Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question from a newbie: Why are Schott jackets not liked on such an authoritative resource as Fedora? Is it related to quality/design? Or with both?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Не могли бы вы порекомендовать другие бренды, помимо SCHOTT?
Here in FL, there is an agreement that the language used is English.
With the help of various translation tools, even I manage to communicate in English. If I can do it, everyone can. ;)

jeo

One Too Many
I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. Many people love Schott on here myself included.

Is that Russian? I did a translation. Were you asking for other recommendations?

LeoLeo

New in Town
Здесь, во Флориде, существует соглашение о том, что используется английский язык.
С помощью различных средств перевода даже мне удается общаться на английском языке. Если я могу сделать это, каждый может.;)
Я не думаю, что это обязательно так. Многие здесь любят Schott, в том числе и я.

Это русский? Я сделал перевод. Вы просили других рекомендаций?
oups! sorry

Observe

One Too Many
I think you'll find many people here like Schott, despite it being seen by some as an "entry level" brand. I've owned a few Schotts but don't have any in the stable at the moment.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
From my perspective part of the reason why people like me have a distaste for Schott is the confusion between the "real" US made high quality Schott and the EU made (maybe not made in EU, but for EU market?) overpriced garbage.

Aloysius

The anti-Schott attitude is mostly in old threads from 10 years ago when people thought jackets should only be made of 4oz horsehide (which turned out being relabeled cowhide…) and that anything that wasn't Aero or Japanese was bad.

Once we got more vintage fans in here, the qualities of American makers (past and present) got more recognized.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
IMO.... One of those things was the liner that was adhered to the HH on HH jackets ( not in practice anymore )....Seems everyone likes Schott jackets now. I know I do....

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Could you recommend other brands besides SCHOTT?

I don't accept the premise of the question. Schott is generally well regarded here. But there is a diversity of opinions among members of the forum, and different people have different tastes as well as different needs, expectations, and experiences. So of course some people don't like them for one reason or another.

Schott is not the highest end jacket maker in the world, there are other brands that produce better quality jackets, usually for a higher price than Schott. Although, in recent years Schott's prices have come up.

Schott gets credit for being a long-lived American made brand. Schott gets called out for overselling their history (for example, for taking credit for being the maker of the jacket worn by Marlon Brando in The Wild One, which is pretty reliably debunked here; the actual maker, Durable, was later bought out by Schott, so in some sense there is validity to Schott's claim, but in fact it was not a Schott-made jacket.)

Schott jackets are mostly mass produced, not built to order. The quality varies. Their special edition and limited edition collaborations are often of excellent quality.

Not all Schott jackets are made in the USA, or by Schott. Schott's label appears on jackets sold in Europe which are of a different quality and character from "real" Schott jackets made and sold in the USA. Somewhat complicating matters, it's possible to get a USA-made Schott jacket delivered to an address in Europe, so not every Schott in Europe is the "fake" Schott European line that we look down on.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
From my perspective part of the reason why people like me have a distaste for Schott is the confusion between the "real" US made high quality Schott and the EU made (maybe not made in EU, but for EU market?) overpriced garbage.

This!

My first Schott was the heavy cowhide Peacoat from ca. 1998. Super cool, indestructible and timeless. Then I bought a „European“ Perfecto in 2013 that turned out to be exactly the „overpriced garbage“ referred to here.

I owe it to @Aloysius and his 613SH post that I gave it another go. Glad I did!

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I’m a big fan of Schott and pretty much wear something made by them every day. I think there’s something interesting about a company that is both historically significant and still at it today under the same family ownership. I’ve often thought that if they’d gone out of business fifty or sixty years ago, any current detractors would be drooling all over them.

One thing about having a long run is that there’s bound to be some highs and lows both on the manufacturing front and fashion choices. There are tons of used Schott jackets available on the secondary market. This is a testament to both their popularity and durability, but despite the continuity of style numbers, not all are exactly the same. The cut has been tweaked a bit over the years to lean towards current trends thus a mid 80‘s Perfecto might fit a little different than an earlier or more recent take on the same model.

Despite being around forever, I think Schott may currently be experiencing their finest hour. Yes the prices have crept up and I personally could use a bit more taper to their “American cut” jackets, but all the new stuff I’ve seen lately has been pretty exceptional! Please check out the great thread on the Schott 613sh by Aloysius. Probably the best thing Schott is doing right now that’s not for the Japanese market. I couldn’t be happier with mine!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
If you just read a while on here, you will get many thoughts and learn a lot.
I do not own any Schott's at this time, but have samples them in the past and had no issues other than (often" "fixed quilted lining" ) in several of their offerings.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There are a lot of fashion Schotts. Some are even made in the US factory, but made with fashion leather, and sold through the mall retailers like Lucky Brand, Urban Outfitters...etc. And they go on sale for 60 off at the end of the season. I buy them. My perception of Schott was pretty low because of this. But the jackets were solid. Just crappy marketing. I would feel ripped off for paying full price for these fashion Schott jackets, even if they are US made. Heavy end of season discounting just cheapens the brand.

The 613/618 One Star is totally worth it imo. I have two of them. And if I find a third one I would not hesitate. They rarely go on sale, I've never seen them sold through the fashion chain. The pattern is awesome, I use it (25"L 618HH) as a benchmark now.

618HH
IMG_7080.JPG

613US
IMG_7548.JPG

Aloysius

There are a lot of fashion Schotts. Some are even made in the US factory, but made with fashion leather, and sold through the mall retailers like Lucky Brand, Urban Outfitters...etc. And they go on sale for 60 off at the end of the season. I buy them. My perception of Schott was pretty low because of this. But the jackets were solid. Just crappy marketing. I would feel ripped off for paying full price for these fashion Schott jackets, even if they are US made. Heavy end of season discounting just cheapens the brand.

Meaning what? The mainstream retailer collab Schotts are not made with flimsy materials. They’re standard jackets with a switch in leather color or lining, like when Nordstrom had its own run of the 519 with a wine rayon lining instead of quilted nylon.

I’ve never seen that kind of heavy end of season discounting. Even at the Schott factory clearance it doesn’t fall quite that low, you’d pay half the price of a jacket generally. If you’re getting something that cheap, it’s not because Schotts are built around an 80% markup; it’s because the store in question either mislabeled or absolutely needs to move out stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80