Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for why you're here?

And me another, Ms. Elaina, I'd say you're one of the quirky personalities that's made the Lounge such an interesting place to this old rattler. As I've told others:
"Illegitimi non carborundum."--Origin unknown, popularized by talk-jock Michael Savage (I don't like the guy much, but I can never forget the nuts and bolts of a good quote.)

Anyone can go where they're popular and leave places where they're not. I've always believed it to be far more challenging and equally more rewarding to stake out one's own territory, claim it and hold their ground come what may...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Dear Elaina, I think we all knows that feeling of being ignored here. It happens to all of us - maybe not even by purpose.
Now and again we all post something which we think is very important, funny, interesting....and what happens? Nothing!
But that does not mean you have to be part of some "innercircle" or that you have to brownnose you way through the lounge either.
I came here because I needed info on some flyinggear - got a great help from a lot of people, I have never met or even talked to before. And now I stay because I've found some very good friends here, because there is a nice and relaxed atmosphere. And because I still - in my age :eek: - can learn something new.
I am truely sorry about your cat - but I never saw that post. As many of the others propably didn't do either. It happens all the time - even to interesting, heartfelt personal posts. And it is nothing personal - only too many posts.

Please stay - your posts are among my favourit reads.:)

Flora

Familiar Face
You know what? I now have a reason for why I'm going to probably be staying on this site for a long time to come (as if I didn't already, hahah):
I may be just a teenager, but I found the conversations I've had with some adults here have been very good, and I've enjoyed debating with and even confusing a lot of you through ways of PM haha. In real life, to be quite frank, I don't really get this opportunity. I've always felt like an old soul inside because there are things that people my age care about, but I've never quite cared about. I also love reading what you guys have to say on things not related in debate as well.
Much love from your friend Flora! :)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
lol lol lol lol love your avatar Dean!!!:D

Thanks, Spitfire! I change the thing so much, but Benny is a hero of mine! I'm not trying to be anti-Canadian, either, since my family emigrated from Canada to Michigan, I picked it because Benny has a campaign hat on, albiet up-brimmed for the laugh, of course!

dean

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
To slow down...

Yes, the cars, the clothes, the hair, the look, the music, the movies...I love it all.

But, finding all of you and this forum takes me back when things moved a little slower, were a little more spread out, and when people knew each other and everyone in the town. People dressed up, went dancing, men courted women.

I know the 40's weren't the easiest times and I don't think I would want to live in that time period (I still like my modern conveniences) but I would be nice to bring a little bit of that past mindset to present.

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm here for many reasons, but mostly because of my passion for the 1920s to 1940s. Like others here, I got interested in old cars as a kid, and that drew me into other aspects of the Golden Era. And my parents, who were born just after World War I, fueled my interest by sharing memories of the era with me.

I find as I get older that I connect less and less with what modern society deems important. It's so nice to find a group of people that appreciates the niceties of the past, and keeps them alive in so many ways. This is a great group!

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I'm here for a lot of reasons, there's so much to love about the 20s-50s! History, music, dancing, radio, film, fashion, hair, jewelry, style, deco / moderne / googie architecture, deco / modern furniture, the lounge / bar / cocktail party scene, swing, tiki, surf, noir, planes, trains, automobiles, drive ins and theatres, I could go on and on.
I really like to immerse myself in this age and imagine how things were then. In my mind, the world must've looked a lot better. Buildings, cars, fashion, even advertisements. I also like that everything was made to last, things were manufactured correctly and not just cheaply. There weren't a bunch of 'throw away' products. Anyways, I'm rambling I'll stop now.

Dr Doran

I'm here because I don't know of another place to discuss and share pictures of vintage 1920s through 1940s culture, clothing, and accoutrements. If there were another one, it might not have the fun people who are here. (True, there might be other fun people.)

The next question is why I'm interested in this period. I have always had deep interests in many things of the period: writers like HP Lovecraft and Louis-Ferdinand Celine. Always loved jazz and swing, always loved old movies, film noir, DB suits, fedoras, old furniture, antiques, weird little old things like inkwells and dip fountain pens and old lamps and such. But aside from style, as people who have looked at my miso-1970s thread will realize, I am in a state of reaction: I am reacting to a handful of tendencies in American culture that, in some ways, reached their apices in that period, and the antidote to these is the 1920s-40s, as screwed-up as that period was.

Plus, I'm paying homage to my dad, born in 1921. He is still alive and still composing. He is 85 and when I grew up he wore wingtips and a suit and tie every day. He rode the redcar in Los Angeles when he was a boy and saw Duke Ellington play. His dad dragged him to an America First meeting in which they dissed FDR. My dad was in WW2, although only stateside. It was his period.

Elaina, I'm sorry about your experience. All I can say about no one responding to your pet situation is, by the law of averages that will happen sometimes. Once, after many years of throwing huge parties, I threw one and only 7 people came. It was just one of those things. Another time I gave a speech, for my dad's birthday in fact, a speech I had worked very hard on and was very pleased with, and only one out of some 50 people commented on it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I saw the neon and ducked in out of the rain. The music's mellow, the lights are low, and if the gal I'm talking to moves on, I think I'll stay. The conversation is generally congenial but you can always move on if it offends you. Just don't get tangled up with the couple at the corner table. They're so damned intense! Anyway, I'm sticking around 'til closing time. C'mon in. It's a jungle out there.

Dr Doran

carter said:
I saw the neon and ducked in out of the rain. The music's mellow, the lights are low, and if the gal I'm talking to moves on, I think I'll stay. The conversation is generally congenial but you can always move on if it offends you. Just don't get tangled up with the couple at the corner table. They're so damned intense! Anyway, I'm sticking around 'til closing time. C'mon in. It's a jungle out there.

Nicely put!

Foofoogal

Banned
I am here because it is so diverse and fun most of the time. So many different people with so many ideas. I love and sell vintage and antique so it is a perfect place to hang. lol
I know there is a place to see the ages but I wish they had a deal to show the states breakdown.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Hats, jackets and ...

... to admire HadleyH and all of the beautiful women here? lol

Seriously, I'm learning a lot about good hats and leather jackets -- that's the main draw. It has been educational.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass