may want to go up in size. But the best thing to do is try them on. The surplus stores and little boutiques in The Haight usually carry Alpha.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I'd like to know about the current quality and sizing as well...

I'm thinking about picking up a nylon MA-1 or a B-15, but have heard they run big, but Alpha states to size up 1 size. So I'm a little confused on sizing at this point.

I have a couple of issued MA-1 jackets, and they fit fine over a shirt and a little snug with a sweater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24