Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: converting man's Pendleton shirt to mock 49er

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Do you think this will work, or will it be a waste of time and of a shirt?

I have no budget at all for new clothes, so I've been rummaging through my closet seeing what I can re-purpose.
I have this shirt, a recently purchased Pendleton plaid jack shirt - probably from the outlet since the plaid does not match from back to front.

IMG_20130620_163823.jpg

Anyway, I plan to lop off the bottom where the tape measure is, hem it at high hip length (the best length for me), and use the lopped off bits for the missing patch pockets. I'll remove the two chest pockets (or at least the flaps) and wool is forgiving so I should be able to steam the 'evidence' away. Then a couple of shaping darts in the back and I should be done.
I might try enlarging the button holes to take larger buttons, but I'll practice on the cut-off buttonhole first.
The shirt is plenty big enough to wear over another shirt (I have to get huge sizes in men's to fit over my hips, and to fit my long arms and wide shoulders.)

Just in time for summer's heat wave. Well.
What do you think?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Since the collar will remain as is, the final product will look more like a wool Guayabera than a 49er. Not saying that's a bad thing....

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Yes. the collar will bother me, but I think I'll make a good try anyway and def. enlarge the buttonholes and use larger buttons, moving it away from the man's shirt look.
I do have a lovely piece of large scale blue Pendleton plaid wool, but there is not enough of it to make a jacket for me. I'm hoping I can get a simple skirt out of it instead.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As long as the darts are not too severe, it should work. If the darts take in too much, it will cause weird lumping in the shoulders, if the shoulders are too big and don't fit in proportion to the waist. :)

I'd try it. If you mess it up too badly you can use it for a dog or cat bed. Or a scarf.

ETA: You could probably use the extra fabric to change the collar. Or at least make it a v-neck that is collarless, which might make it have more of a 49er feel.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
I might also take a tiny bit out of the sideseams at the waist.
I'll have to see how much material I can salvage from the trimming. I could save an inch by facing the hem instead of simply turning it under.
The upper pockets are too small to serve as the lower ones so I'd have to get both pocket material and collar-mod material out of the former shirttails. Hm.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I might also take a tiny bit out of the sideseams at the waist.
I'll have to see how much material I can salvage from the trimming. I could save an inch by facing the hem instead of simply turning it under.
The upper pockets are too small to serve as the lower ones so I'd have to get both pocket material and collar-mod material out of the former shirttails. Hm.

Could you do a contrasting pocket? Or a pieced collar that has the shape of a 49er, but looks pieced like a quilt from the pockets and shirttail? Or a pieced pocket- so take the old pockets off, and simply enlarge them using strips of fabric around three or four sides?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn