Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Teach, I picked up the same set of Bulows through Amazon. They're good pens, but the Sheaffer has spoiled me. The Bulows are heavier and fatter than the Sheaffers, and are unbalanced when the caps are posted.

On the other hand, I don't mind leaving them at the office and they look good at my desk. My pens can't be mistaken for someone else's pens, either. I'm just hoping to score some fine-point nibs for them so they're a bit more practical for taking notes. The current nibs require me to write larger than I prefer, and end up using more paper.

The Sheaffers are rather plain, but they write effortlessly. Max let me know that the Snorkels don't hold as much ink as others, so I'm waiting to find out how often I'll have to re-fill them.

Teach, I picked up the same set of Bulows through Amazon. They're good pens, but the Sheaffer has spoiled me. The Bulows are heavier and fatter than the Sheaffers, and are unbalanced when the caps are posted.

I never post the caps. Is that just me?

My favorite everyday pen is a Visconti Rembrandt with a fine nib. It is the smoothest pen I've ever used.

wquiles

Familiar Face
I never post the caps. Is that just me?

I very rarely do. Most always it negatively affects the balance/feel for me. My current "fancy" pen is a Waterman Carene (actually I have two - one that stays in my home office and one that travels and it is used at my work office), which is wide and relatively heavy, and (to me) it fits/feels perfect when I write with it without the cap. I am totally spoiled and a lighter weight pen now feels "wrong".

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Say Max, can you replace nibs on pens? I have a beautiful mystery pen made from 2 tone ebony that has the worst nib on it in 4 states.

Deacon, generally I can replace nibs, however I do not have any spares on hand at the moment. If you provide the nib I certainly can swap them out.

-Max

wquiles

Familiar Face
Not a fountain pen, but here is my Carene that I mentioned earlier that I use at home with the MB Fineliner:
20140226_125228.jpg

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Bexley Pens. I bought a new one yesterday in part because my Mont Blanc has never performed well and in part because the Bexley fountains pens are made in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio. I've been using it continuously since and like it so far. Any opinions?

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Bexley Pens. I bought a new one yesterday in part because my Mont Blanc has never performed well and in part because the Bexley fountains pens are made in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio. I've been using it continuously since and like it so far. Any opinions?

They certainly do look nice, very classic late 1920s-early 30s look. I have never written with one unfortunately. Let us know your review of it, including their filling system (cartridge/converter?).

-Max

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
First, let me say that I am at the early learning stage with regard to fountain pens. I've been browsing various forums to learn so I am just the at the beginner level. With that disclaimer, I would say that I like the Bexley Elegancia very much. Up to now my only experience has been with a troublesome Mont Blanc that has never had a good flow of ink despite having been repaired by Mont Blanc. I've been growing interested in fountain pens, in part because of this forum, and identified Bexley as a local product which appeals to me. (I like to buy items made in this country; e.g., I wear a Shinola watch because it was assembled in Detroit--love the watch, too.)

I'm not expert enough to give a sophisticated review but the pen's barrel is blue with black streaks. It is quite light weight. The nib is a medium and made of steel--it is a German product. The ink is drawn into a piston cartridge. I'm using Private Reserve Ink upon the recommendation of the Vintage Pen store here in Columbus. So far (two weeks use), the ink flows easily. No leaks or problems of any sort. It is a pleasure to write with.

I also bought a Laban for my wife which was very reasonably priced (retail $120) for the quality of the instrument. It works beautifully. I've not seen much comment on forums, though, about that brand. The comment I 've seen about Bexley is favorable.

I've learned that there is a 5 day pen show in Columbus annually in November. With this new interest, I'm really looking forward to it.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
I have been following this thread and all of you have inspired me try a fountain pen. I am following a Sheaffer Balance White Dot, its supposed to be from the 30's era. I think its a very handsome pen. Do any of you know anything about this particular pen?

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
well the balance white dot got expensive really fast so I started following a Sheaffer fine line balance from the forties. Long story short, I won this one. It looks like its a lever filler. Its supposed to have been cleaned, polished, and tested. I will let you know.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
My vintage pens have all run well with Shaeffer's, Parker and Waterman inks. Some of the newer makers' inks seem to cause older pens to be fussy occasionally

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
I'm really enjoying the Bexley pens I've purchased (which are cartridge/coverter, not piston as I mistakenly posed earlier). So far I've acquired an Elegancia in blue, a Home Town--Columbus, a Columbus Pen Show 2013, and, an Owners Club 2014 in red. All write smoothly and reliably. I'm using Private Reserve inks (Naples Blue, Ebony Blue, Midnight Blue and Tropical Blue) on the recommendation of the local vintage pen store owner who has all colors in stock. Just using a fountain pen on a daily basis has made writing, note-taking, even underlining reading material fun again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner